• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
207.gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't understand the American obsession with Halloween.
Perhaps it is the season here. I could not see doing Halloween in the spring. Also our seasons vary a bit more than Australia's. Snow is common in the winter in a good chunk of America and Halloween is almost at that time of year. With autumn well underway a lot of life looks as if it has died. Spooky pessimistic times. In the spring you can see everything coming back to life. That is the opposite of Halloween, it just cannot work there. You would have to have it in May.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Perhaps it is the season here. I could not see doing Halloween in the spring. Also our seasons vary a bit more than Australia's. Snow is common in the winter in a good chunk of America and Halloween is almost at that time of year. With autumn well underway a lot of life looks as if it has died. Spooky pessimistic times. In the spring you can see everything coming back to life. That is the opposite of Halloween, it just cannot work there. You would have to have it in May.

I can accept that but it's not really what I don't understand. It's the nervous distrusting society that once a year lets its most vulnerable out on the streets to beg for lollies off strangers bit I don't understand.

It's slowly becoming more popular here from marketing by the confectionery companies and supermarkets.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can accept that but it's not really what I don't understand. It's the nervous distrusting society that once a year lets its most vulnerable out on the streets to beg for lollies off strangers bit I don't understand.

It's slowly becoming more popular here from marketing by the confectionery companies and supermarkets.
These days very few kids go out on their own. Parents are usually there. I really can't say that much about my youth, but I do believe that then we would go scrounging for ourselves with parents not worried. Being more worried about kids is a more recent activity. Heck even in first grade on my brothers and I would walk to school alone. Probably about a half a mile. Well there was a short period of time where we did live right next to the local school, but that was only the first half of first grade for me.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
These days very few kids go out on their own. Parents are usually there. I really can't say that much about my youth, but I do believe that then we would go scrounging for ourselves with parents not worried. Being more worried about kids is a more recent activity. Heck even in first grade on my brothers and I would walk to school alone. Probably about a half a mile. Well there was a short period of time where we did live right next to the local school, but that was only the first half of first grade for me.

But you're old SZ, was the internal combustion engine even invented back in your school days?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Back in the dark ages when "free range" children were just children, we went out on our own. Then in adolescence, we still went out on our own but then thinking of things to do that I can't mention because of RF's rule 6. Fortunately no one was injured.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Back in the dark ages when "free range" children were just children, we went out on our own. Then in adolescence, we still went out on our own but then thinking of things to do that I can't mention because of RF's rule 6. Fortunately no one was injured.
In my adolescence my closest neighbor was a half a mile away. Quit a ways to pull a prank, especially when it is all but guaranteed that the homeowner had a shotgun. It would be an oddity if they did not have one. The neighborhood was pretty safe from adolescent antics.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Some kids egged a house and a few cars last night here, there's a facebook posse out to lynch them.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
nope, no way, I've seen that VW commercial before.....

If i went trick or treating, this would have been my costume...

A1nYNISnPeL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7CA1Jbpf-7ZLL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0._UL1500_.png

I'd fool them.... I'm a Kodiak

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
nope, no way, I've seen that VW commercial before.....

If i went trick or treating, this would have been my costume...

A1nYNISnPeL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7CA1Jbpf-7ZLL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0._UL1500_.png

I'd fool them.... I'm a Kodiak

That is so easy to misread, as "im really a grizzly berk"

Edit For me to misred