• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When we talk of helping others, the first thing we usually think of is giving them material things or making cash donations. But there are a lot of ways to help others that don’t involve spending money.

Helping people isn’t just for those with millions in their bank accounts. Each and every one of us has something that we can offer to others. Be it your time, your knowledge, or your ability to crack some really good jokes – all of these can go a long way in making people’s lives a lot less hard. Just imagine how different the world would be if all of us strive to help one another.

If you’re wondering how you can serve others in your own little way, here are 100 ways to help others even if you’re not rich:

Loads at that site!

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You’re overwhelmed with the suffering in the world.

Your heart feels heavy,

Your stomach feels sick,

And your eyes are threatened with tears.

You see yet another story of suffering,

Another reminder of the darkness in our world,

And it makes you sick.

Whether the suffering has touched you directly,

Or someone you have never met,

You’re overwhelmed with suffering, these deep emotions are a reminder that we are all connected,

And that we’re all ultimately the same.

This feeling of overwhelm can make you feel helpless, or depressed, or hopeless.

So the intention of today’s meditation is to help you when you're overwhelmed with suffering; to help you flush out those deep emotions and to allow yourself to see that the only way to transcend the suffering in the world is through compassion, forgiveness and shining your own light as bright as you possibly can.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness story homeless

This is a story that happened 15 years ago but it has always stayed with me since then.

On the way back from work every evening, more often than not there would be a homeless man standing at the exit of the freeway. He looked to be in his late 40's but was probably a lot younger. He had shoulder length straight black hair a short beard, and he was of average stature.

His eyes were what struck me the most about him, they were brown and they had a sparkle. Like an inside light that was beaming out of his eyes. His eyes, I thought, represented the man in general. People say they can tell a lot from a person’s eyes. It was certainly true in his case. He always waved at every car, he was always happy and smiling and sometimes almost dancing.

Every day after work I would remember to gather any spare change, and put it aside to give to him if I saw him. A feeling of joy would come over me every time I saw him, as
I came off the ramp. He had that effect.

I’d quickly roll down my window and give him the coins. Occasionally the red light would be on for a minute and we would ask each other about our day. His answer would always be the same, “I’m blessed!”.

I knew what his answer was going to be every time, yet I would still ask. It amazed me that even in his situation of being homeless he was so positive, and his answer would remind me of how blessed I was. A single mother of four amazing kids, with a place to call home and with a job to provide for my kids.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Joyce Meyer has this to say - Pursue your relationship with God more than anything else and ask Him to show you how you can help others and lift them up.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to be a better friend

“Having recently supported a friend of mine through a suicidal crisis, I asked her what had helped. This is what she said: ‘Just knowing I could say anything and you wouldn’t judge me or freak out was the main thing. You asked what I needed, listened properly to what I said and were just super practical. I felt totally safe. I knew I could call on you at any time and although at times I worried I was a burden, I also felt a responsibility to you because you helped so much, and that helped me get through.’”

Associate Professor Jo Robinson, head of Suicide Prevention Research, Orygen

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Bible Verses to Help Us Love One Another

God loves us with such incredible love. He wants us to experience incredible, life-changing love, mercy, and compassion not only from him, but from those around us. And he wants us to show that love to others.

The call to love and help others in tangible ways — especially those weaker than ourselves — runs throughout the Bible. We’re to love our neighbors, foreigners, our enemies … there’s no getting out of it. The call to love is often difficult, but it’s also a reminder of how God loves us: relentlessly, completely, and without expectation of return.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Let Me Be A Blessing To Others

Scripture makes it clear that God blesses us not so we can live with greed, but so we can bless others. God loves a cheerful giver. When He sees that someone is giving freely out of love, God blesses them more. We are blessed to be a blessing. God has given everyone different talents to be used for the benefit of others.

You can be a blessing to others by speaking kind words, volunteering in your community, giving to charity, sharing things, giving food, sharing your testimony, praying for someone in need, listening to someone, etc.

There is always an opportunity to bless someone. The more we seek to bless others, God will provide for us and open more doors to accomplish His will. Let’s find out below more ways we can bless others.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It would be fair to say that kindness has become one of the most prized and talked-about virtues in contemporary society. Inspiring quotes on Twitter and Instagram regularly remind us to be kind. Blogs and TV commercials urge us to make the world and our lives better through acts of kindness.

All of which is a wonderful thing. Kindness is one of the most appealing of human qualities, enjoined by God and finding its source in him. Its popular embrace, especially in a cultural moment of polarized outrage, is an extremely welcome development.

But as with other virtues, there’s a risk of reducing kindness to an attractive sentiment that falls short of its practical implications. By contrast, the divine and human kindness portrayed in Scripture is far more beautiful and beguiling, and goes beyond just keeping a positive attitude and being nice to people.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Unicef Gaza

Almost every child in the Gaza Strip has been exposed to deeply distressing events and trauma, marked by widespread destruction, relentless attacks, displacement, and severe shortages of essential necessities such as food, water, and medicine. 

By donating today, you can help us be there for children and families who are in desperate need.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Of course, we all see particular opportunities for kindness in our everyday lives: Someone drops something and we pick it up for them, the person in front of us in line is short a few dollars and you offer to cover the difference, someone asks for directions and you pull out the map on your phone to show them the way.

But also, sometimes, we want to create our own opportunities for kindness: Going beyond the opportunities that naturally present themselves by intentionally working to make someone’s day.

At Good Good Good, we’re all about celebrating good news — and then joining in and becoming good news. Intentionally going out into the world to make a difference is our jam.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Being kind is an intentional act that benefits others for its own sake when one is not required to do so. It is generally regarded as a virtue. A kind person shows a genuine, deep, and selfless concern for people without expecting anything in return.

Dr. Malti at the University of Toronto believes that there are three components in the practice of kindness – kind emotions, kind cognitions, and kind behaviors.

Kind emotions include sympathy, empathy, respect, guilt for wrongdoing, and pride for acting ethically.

Kind cognitions come from understanding how the act of kindness affects others and ourselves.

Kind actions are the acts of prosocial behavior as simple as giving a helping hand, cooperating, or comforting another, or as complex as sharing with others or including the discriminated.