• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
People need to accept Cookie Monster and become chocotarians. Sesame Street is the truth; other educational TV programs are wrong.

5654f91731f3c5d3a4272d2365986b2a--cookie-monster-eating-cookies-cookie-monster-party.jpg

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Volunteer to be eaten - taking advantage of pure, innocent tomato plants. What is this world coming to?
Interesting. Similar thoughts were coursing through my mind last evening during these comments.

Why are cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and other animals that we eat considered protected by some when plants that are no less alive don't seem to have any defenders?

PETA doesn't care. Vegans definitely do not care. Rabbits don't care.

Too philosophical for this thread, but interesting none-the-less.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Why are cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and other animals that we eat considered protected by some when plants that are no less alive don't seem to have any defenders?

Some plants have defenders within Hinduism. The Tulsi plant, for instance, is deeply revered and cared for by Vaishnavas or followers of Vishnu.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Some plants have defenders within Hinduism. The Tulsi plant, for instance, is deeply revered and cared for by Vaishnavas or followers of Vishnu.
Thanks for the new information. I hadn't thought of spiritual significance or the practical application of it towards plants.

Is the defense to the point that the plants aren't harvested and used or is it more of reverence and care?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know very much about it, really. All I know (so far) is that many Vaishnavas revere her (the plant).
It might be worth a thread. I'm not sure. I have a mixed record for maintenance of threads I create and don't want to just make another that trickles off with few if any fundamental points addressed.

I don't want to belabor it here either, but still and interesting idea.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Now you know. Not too many people know about this because the Jain religion is mostly confined to India.
I am only familiar with the awareness that it exists and nothing really beyond that.

That, sadly, is a condition personally applicable for a lot of things.

So much to know. So little time.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is the same situation that I am in with respect to passels and passels of things.
I often try to comfort myself that much is trivial and there is no value for knowing and no harm for not knowing.

Then I remind myself that it is often some trivial thing that is a key element if only I had known or had the knowledge to recognize it.

And I'm right back to my previous position lamenting knowledge and time to learn it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
@Dan From Smithville, I should have mentioned in my previous post that adherents of the Jain religion are taught not to consume root vegetables. This is because their view that killing a plant in order to eat it is violent.

Back in the day, only the most powerful warriors could take on a plant and win. Plants weren't always these nice green things that grow out of the ground. They were once an evil that had to be tamed.

dfzvlao-0f22459a-62b6-4da0-8437-d858498f931e.jpg