• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” This iconic quote feels more true now than ever.

The world could do with a little bit more kindness. And perhaps that kindness should begin with me and you.

Of course, we all see particular opportunities for kindness in our everyday lives: Someone drops something and we pick it up for them, the person in front of us in line is short a few dollars and you offer to cover the difference, someone asks for directions and you pull out the map on your phone to show them the way.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Good news kindness - quite a few! -

In our day-to-day lives, there are moments when we get to decide whether we want to offer a helping hand. These gestures often feel trivial to us, but sometimes have the power to change the course of someone's life.

This kind of transformative experience happened to Bill Price when he was 15 years old.

Read more -

Unsung Hero -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Being kind even when people don’t deserve it is definitely hard.

Doing so shows the power of the Holy Spirit that lives in you.

Anyone can be kind to nice people. But it is only through God’s strength that we can show unkind people kindness.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We can all be kinder. Kinder to ourselves, kinder to others - even kinder to the planet. It’s often easy to take things for granted, especially when we’re all moving through life at a lightning-fast pace.

Being kind can provide a welcome break from the aforementioned hectic pace of life. With it, kindness can bring positivity to yourself and others around you too. There are many inspiring organisations working to create a kinder environment, including Be Kind Movement; a charity working to empower women and children with education. Their vision is a future where women and children are educated, in employment and actively contributing to the economy, to the community and to their personal wellbeing. Through their kindness, they are creating new opportunities, and promoting equality.

In recognition of Random Acts of Kindness day, here are a few ways to be more kind, show the people around you that you care for them, and potentially receive some positivity in return too.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Recently, someone commented about my loving-kindness meditation audio: “I don't WANT to wish others well!” This comment saddened me because I realized that with such an attitude this person is not likely to find contentment in his life. I assume that since the comment was made while reviewing my Stop Panic app that he experiences a great deal of anxiety. Believing as he does indicates that he is not open to looking within to find the solution to his anxiety. As a result, he may find some relief (such as from medicine) but he is not likely to fully comprehend how to manage anxiety and live a contented life.

What is this concept of wishing others well?

Many philosophical lines of thought over the ages focus on the importance of how we treat others. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up (John Andrew Holmes, 1773-1843).” When messages converge over the millennia there must be an element of truth in them:

Cheers!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This is the time when we constantly hear others and ourselves wishing a happy new year to everyone we encounter. Don’t get us wrong, it’s a lovely thing to do, but it can become mechanical if we don’t focus on our real intention to truly wish others well. Paying attention to fully and honestly wish others well is a completely different experience, and not only it will make you (and often the other person) feel good immediately, you’ll also be creating the building blocks for a long-term happy and resilient brain.

So for this first practice of the year we invite you to take a second and truly mean it when you say your wishes. And since this also happens in our daily life, when we say good morning or goodbye or enjoy your meal, this is a practice that you can use throughout the year. Yay!

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When you see a homeless person on the street, you’d probably feel pity for a second and then go about your business. Homelessness doesn’t concern you as long as you’ve got a stable job and a roof over your head.

Or so you thought.

Homelessness affects us all – whether we experience it or not. It’s a complex social problem that affects our communities in more ways than one. And it concerns you, whether you like it or not.

Plenty more at that site!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The best time to help others is as soon as you are personally able to. It is important to remember that you do not need to spend money or sacrifice hours to help those experiencing homelessness. Donate old clothes, participate in food drives, or volunteer at your local shelter. If you are unable to do any of that, simply educate yourself on homelessness and share what you know with anyone who is willing to listen. Small gestures may not seem significant at an individual level, but there are much larger implications to even the smallest acts of kindness. Any kind of help will not only leave an individual fulfilled, knowing one helped make a change, but it will inspire hope in others that someday, homelessness as a whole can be solved.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
So, last time we worked on sending love to our loved ones through our breath. This week we’re going to do a loving-kindness practice for the challenging people in our lives.

Managing how we deal with the people who stress us out or make us angry is no easy task. But as we’ve learned, it’s possible to use the breath as a tool. We can also depend on loving-kindness practice to serve as a kind of release for that stress and anger, too. These approaches can help us respond to people instead of react to them. And when we’re responding versus reacting, we have a lot more choices at our disposal.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I think first we need to determine, what is a difficult person? Oh wait, you already know that. We all do. It’s the person who makes us hesitate when we see their name come across our cell phone. Or groan when we turn into the wrong aisle at the supermarket. Or fidget with self-consciousness when we walk into a room.

Now you’re not going to like what I’m about to say, but I think it’s important that we ask ourselves some serious questions. Is she the difficult one or am I? Does everyone think he’s difficult or is it just me? Could this possibly be an issue with my outlook? Perhaps something rooted in jealousy, pride or ego?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Little John is just learning to walk. He’s making his first attempts to do this simple and so complicated action called walking. See him smiling and giggling and so faithfully making attempt after attempt to walk. He takes a few steps, he falls down. He gets back again. Then he falls again.

What would you say to him?

Version 1: “Oh, you poor baby, you fell. That’s terrible, this is not fair, stay there, I will carry you around!”

Version 2: “Ups, you fell. This happens when you are learning something new, and walking is new for you. Come on up, I know you can do this!”

Obviously you will never use version 1 and go for the sane version 2. If we do this for a child learning to walk, how’s it any different for an adult who “fell down” because of a break up or having trouble with his job, or some other difficulties he’s going through?

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to be more empathetic

Empathy helps you see things from another person’s perspective, sympathize with their emotions, and build stronger relationships—at work, school, and in your personal life. Here’s how to become more empathetic.

Yet another great site! :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think first we need to determine, what is a difficult person? Oh wait, you already know that. We all do. It’s the person who makes us hesitate when we see their name come across our cell phone. Or groan when we turn into the wrong aisle at the supermarket. Or fidget with self-consciousness when we walk into a room.

Now you’re not going to like what I’m about to say, but I think it’s important that we ask ourselves some serious questions. Is she the difficult one or am I? Does everyone think he’s difficult or is it just me? Could this possibly be an issue with my outlook? Perhaps something rooted in jealousy, pride or ego?

For me at least it's easier to treat a difficult person with kindness when I start with this perspective

"When you meet a being of bad nature,
pressed by violent sins and sufferings,
do not turn away,
but treat him as a precious treasure,
rare to find."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For me at least it's easier to treat a difficult person with kindness when I start with this perspective

"When you meet a being of bad nature,
pressed by violent sins and sufferings,
do not turn away,
but treat him as a precious treasure,
rare to find."

I love metta meditation - first read about it in "Awakening the Buddha Within" which was the first "spiritual" book I actually read ...

For anyone unfamiliar with the practice -

Enjoy your browsing!