• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In the Bible, we read a lot of stories about Jesus’ ministry. He healed the sick and performed miracles. But what we often fail to see are the lessons he is trying to teach us through those acts.

Let’s not forget that Jesus is a teacher – one of the greatest there is. He used parables and stories to teach us about the kingdom of God. But his greatest method is teaching by example.

His deeds taught us about many Christian values, such as kindness and compassion. He raised children from the dead out of pity for their parents and accepted disciples from all walks of life. Most important of all, he gave up his life so all of us can be saved.

Here are five more Bible stories of Jesus teaching us about kindness.

Plus the links at right hand side of page!

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Moving Bible Verses About Loving Others

For Christians, Bible verses about God’s love are a solemn refuge in times of trouble. But God’s love is intertwined with another kind of love: that of loving and serving others. Indeed, if we summarize the contents of the Bible, it all boils down to love – for God and for others. One cannot exist without the other. But for this post, we’ll focus on the latter.

When we hear the word love, we tend to think about the romantic kind. But love, especially love for others, comes in all forms and varying degrees. It shows in how we care for our children, respect our parents, and look out for our neighbors and strangers. It’s the reason why charity exists and why some people are willing to devote their lives to the service of others. If you think about it, love is essentially the thread that holds our society together.

From the Old to the New Testament, there are tons of bible verses about loving others. Here are some of them:

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Esteemed author and researcher Brené Brown once said, “Empathy fuels connection.”

In a world that feels deeply divided in many ways, those who are able to practice empathy have a unique ability to make a positive difference on large and small scales. Empathy gives us the power to compassionately understand the emotions and experiences of those different from us, to help others feel seen and known, and also to be mindful of how our actions and words affect others.

At Good Good Good we see empathy has the first step to feeling more hopeful about the world, allowing us to mourn bad news and problems before we join in creating solutions.

Practicing empathy isn't easy — especially when the stakes are high — but it's important.

Enjoy your browsing!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You can be extremely smart; you can consider all the poor; you can possess all wisdom

But plain, unadulterated love outshines any and all other things.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are countless quotations about kindness and about the path to creating a kind life. As I post them on my home page, I will also archive them here to create a growing library of inspirational quotes. Below the quotes, I plan to compile a list of books and films I have encountered that address kindness–either directly or indirectly. I invite you to send me your suggestions for additions to the lists.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Happy Monday Lovelies! I am so, so excited to gift you with this beautiful post by the ever so awe-inspiring Brené Brown today. I’ve been a long time fan of her blog, Ordinary Courage & I’ve mentioned her latest book, The Gifts of Imperfection: Letting Go of Who We Think We Should Be & Embracing Who We Are, here on KOM several times & this post is based on that book. It truly is a life-changing book. I’ve dog-eared so many of it’s pages & continue to go back to it in times of need. I’ve also gifted a few of my friends with it & they were so, so grateful. I plan on handing out a few more copies this year. Thank you so, so much Brené, for being the (whole)heart of our Kind Kindred family today. Thank you too, for reminding us that we are enough. Big Love & Peace to all of you, Amanda

Read the rest here -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The stark reality is that the world is facing the greatest humanitarian crisis since 1945: Mass starvations are threatening millions of people in South Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen, while an unmatched refugee crisis continues in Syria.

World Humanitarian Day is also a time to remember the sacrifice of those who risk their lives to serve. What often gets ignored, however, is the role that faith plays in people’s desire to give and serve. This is where I focus my research.

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are lots of reasons why people do good deeds.

Sometimes, people do good deeds out of a sense of religious duty or moral obligation.

Other times, people do good deeds because they believe that random acts of kindness will make the world a better place.

Then there are people who do good deeds because they want to get rewarded or look good in front of other people.

Indeed, these good deeds quotes shed some light on why people do good deeds and why you should too!

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - yogajournal.com kindness

What the world needs now, is more love, sweet love. It’s undeniable, as we’re bombarded by world news of hate-fueled terror attacks, discrimination, and injustice. The only remedy for such darkness has and always will be to bring more light into the world through the practice of love and kindness.

Luckily, there are plenty of people doing such good work—acts of kindness, random and targeted, large and small. Let them inspire you to take your yoga off the mat, rediscover the kindergarten spirit of Valentine’s Day (remember when you distributed love notes to every single kid in the class?) this year, and do something to brighten a stranger’s day. Everyday efforts like these can truly heal the world.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What the Bible Says About Kindness

We are surrounded by God’s kindness every day. Evidence of his kindness shows in our lives, in the Bible and in his character. Jesus set the ultimate example of kindness with his life. Following his example can be difficult, but God calls and equips believers to be kind. With this understanding of how important kindness is to God and in how we interact with the world, let’s check out Bible verses about kindness.

The kindness of God is our starting place for a holistic view of kindness. He made us for community with himself and other people. For any community to thrive, there must be kindness.

From God’s loving kindness, we start to understand how securely loved we are by God, and in that security, we can reach out to those we come across who need a reminder of kindness in their lives.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness Is Tough

We are swimming upstream these days when we look for opportunities to show kindness. In a culture where bullying is confused with strength and where insults fly from so many elected officials as a sign of “toughness,” we might fall for the lie that showing kindness is the wimpy way of compromise.

On the contrary, it is the strong person who can return good for evil, a blessing for a curse, and a compliment for an insult. The strong one is able to show kindness to the point of vulnerability; the insecure cannot abide any action that would threaten their tough exterior.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - womansday.com kindness

In addition to giving canned goods to food banks, consider a monetary donation to help the 49 million Americans who worry about getting enough to eat. Feeding America, a hunger relief charity, needs funds to provide meals to 60,000 soup kitchens and pantries. When you give $10 (which only buys a few cans at the store), you'll help supply 100 meals to hungry families. Find out more at FeedingAmerica.org.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What better way to kick off the new year than by reading this gem of a book, Have You Seen Luis Velez? Kindness, compassion, generosity, acceptance - this is what we all need and deserve, and this is what author Catherine Ryan Hyde serves up in this highly recommended novel.

Raymond is in high school, a good student with divorced parents of different races. He struggles with his own identity, making friends, fitting in with his family and feeling comfortable in his skin. When his best friend moves away, Raymond has time on his hands and he decides to help Mrs. G, a blind woman living in his apartment building. She is in desperate need of assistance and he volunteers to take her out to do some errands.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Combat Bullying – Learn How To Teach Your Children Empathy and Acceptance – The Kindness Advantage by Dr. Dale Atkins and Amanda Salzhauer

The world can often be harsh, and lucky for us, authors Dale Atkins PhD and Amanda Salzhauer, MSW are giving all families a leg up with tips and ideas for how to be kind in their new book, The Kindness Advantage, Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children. Based on research, this guide provides ways for adults to nurture kindness in our children, teaching them from a young age to be empathetic, compassionate fulfilled people.

According to authors Atkins and Salzhauer, The 10 Fundamentals of Kindness are:

Acceptance – Commitment – Connection – Empathy – Giving – Interest – Nurturing – Observing – Questioning – (be) Yourself

Each one is described and explained in the book, and applied to real life situations. Asking our children how they want to be treated leads to a discussion of how to treat others and in the book there are lots of examples and ideas on how to cultivate kinder children.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We can't help but judge others. It's the way we're programmed. What we can help, however, is the way we respond to those judgmental thoughts that pop into our heads. And it begins with recognizing that these judgments we make, especially the mean-spirited ones, really say more about the way we perceive ourselves than they do about the people we're judging.

To really move forward in our own journey's of self-love, self-acceptance, and body-positivity, we need to be keep a critical eye on the negative thoughts we entertain about other peopletheir qualities, their behavior, their bodies, and so onbecause when we refuse to accept others as they are, often times we're really struggling to accept ourselves as we are. After all, if we can't accept our own sources of insecurity, how can we accept them in others?

Below we have a few mental steps you can take to reframe your judgments of other people, to open yourself up in kindness toward others, and in doing so, find some kindness for yourself.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
According to Insight Meditation practitioner Devin Berry, who teaches Dharma and mindfulness through Buddhist meditation, the main practice of metta meditation involves reciting positive phrases toward yourself and others, including family members, friends, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, and anyone who may be a part of your life. Like other types of meditation, practicing loving kindness can help reduce the negative emotions you have toward yourself and others, which in turn benefits your mental, emotional, and physical health. If you're ready to get started, then here's what you should know about loving kindness meditation, including what it is, where it originated, and how you can practice it yourself.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When preaching to a newcomer, the Buddha always started on his graduated exposition of the Dhamma with generosity. And many believe that he placed it first on his list of spiritual perfections (pāramis) because it is the basis for developing those that follow. Because it is listed first, I think there can be a tendency to downplay it, to see it as a preliminary practice, or to want to step over it completely so we can get to the good stuff. “Yeah, yeah, let’s get on with it.” But dāna is not a tangent to the spiritual path; it is deeply fundamental. It is the foundation upon which all else is built.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There is an old Sufi story about the importance of cultivating generosity which asks the question, why does the beggar man beg? A seemingly crippled beggar sits in the central square all day crying, “Baksheesh! Baksheesh! Who will give me baksheesh?” Some pass by ignoring him, some give little, others give generously. He praises them all and asks that Allah bless them. At the end of the day, the beggar rises from his seat, walks normally over to the prayer fountain, tosses in the coins he has received, then goes home to his comfortable middle class house. So why does the beggar beg? The last line of the story answers, “He begs for me and thee.” This teaching asks you to reflect on how practicing generosity fits into your spiritual life. What form your generosity takes is up to you, as it can only come from your values and what you have to offer. Remember it is your authentic intention that matters, even if that is simply a sincere wish that in time you will become more spontaneously generous.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Love this site! -

In particular, you are generous whenever you “give no man or woman cause to fear you” – in other words, when you live in a virtuous, moral way. In Buddhism, the Five Precepts are the common, practical guide to ethical conduct: do not kill, steal, lie, intoxicate yourself, or cause harm through your sexuality. Quoting Bhikkhu Bodhi, referring to the Anguttara Nikaya: “By [the meticulous observance of the Five Precepts], one gives fearlessness, love and benevolence to all beings. If one human being can give security and freedom from fear to others by his behavior, that is the highest form of dana one can give, not only to mankind, but to all living beings.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The far-reaching attitude of generosity is based on the wish to become a Buddha to benefit others. Also, the far-reaching attitude of generosity is combined with the wisdom aspect that recognizes that this whole act of generosity is a dependent arising: it is dependent on the giver, the giving, the gift, and the recipient. In other words, this whole act of generosity is not inherently existent nor are any of its particular parts. This kind of attitude recognizing the emptiness of the action, and at the same time the fullness of it (in other words, that it is a dependent arising), is conjoined with giving to make up the far-reaching attitude of generosity. You can see, then, that it is very different from ordinary generosity, because when ordinary people give, even amongst Dharma practitioners, we very seldom think of the emptiness of the whole process. Instead of that, we would think of the emptiness of our pockets after we give. This is the wrong kind of emptiness to think of.

Generosity is the wish to give. It’s the wish to share. If we can actually give it’s even better. Sometimes, however, we don’t have the actual materials to give. Therefore, to avoid people thinking, “I can’t do the far-reaching attitude of generosity unless I am rich,” the Buddha said we can perfect this far-reaching attitude by developing the wish to give, because it is the wish that is the most important thing. If the wish is there, then when we have the material or whatever it is we might wish to give, then the giving comes quite naturally. But even if we have lots of things, if there is no wish to give then the giving doesn’t happen.

Another huge Buddhist site!