• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
8e446eb1fea199a34e56595fa10c4e72.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Today is Arizona's 112th birthday.

112 years ago today, President William Howard Taft sat in the Oval Office with a decision to make. In front of him, for the second time, sat legislation to make the Territory of Arizona the 48th state in the Union. This time, Taft signed it, ending Arizona’s long journey to statehood.

Apparently, the government had some trepidation about making Arizona a state. Taft vetoed Arizona's admission in 1911.

Though people have lived on the land where Arizona now sits for thousands of years, Arizona Historical Society’s Staff Historian Jaynie Adams said there were three major reasons that the United States federal government was apprehensive to add Arizona to the country.

1. Population density: Tthe federal government worried that Arizona didn't have a dense enough population to send representatives to Congress.

2. Concerns of Confederate sympathies: Arizona was briefly part of the Confederacy during the Civil War, so many of its residents were either Democrats, Confederate sympathizers or Confederates themselves.

3. What Adams calls "good, old-fashioned racism": Due to its history as part of Spain and Mexico, some members of the federal government were concerned about how many Spanish-speakers there were in Arizona, as well as how many indigenous peoples lived within its borders.

Why did President Taft veto Arizona's first attempt?

Arizona's first constitution was what Adams called "big 'P' progressive." It backed child labor laws, votes for women, prohibition, citizen referendum and, most controversially, judge recalls.

az_flag_cake.jpg

The Arizona flag is upside down, so I guess this would be an upside-down cake.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Today is Arizona's 112th birthday.

Apparently, the government had some trepidation about making Arizona a state. Taft vetoed Arizona's admission in 1911.

az_flag_cake.jpg

The Arizona flag is upside down, so I guess this would be an upside-down cake.
A Canadian point of view..

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Its been very political here today. Ares tried to arrest his cat.

Ridiculous! You can't arrest Cub. You haven't read him his Miranda Rights.

So Ares got to practice both his reading and speech by reading those, and then Cub had a trial in the dining room. He was represented by Lucky, the oldest of the cats, and the court was presided over by Judge Yudhi, who dismissed the case.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Its been very political here today. Ares tried to arrest his cat.

Ridiculous! You can't arrest Cub. You haven't read him his Miranda Rights.

So Ares got to practice both his reading and speech by reading those, and then Cub had a trial in the dining room. He was represented by Lucky, the oldest of the cats, and the court was presided over by Judge Yudhi, who dismissed the case.
That sounds amazingly normal to me. Was that your feeling about it?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds amazingly normal to me. Was that your feeling about it?
There were a lot of little 'not normal' details in between that I won't bore with, but still kept things in the Chaos realm. It was a positive experience overall(except for Cub, who did not really want to be arrested), however. Not all Chaos is bad.

I was thinking more it was nice to be able to 'teach' something again. A lot of our homeschool lessons were informal things like that, though for so long Ares wasn't engaging in much of those kinds of activities.