• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Winning by not listening to "doctors" on right wing radio
who push Ivermectin & hydroxychloroquine as cures for
Covid 19. These unnamed doctors know the plot to push
vaccines on us. And they're not part of the conspiracy
of Big Pharma, Johns Hopkins, The Mayo Clinic, CDC, etc.

My helper showed up today.
The only truth in news is right wing Christian stations.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It's My Birthday!
venture-brothers.gif

Shadow Wolf

It's My Birthday!
Winning by not listening to "doctors" on right wing radio
who push Ivermectin & hydroxychloroquine as cures for
Covid 19. These unnamed doctors know the plot to push
vaccines on us. And they're not part of the conspiracy
of Big Pharma, Johns Hopkins, The Mayo Clinic, CDC, etc.

My helper showed up today.
The only truth in news is right wing Christian stations.
One radio sermon that has always stuck with me, for one reason as a Christian and now for other reasons, was some wanker saying he'd rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage (4.75 or 5.15 at the time) than work at Microsoft for all the money in the world.
He loses and I win for escaping that cult and being able to enjoy finer things that making more than poverty wages enables.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One radio sermon that has always stuck with me, for one reason as a Christian and now for other reasons, was some wanker saying he'd rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage (4.75 or 5.15 at the time) than work at Microsoft for all the money in the world.
He loses and I win for escaping that cult and being able to enjoy finer things that making more than poverty wages enables.
It was a disability (IMO), in the sense that it's
a mental condition that interferes with a major
life activity.
Ref...
Definition of DISABILITY
This application of the word raises objections, but it fits.

Shadow Wolf

It's My Birthday!
It was a disability (IMO), in the sense that it's
a mental condition that interferes with a major
life activity.
Ref...
Definition of DISABILITY
This application of the word raises objections, but it fits.
It really is. One such concern is how bad it is for normal development for children doe them to be constantly threatened with eternal hellfire and frequently being called a nasty, filthy sinner who is lower than dirt, have flawed and sinful thinking that makes it impossible to trust intuition and instinct, and they deserve nothing better than eternal damnation.
If religion didn't get the get out of jail free card it gets that sort of thing would be condemned as the child abuse it is.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If we were living back in the 16th century, they'd likely recommend ground boar penis as a treatment.

16th Century Medicine (davidwball.com)

Treatments

Dried ground boar penis could cure pleurisy, while pigeon dung was helpful for eye irritations. Grease was applied to burns, and verbena was prescribed for the bite of a rabid dog.

Blood-letting was the most common treatment for alleviating symptoms of disease and for releasing malignant humors. One palette of blood—precisely three ounces—was let for pleurisy, and was drawn from the elbow of the arm opposite the affected side. Two to four palettes were drawn from the chest to cure peripneumonia. The basilic vein was bled for difficulties of the liver or spleen, while the temporal vein was tapped for melancholy or migraine. Every malady had its vein, and every vein its malady.

Though a man of science, Pare believed in witches and devils, and of course in the miraculous cures of God, whom he never failed to credit for his successes..

Assorted medical wisdom of the 16th century:

• God implanted the soul in the embryo forty days after conception. The soul controlled growth and nutrition, sensation and motion, and all rational activity.

• The liver created blood, which was used by the brain to create invisible nervous spirits which flowed through the nervous system and were vectors of sensation and motion.

• Women were nothing more than imperfect versions of men.

• Individuals were either sanguine (hot and moist), choleric (hot and dry), phlegmatic (cold and moist) or melancholic (cold and dry) according to their predominant temperaments.

• Disease struck when one or more parts of the body became disturbed by an external cause. According to Hippocratic tradition, there were six non-naturals, whose good or bad management maintained the body in a state of health or provoked disease. These were air, food, and drink, exercise (including sex) and rest, sleep and wakefulness, bodily evacuations, and the passions of the soul.

• Gluttony, over-exercise, anger, and sexual athleticism were the sure harbingers of disease. Hunting to excess could raise the body’s temperature, overheat the heart, and launch a fever.

• Diagnoses could be made from the nature of excrement, and tint of skin. A lemon-yellow color suggested a blockage of the liver; a brown complexion an obstruction of the spleen; a black tongue, an ardent fever; hooked nails, phthisis, red cheeks, peripneumonia.
--from The Medical World of Early Modern France
Laurence Brockliss & Colin Jones. Oxford, 1997.

Medical science has come a long way these past centuries, beyond stone knives and bearskins.