• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am not so sure. If it is "hard cider" that would be like cooking with wine. People do that all of the time. Where cooking with grape juice would likely be a disaster. Also "cider" can mean unfiltered and raw apple juice. But I have even seen it on apple juice where they may have only added just a touch of color. At any rate I have added fruit to pancake batter too. So I am not even be adverse to using highly processed apple juice, but I have found the less processing the more flavor so would prefer even soft cider.

Anyway, I try to keep an open mind about cooking.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, regular apple cider. And apple cider and apple juice are not the same thing
They should be different, but I have seen examples where the label was just a matter of convenience. When it is highly processed apple juice and they can all it "cider" just because of a touch of color think that is an abuse of the term myself. And sometimes not even a touch of color. In the US there are no standards on what you can call cider vs juice:
2m3pffwp8mk81.jpg

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Alcoholic apple cider? Too often apple cider and apple juice are the same thing.

Cider is alcoholic on this side of the puddle.

As is raw cider, scrumpy but more

4 guys i know went on holiday to scrumpy land. One night out 2 had beer, 2 had scrumpy, the real stuff, home fermented and filtered through straw. "Nothing about this apple juice" said one as he stood to order another round of drinks. Over the back of the chair he went and landed unconscious on the floor. The other scrumpy drinker, sitting opposite stood to lean over the table saying "whas up wiv im", lunged forward and collapsed, unconscious across the table.

Moral of the story, don't move after drinking scrumpy

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Cider is alcoholic on this side of the puddle.

As is raw cider, scrumpy but more

4 guys i know went on holiday to scrumpy land. One night out 2 had beer, 2 had scrumpy, the real stuff, home fermented and filtered through straw. "Nothing about this apple juice" said one as he stood to order another round of drinks. Over the back of the chair he went and landed unconscious on the floor. The other scrumpy drinker, sitting don't move after drinking scrumpy
Here we have a program for young women with the acronym WIC: Women with Infant Children. I have been behind a poor young woman more than once in the grocery store that held up the line because she was new to the program. It is an additional program to food stamps which can be, and to often are, used for everything. It is an oddly dated program where they still have to use paper checks, something that these young women have probably never used in their lives and what they can buy with them is severely limited. For example in the picture above you will see two identical products. They cannot buy the one on the right because it has the name "cider" on the label.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The whole WIC program, including the antedated paper checks/extremely limited products is intended to shame poor young mothers as "welfare queens" to the rest of the community...imo...
They get debit cards for it now.

Here we have a program for young women with the acronym WIC: Women with Infant Children. I have been behind a poor young woman more than once in the grocery store that held up the line because she was new to the program. It is an additional program to food stamps which can be, and to often are, used for everything. It is an oddly dated program where they still have to use paper checks, something that these young women have probably never used in their lives and what they can buy with them is severely limited. For example in the picture above you will see two identical products. They cannot buy the one on the right because it has the name "cider" on the label.
As a person who's used the WIC program a few times, I can tell you the amounts are a pain in the ***. For one thing, there's the assumption the mother is a Wal-Mart shopper. Many of the products are cut for amounts only found on Wal-Mart products, or the approved items(very specific, like honey flavored yogurt) are only found at Wal-Mart. (No way in hell you're getting me in Wal-Mart; I went with less on certain items.)

They are trying to improve the program, though. Its come a long way from when LeeAnder was a baby to when Yudhi was. I actually didn't use it when LeeAnder was a toddler because it was mostly milk, and he was lactose intolerant. Couldn't substitute for soy or nut milk(you can now).

I will say, it does provide almost all of the formula for those unable to breastfeed. That's a huge advantage.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I used WIC when my kids were small and it was a life saver. I never shopped at Wal Mart by the way, I hate that entire place.
Same.

I appreciate how far they've brought the WIC program.

I used to enjoy the appointments. I didn't need the education, and the workers picked that up, and appreciated me for it. Instead, we would converse... I struggle to find people to talk to in the real world, so the company was welcome.

Ares tried to pull the fire alarm once. The lady who did the intake would always watch him for me after that when I came in; that was so very thoughtful of her. No judgement, just "you've got your plate full. Let me relieve you for just a little bit."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The whole WIC program, including the antedated paper checks/extremely limited products is intended to shame poor young mothers as "welfare queens" to the rest of the community...imo...
Yes, I never blamed the women for the hold up in the line and the cashiers would always apologize for the inconvenience, but I would tell them that it was not a problem. Now I almost always do self check out so I have not seen an WIC users lately. Though in some areas self check out is ending because of excessive shoplifting. It has not changed in my area yet.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Same.

I appreciate how far they've brought the WIC program.

I used to enjoy the appointments. I didn't need the education, and the workers picked that up, and appreciated me for it. Instead, we would converse... I struggle to find people to talk to in the real world, so the company was welcome.

Ares tried to pull the fire alarm once. The lady who did the intake would always watch him for me after that when I came in; that was so very thoughtful of her. No judgement, just "you've got your plate full. Let me relieve you for just a little bit."
I totally get not needing the education and having the workers to talk with. Same here.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of young women need that sort of education, but it is nice to hear that they do not force education on people that do not need it. Treating people with respect and giving them a much needed break can be a valuable social service as well
Indeed. They always seemed happy "Oh, you know this... great!"

I used to spend a lot of time with one of the nutritionists, discussing world cuisines. She was also vegetarian, so we could talk about adjustments for that as well. We even respectfully discussed our religions(learning about the others', not pushing our views). I was sad to see when she'd retired(though was happy for her, that she did).

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
A lot of young women need that sort of education, but it is nice to hear that they do not force education on people that do not need it. Treating people with respect and giving them a much needed break can be a valuable social service as well
Amen to that.