• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Namaste is originally a Sanskrit word. And it means “I bow to the divine in you”.

It’s believed that each of us carries a Divine spark within and the gesture is an acknowledgement of one soul by another.

In other words, Namaste in English means “My soul honours your soul. I honour the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the light, love, truth, beauty and peace within you, because it is also within in me. In sharing these things, we are united, we are the same, we are one”.

Cheers!
When we were at peak COVID, we had a tendency to "fold our hands" (prayer position) to each other with a physical representation of namaste.

namaste-hand-drawn-vector-20399758.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
{Thich} Generosity of spirit

Generosity is a spiritual word. It speaks of the type of relationship between a giver and a receiver.

It synthesizes the “fruit of the spirit” listed by Paul for the Galatians—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Each of Paul’s fruit contains generosity of the spirit. It is living with spiritual extravagance, giving self to others without self-centeredness, without judgmentalism, with nothing stingy or petty, nothing mean or small. Instead, a generosity of spirit reveals the dimension of our altruistic love—our willingness to give with no expectation of any kind of return compensation.

The generous person reveals a life of loving compassion, a passionate life lived with feelings of otherness. This person is genuine, caring, open and fully accepting. When approached by someone in need, his persona mirrors the affect of the petitioner and reflects the joy found in helping others. Her body signals gentleness and patience, perseverance and competence. Together, they reveal the ultimate in kindness. Their empathy establishes a depth and quality of relationship for whatever happiness or sorrow might be felt by the other. They are fully tuned to that person’s hopes and needs. They feel with the person. There is no condemnation, no criticism, no advice giving—only help is offered. The clock does not dictate the dimensions of their relationship. The generous person shares willingly and does not perceive time as a critical factor.

I believe God implanted a generous spirit in humans. Human impulses, somehow, bend in the direction of generous goodwill to others—not just in terms defined by money, but with a spirit that brings warm joy, friendship combined with helpful neighborliness.

Of course we also have free will. If we exercise this with a sense of superiority, haughtiness and negativity, the end includes only loneliness and isolation.

Read more here -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As someone with a Zen Buddhist background, I am familiar with the practice of Zazen, or mindfulness meditation.

However, loving-kindness meditation has been a powerful complement to my Zazen practice. While Zazen emphasizes the cultivation of concentration and awareness, loving-kindness meditation focuses on cultivating feelings of love, kindness, and compassion towards ourselves and others.

Incorporating loving-kindness meditation into my practice has helped me generate a sense of loving-kindness towards myself, which has been transformative. The practice has allowed me to develop greater self-compassion, which has helped me to approach my own struggles with more kindness and understanding.

Loving-kindness meditation has also helped me develop a greater sense of connection with others and approach difficult situations with more compassion and understanding, especially with my kids.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have put off entering paradise in order to help others attain enlightenment. There are many different Bodhisattvas, but the most famous in China is Avalokitesvara, known in Chinese as Guanyin.
Bodhisattvas are usually depicted as less austere or inward than the Buddha. Renouncing their own salvation and immediate entrance into nirvana, they devote all their power and energy to saving suffering beings in this world. As the deity of compassion, Bodhisattvas are typically represented with precious jewelry, elegant garments and graceful postures.

I first read about the Bodhisattva Vow in "Awakening the Buddha within" and it literally blew my mind.

Namaste!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Zen moments kindness - several -

There was a time in my life twenty years ago when I was driving a cab for a living.

It was a cowboy’s life, a gambler’s life, a life for someone who wanted no boss, constant movement and the thrill of a dice roll every time a new passenger got into the cab.

What I didn’t count on when I took the job was that it was also a ministry.

Because I drove the night shift, my cab became a rolling confessional. Passengers would climb in, sit behind me in total anonymity and tell me of their lives.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Quotes About Being Kind To Animals

There's a lot that we can learn from animals. Yet, humans are able to inflict lot of cruelty to animals. These quotes will help you see why we need to be more kind to animals. Animals are our friends, and we should all treat them as such.

In this roundup, I've hand-picked 29 of the best quotes on being kind to animals. Hopefully, these quotes will inspire you - or others - to treat animals as they treat us: with respect and kindness.

"Animals are a window to your soul and a doorway to your spiritual destiny. If you let them into your life and allow them to teach you, you will be better for it."

Kim Shotola, The Soul Watchers: Animals' Quest To Awaken Humanity

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."

Josh Billings

"The fate of animals is of far greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous."

Emile Zola

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We don’t have to give $100,000 or even $10; instead we can offer a smile or a loving, compassionate gaze. We can give the gift of our calm, concentrated presence to help someone who is fearful or anxious. We can make an offering of our time and energy and work with the homeless, or with those who are prisoners or are addicted to different substances, or to work on helping the environment. We have plenty of gifts to offer; we are far wealthier than we may imagine. We can help secure the happiness of many people even if we don’t have a single penny in our pocket. When we are motivated by the desire to give, even if we have not yet offered anything yet, just the intention to offer our help and understanding, our willingness to listen and communicate, begins to lessen our own and others’ suffering.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
To Be Kind, Be an Encourager

We live in a very critical world. Sadly, people are quick to criticize, and they are reluctant to offer praise. Given the harshness of our world, it’s no small wonder that so many people lack confidence in themselves.

Kind people are our only hope to fight the world’s negativity. That is because kind people encourage others. They are the type of people who go out of their way to comment when someone does something well. And they readily point out others’ gifts and talents.

But realize that encouraging others is something that we have to intentionally choose to do. For example, often a complimentary thought will float through my head. “Her hair looks great today.” Or “That was a terrific presentation.” But unless I catch myself, that idea will float out of my head just as quickly as it floated in! As a result, I try to make an effort to say those complimentary thoughts out loud whenever I can.

Realize that being an encourager has to be a conscious choice. Otherwise, those complimentary thoughts will just stay inside our brains. And the other person won’t benefit from those precious words of encouragement.

So choose to be kind by choosing complimenting over criticizing. Build others up instead of tearing them down. If you do, you’ll make the world a far more pleasant place to be for everyone.

Read the rest here -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are lots of factors that cause homelessness. People end up on the streets due to economic hardships, family issues, domestic violence, mental illness, or lack of affordable housing. This means that most of us are just a divorce or one serious illness away from homelessness. That’s why this is not just something the government alone can solve. Ending homelessness requires the collective effort of everyone from all members of society. And yes, that includes you.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The Biblical stories of Jesus overflow with acts of kindness. These acts almost read like a language in and of themselves and if we look under a blanket of kindness we find Jesus speaking love, joy and healing. It is where we find Jesus touching lives and making differences. Consider how he has impacted the world with such a gentle force that we can still see the fruit of his kindness today. Here are three Bible stories where we see his kindness at work.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What makes being thoughtful distinctive from other positive traits, is that it means more than just being nice to someone. Arguably, anyone can be nice on a surface level. But being thoughtful goes a lot deeper.

If you think about it, the very act of being thoughtful means someone has to actively notice people around them, reflect on situations and pay attention to others’ needs. And then they are choosing to respond in a loving and kind way to someone else.

I have a fantastic friend who used to be my colleague at work. And everything she did was extremely thoughtful! She always thought of others before herself and quite honestly, I was in awe of her.

So how thoughtful do you think you are? Does it come naturally to you?

That's another huge site!

Cheers!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Biblical stories of Jesus overflow with acts of kindness. These acts almost read like a language in and of themselves and if we look under a blanket of kindness we find Jesus speaking love, joy and healing. It is where we find Jesus touching lives and making differences. Consider how he has impacted the world with such a gentle force that we can still see the fruit of his kindness today......................
...... also I find Jesus displayed ALL of the fruitage of God's spirit as listed at Galatians 5:22-23 which list includes: kindness.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Advice being more generous

Several ... this one being the first to arouse my curiosity -

Generosity is the act of being kind, selfless, and giving to others. Despite being an act that is done to benefit others' well-being, generosity also paradoxically increases our well-being. So being generous is a fantastic way to improve your mental health and well-being. And being generous doesn't mean we do things we don't want to do. It means we find the ways we want to help and take action!

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime."

Dale Carnegie

Comes from this huge site - quotes on every conceivable topic - many I have never seen elsewhere in cyberspace!

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Kind words are the music of the world. They have a power which seems to be beyond natural causes, as if they were some angel’s song which had lost its way and come to earth. It seems as if they could almost do what in reality God alone can do — soften the hard and angry hearts of people. No one was ever corrected by a sarcasm — crushed, perhaps, if the sarcasm was clever enough, but drawn nearer to God, never."

Frederick William Faber

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
ananda.org love

For example -

The whole world is my home, and the human race, my family. With God’s kindness I embrace all men.

Affirmations for Self-Healing by Swami Kriyananda

Kindness is love in action. Paramhansa Yogananda counseled, “Be calmly active and actively calm.” To be consistently kind we need to consciously direct our thoughts and emotions by operating from our inner center with poise and grace. Through the practice of regular meditation we calm our restless thoughts, thus enabling us to respond with kindness, rather than just reacting to people and circumstances.

When we consciously choose to be kind, we experience an intrinsic feeling of love and joy. When we practice kindness we are focusing on the needs of others, thus also practicing self-forgetfulness. God can then use us as channels for divine grace, which in turn increases our capacity to manifest kindness.