• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You can make a real difference in the world. You may not be able to find a cure for cancer or stop climate change, but you can do small acts of kindness that will have a positive impact on the people around you.

While people frequently underestimate the value of doing an act of kindness, a study published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology, found that a little good can go a long way in changing people’s attitudes about themselves. Acts of kindness can form a ripple effect that can make real positive change in the world.

You do not have to wait for Good Deeds Day on April 14, 2024 to begin to make a difference. You can begin today by doing one small act of kindness a week.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Did you know that there’s a day each year dedicated to spreading kindness? That’s right! Falling on November 13 each year, World Kindness Day invites people from around the globe to practice random acts of kindness towards themselves, others, and the planet.

While World Kindness Day presents a day dedicated to practicing kindness, this is something you can infuse into your life and practice daily.

By creating a positive environment through spreading kindness, the world as a whole can begin to support and help each other. Why not try some of these random acts of kindness to celebrate World Kindness Day?

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Listen to someone struggling -

Hearing someone’s bad news may feel distressing and uncomfortable. We want to reassure them. It’s tempting to want to make them feel better about the situation so we might try to rush them to a resolution; we want to tell them it’ll be ok; that this is an opportunity in disguise.

This can risk the person not feeling heard; their reaction not being validated. In doing so, we risk disconnecting with them at a time they may need our support most. Before opportunities can be seen to arise out of a challenging situation, there are many emotions to be processed, possibly grief, anxiety, panic, worry, distress.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A book found in Missouri has recently inspired a chain of good deeds, though not for the reasons you may think.

Ashley Joss was shopping at her local Target, when the book “Girl, Stop Apologizing” caught her eyes. The 27-year old had pledged to read more books, so she picked it up, got home, and began reading.

Shortly after she sat down with the book her dog barked, causing her to throw the book aside and revealing a hidden surprise- a $5 bill and a note hidden at the end of the book.

"To the person who buys this book, I am having a tough day,” The note reads. “I thought maybe I could brighten someone else’s with this little surprise. Go buy a coffee, a donut or a face mask. Practice some self care today. Remember that you are loved, you are amazing, you are strong. - Lisa"

Cheers!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Comic strip from today:

Pearls Before Swine Comic Strip for January 18, 2024

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Best kindness blogs

The very first has quite a few articles to read over -

For example -

Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most.

This quote is beautiful in the simplicity of it. We tend to be kind to those who are kind to us. But does it help those who are most in need of kindness?

Think about it for a second. Why are some people UNKIND? Maybe they have not experienced kindness in their life. I am lucky to have grown up in a kind family, surrounded by lots of kind people but this is not the same for everyone.

The unkind are perhaps the ones most in need of kindness. Whether it is to thaw their cold heart, or to provide an example of how it is to be done, the unkind need acts of kindness more so than those who are already kind.

I tend to surround myself with positive and kind people. I tend to avoid or navigate away from negative and unkind people. Avoiding unkind people is kinda expected. We may be concerned that an unkind person will deplete our reservoir of kindness, and we will be left with less. Or we might not bother to interact with unkind people. I get it.

Read the rest -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
An elderly woman in Massachusetts made the news last month, and no one even knows her name. The anonymous woman, known as the “layaway angel,” walked into her local toy store and paid off $20,000 worth of merchandise on layaway.

Within minutes, more than 150 customers were told their merchandise was paid for — all because the woman said it would “help her sleep better at night.” She simply wanted to be kind.

The moment I heard this story, I resolved to be more kind myself. Maybe I didn’t have $20,000 to give, but I could at least do something small — one act of kindness a day for a month. So that’s I did.

The journey was easier than I expected and more rewarding than I imagined. It’s one we all should take, and I’m here to share five compelling reasons why you should begin that journey today.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

The mission of Action for Happiness is to help people create a happier world, with a culture that prioritises happiness and kindness.​

We do this by helping people get together regularly (face-to-face where possible) to learn evidence-based skills for happier living, feel a sense of belonging and commit to personal action to create more happiness, both for themselves and others.

We have no religious, political or commercial affiliations and welcome people of all faiths (or none) and all parts of society. Members of the movement make a simple pledge: to try to create more happiness in the world.

Our patron is the Dalai Lama.

Read more -

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness virus?

Coronavirus has brought out the worst in people, with viral footage of frightened shoppers fighting each other for toilet paper circulating online, but it has also shown the selflessness of many.

Amid the panic, a Melbourne woman set up a Facebook page which has become a hub for sharing acts of kindness in these unprecedented times.

Catherine Barrett set up The Kindness Pandemic, eight days ago, and the group now has almost 300,000 members.

To get the full article -

The Kindness Pandemic: Sharing stories of kindness amid coronavirus panic

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Sometimes the person you need most in a trying moment isn’t a person you know at all.

A few months ago, we asked readers to share experiences in which a complete stranger went out of their way to help. The ongoing project, called The Good Kind, seeks to highlight the unexpected kindness that people have received from someone they didn’t know. These stories range from simple acts that brightened a person’s day to grand gestures that changed a person’s life.

Below is just a selection of the hundreds of submissions we’ve received so far. Read on about the good kind of strangers in this world.

Read the stories here -

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

The kind listener​

The kind listener is very supportive, encouraging and always on your side. They are best friends and always manage to interpret whatever you say in a positive light. They won’t challenge you because their aim is to make you feel good, valued and cared for.

Kind listeners are easy to be around. They are generally loyal and trustworthy and are very good conversation companions. Their relationships are usually better and last longer. Empathic listening is an important tool for being good parents.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Huge article -

Simply put, empathic listening involves reflecting back the emotions we hear; for example, “You sound angry and upset.” It shows understanding, encouraging the speaker to share more by validating them without judgment.

Ultimately, it requires us to suspend our biases and ego, showing that we are listening to understand rather than reply (Engel, 2018). For someone telling important truths about how they feel or sharing the experiences they are going through, nothing hurts more than not being heard.

Communicating empathically requires vulnerability for both the speaker and listener. Honest, open communication means the speaker leaves themself open to challenge or ridicule. It is not all one sided; the listener may also feel some of their hurt and pain.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From the Idea Pod site which is FAR bigger & better than I might have initially suspected!

Trust me when I say this: kindness – not Swiss francs – is the strongest currency in the world, transcending borders and cultures with its universal value. Unlike material wealth, kindness possesses the unique ability to foster understanding and bridge gaps between individuals.

When kindness is exchanged, it generates a ripple effect, inspiring others to pay it forward. This intangible currency holds the strength to heal wounds and restore faith in humanity.

And the beauty of it all? Its impact is immeasurable, influencing not only individual lives but also shaping the collective consciousness of humankind as a whole.

Ultimately, the richness of one’s life is measured not by material possessions, but by the depth of their kindness and the positive impact it leaves on the world.

To read the other 6 lessons, click below -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Plus this -

Empathy is a psychological trait that lets you feel attuned and sensitive to other people’s needs.

In today’s fast-paced and competitive world, it’s a quality that has become rare and overlooked.

I find this strange because nearly everyone has a sense of empathy in them.

If you’ve found yourself feeling jaded and disconnected from others, don’t worry. There are many ways to reset and activate your “empathy bone.”

In this post, I’ll show you some tips for becoming more empathetic.

Let’s dive in!

Read the suggestions here -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why is kindness so often considered weak or foolish?

Thanks to the current state of political discourse, we're hearing many, many conversations about what strength and courage look like.

To be strong and appear smart, we are told, we must never compromise. We must be louder than the person next to us. We must move forcefully through our opposition.

Our children are watching this whole process. If we fall into the trap of believing that brute force and aggression are more admirable than compassion, our children will too.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One of the ways that Jesus loved was by being kind. You may be familiar with the story of Zacchaeus, the “wee-little” tax collector. He climbed up a tree just to catch a glimpse of Jesus as He passed by. Many people would have ignored Zacchaeus, but Jesus did not. Not only did Jesus notice him, but He wanted to spend the day with him! As a result, this upset several people who had a low opinion of the diminutive tax collector. However, Jesus knew better. He knew how loving through kindness would transform Zacchaeus’ heart. Likewise, we have the same opportunity to share God’s love with others through kindness.

All the best!