• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Teaching Kindness in the Classroom - several -

Kindness, empathy, compassion - as an educator, you know how HARD these concepts are to teach. You can’t make someone be kind to another person. You can’t make an individual have empathy or compassion towards another. Yet, we also know how critical these concepts are for our students’ overall mental and emotional well-being. Without empathy, there is no perspective-taking or opportunities to see things from another person’s point of view. Without kindness and compassion, our world grows cold and disconnected. These core values foster connection and trust with one another, promote understanding towards one another, and breeds a culture of positive relationships. This is why teaching kindness in the classroom is so important.

Plus some freebies at that site if you subscribe.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Also try this search - theconversation.com kindness -

Yet to fully explore ... here is one page -

After asking more than 3,000 students about kindness, I’ve learned a lot about just how children and adolescents understand and enact kindness, especially at school. The results might surprise parents and educators.

One trend in kindness research is to assess the effects of being kind on the well-being of participants. Researchers have found, across studies, that completing kind acts such as spending money on a stranger, counting the number of kind acts you’ve done each week and doing kind acts for people with whom you have varying social connections all boost well-being.

When I began studying kindness as an education researcher at the University of British Columbia, I noticed that, firstly, there was no measure to assess perceptions of kindness in school. Secondly, we knew very little about how kids understood and demonstrated kindness.

Full article here -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness offering to help - quite a few -

Below is a list of random acts of kindness ideas that you can do for people you may not know — it’s a list of acts of kindness ideas for strangers.

Why? Because when we’re kind to the people around us — whether we know them or not — we make the world a better place.

Simple acts of kindness don’t just accumulate — they rejuvenate.

Kindness lifts our spirits and warms our hearts — not only in the moment, but also long afterwards. It has a way of staying with us — it lingers.

Kindness inspires. Kindness empowers. Kindness brightens our days, betters our world, and makes us want to do more — to be more.

After all, what is kindness? Kindness is love in action.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Generosity

When you give to others, you’re not just making their day a little brighter, but you’re also improving your own well-being. Studies have shown that generosity can lead to increased happiness, decreased stress levels, and even a longer lifespan. Giving to others can also help you feel more connected to your community and society as a whole.

Generosity doesn’t have to involve grand gestures or large sums of money. Even small acts of kindness, like holding the door open for someone or offering a compliment, can have a big impact. These little things can create a ripple effect, inspiring others to be more generous and kind as well.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The daughter of an alcoholic brings hope and recovery to those facing addiction.

“I don’t operate from scarcity,” says Brooke Hamblet. “I’m the type of person who goes, ‘What if we did this? Or this?’ My ideas never stop.” That big-picture attitude has led Hamblet, whose own childhood was deeply impacted by her mother’s alcoholism and drug addiction, to launch the nonprofit Blue Butterfly Foundation, which has taught yoga to more than 35,000 clients in Fort Worth, Texas–area addiction centers, crisis-respite units (inpatient facilities for people in recovery), community centers, and mental-health clinics.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As a Harvard university–trained psychiatrist and Columbia University–trained Buddhist scholar—as well as the founder and director of New York City’s Nalanda Institute for Contemplative Science—Joe Loizzo, MD, PhD, is a pioneering researcher and educator at the convergence of mental health, yoga, and meditation. To share his discoveries, Loizzo will launch a 100-hour advanced training this October at Nalanda in yoga psychology, integrating the mindfulness practices of Indian yoga with Buddhist methods used to ease suffering.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Do you ever have to interact with difficult people? Yeah, me too. Whether it’s challenging co-workers, family members, bosses, or friends, we all have relationships with difficult people. It’s inevitable and as Christians, we are called to love them. Does that seem impossible? If so, we’d like to share 5 truths to help you love difficult people.

Jesus’ life is filled with examples of how to love people who may seem hard to love. He dined with Zacchaeus the tax collector in his home, despite the grumbling of others in the town. He protected the adulterous woman from being stoned, pointing out everyone’s need to be saved from sin. Jesus taught the story of the Good Samaritan as an example to Jewish people at a time when Jews and Samaritans bitterly despised each other.

Jesus prioritized loving people who were difficult, rejected, or outcast. As followers of Jesus, we need to love them as well.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I think that many of us would agree that we want a world that works for all, a world of peace, joy & love. Yet many of our conflicts and experiences of separation are rooted in our fears. If we look at places where conflict and war are rampant and we peel back the layers of concentrated separation, we find individuals who are often filled with fear just as we are. They (all of us really) are afraid that their need for love, respect, security or food - or whatever it might be - won't be met. At the core, our separation is about not trusting that there's enough for everyone - enough love, enough abundance, enough good, enough creativity, enough God and so on. We assume a scarcity mentality which creates conflict and separation.

James Twyman

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How can I help someone with depression?

Depression is a serious but treatable disorder that affects millions of people, from young to old and from all walks of life. It gets in the way of everyday life, causing tremendous pain, hurting not just those suffering from it but also impacting everyone around them.

If someone you love is depressed, you may be experiencing any number of difficult emotions, including helplessness, frustration, anger, fear, guilt, and sadness. These feelings are all normal. It’s not easy dealing with a friend or family member’s depression. And if you neglect your own health, it can become overwhelming.

That said, your companionship and support can be crucial to your loved one’s recovery. You can help them to cope with depression symptoms, overcome negative thoughts, and regain their energy, optimism, and enjoyment of life. Start by learning all you can about depression and how to best talk about it with your friend or family member. But as you reach out, don’t forget to look after your own emotional health—you’ll need it to provide the full support your loved one needs.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Blessings to those in need - several -

Sometimes, sharing a popular Bible verse with someone who is struggling will help remind them of God's love for them forever and always. Of course, this is not the only way to help those in need. Routinely giving back to charities, volunteering at local food banks, and being someone those can lean on in difficult times, are powerful and profound means to uplifting others. But Bible verses about helping others remind followers of Jesus Christ the importance of being kind and generous — regardless of any recognition you may receive.

Cheers

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Prayer to Live a Life of Gratitude and Kindness

God of enduring faithfulness, Your kindness to all peoples on this earth is evident through the sun’s daily rising and setting. Without the sun, we would all die. I am praying to You because I often forget of Your kindness and live a life of ingratitude. Ingratitude will cause me to react to others with unkindness, ingratitude, and thanklessness. Forgive me, Lord. I pray that You please keep Your acts of loving-kindness before my eyes every day so that I live a life of gratitude and thankfulness. If I have a heart given over to these, then I will exhibit them in actions toward others. May Your kindness be ever before me as I seek to be Your instrument of blessing in the lives of others. Amen.

Comes from this huge site -

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The healing power of kindness is amazing, but not many of us realize it. Indeed, just a small act of kindness can have a big positive impact on the world.

With our actions we are shaping our world, and hence the kind of life we are living. Different actions bring different results: an act of anger will bring hatred and violence, an act of kindness will bring love and compassion.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to support someone struggling with mental health

If you think your friend is having a tough time, it’s a good idea to reach out and offer support. You might have noticed they don’t seem like themselves, or they’re not acting the way they normally do. Finding the words to start a conversation isn’t always easy, especially when you don’t know what kind of help you can offer. But it can make a big difference to the person experiencing difficulties.

It can be as simple as checking in, letting them know that you care and that you’re there to help them. Even if they don’t open up much at first, showing them you have their back can give your friend strength and hope. This also lets them know you’re someone they can talk to if they do decide to open up later on.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ricard altruism

For example -

Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk who left a career in cellular genetics to study Buddhism in the Himalayas over forty-five years ago. He is an internationally bestselling author and an active participant in the current scientific research of the effects of meditation on the brain.

He lives in Nepal and devotes most of his time to 140 humanitarian projects in Tibet, Nepal and India. In Meng’s words, Matthieu is a true gem in this world. He may be the world's best bridge between modern science and ancient wisdom. In this talk, Matthieu presents his new book: "Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World”. He argues that altruism--genuine concern for the well-being of others--could be the saving grace of the 21st century.

Altruism is the vital thread that can answer the main challenges of our time: the economy in the short term, life satisfaction in the mid-term, and environment in the long term. His message has been taken up by major economists and thinkers, including Dennis Snower, Joseph Stiglitz, and George Soros. Altruism is Matthieu’s masterwork - the fruit of years of research, experience, observations, and reflections.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Be curious about what your friend is struggling with and how it’s impacting them. Instead of asking yes-or-no questions, ask open-ended questions to allow them to share their experience with you — questions like “What’s going on?” or “How long have you been experiencing this?” or “How are you coping?”

When they respond, use validating statements that will help them feel heard and accepted just as they are. Many people who struggle with their mental health may often blame or judge themselves about what they’re going through; some may feel that their struggles aren’t valid because they’re all “in their head.”

Even if you can’t completely understand or relate to their feelings or experiences, you want to communicate to your loved one that they’re perfectly OK — this can be as simple as saying “That sounds really difficult”.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness matters.

Every act of kindness you show can make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. Living out kindness on a daily basis takes practice, but leads to a lifestyle and mindset shift that implores us to meet the world — and each other — with greater empathy and justice.

Kindness asks us to extend our approach beyond niceties and good manners, and into transformative action, compassionate and intentional inclusion, and empowering solutions.

Kindness is a choice, a muscle we all flex, and could frankly use a little more of our attention.

To help us do so, we’ve collected the best quotes about kindness. We encourage you to share and use this list to help fill the world with more kindness.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Positive Psychology selfless behavior

Around the world, people give up time, money, and energy every day to improve the lives of others.

It can be as simple as helping a neighbor with their shopping. Or more noteworthy, putting themselves at risk to rescue a stranger, changing healthcare policies to benefit communities, or helping to rid the world of a devastating disease, impacting millions.

It's one huge site!

:)