• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
22563f51bb2003e5605dd7897723fb27.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Remains of 9,000-Year-Old Beer Found in China | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

Archaeologists in southeastern China have discovered the residue of beer drunk 9,000 years ago. The vessels containing the ancient dregs were located near two human skeletons, suggesting that mourners may have consumed the brew in honor of the dead, reports Gizmodo’s Isaac Schultz.

The researchers found the Neolithic artifacts at the Qiaotou archaeological site, a circular settlement with a mound in the center located in Yiwu City, Zhejiang Province. They recently published their findings in the journal PLOS One.

Several long-necked hu pots discovered in pits at the site contained starches, fossilized plant residue and the remains of mold and yeast, indicating that they once held a fermented alcoholic beverage. Hu pots were used for drinking alcoholic beverages in later periods.

“Our results revealed that the pottery vessels were used to hold beer, in its most general sense—a fermented beverage made of rice, a grain called Job’s tears and unidentified tubers,” the study’s lead author, Jiajing Wang, an archaeologist at Dartmouth College, says in a statement. “This ancient beer though would not have been like the IPA that we have today. Instead, it was likely a slightly fermented and sweet beverage, which was probably cloudy in color.”

ScienceAlert’s David Nield writes that archaeologists try to determine the value ancient people placed on particular foods partly by considering how difficult it would have been to collect or produce them. Given the ingredients and the brewing process involved in making the beer, the researchers suggest it may have been part of a burial ceremony.

Qiaotou is one of about 20 archaeological sites in Zhejiang that were part of the Shangshan culture, which researchers believe was the first group to begin cultivating rice, around 10,000 years ago. Per Xinhua, researchers discovered the Shangshan sites, which date back as long as 11,400 years, between 2000 and 2020.

The Qiaotou beer-making operation wasn’t the world’s first. Earlier examples in the Mediterranean region, including a brew that the ancient Natufians made from wheat, oats, barley and other ingredients in what’s now Israel, date to 13,000 years ago.

Some researchers argue that the production of alcoholic beverages may have helped build social relationships and encourage greater cooperation in ancient times. The authors of the new study say this could have been a factor in the gradual development of complex rice-farming societies over the following 4,000 years in Zhejiang.

For thousands of years, humans have been drinking beer, and arguing and fighting with each other over whether it tastes great or it's less filling.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
winning after a nice 20 minute nap in my basement that Mrs Wu did knew nothing about

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It's My Birthday!
I nearly won making an iced tea that tastes close to a lemon drop. But it's not quite there yet so I it's not quite a win yet.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
#define the_cows_come_home = 1;
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
do {
echo( "I win\r\n" );
} while ( the_cows_come_home );
}

Last edited: