• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
We would be compatible. No fights over who got the crust of the vienna loaf like there was at lunchtime today with me and the Mrs.
My father and my grandmother once had a friendly battle over getting the crust..... my grandmother cut of the end of a newly baked loaf (she had baked) of bread...my father cut off the other end..... my grandmother then cut off the top...my father cut off the bottom...... my grandmother then cut off a side...and my father cut off the other side...... so we finally had a loaf of bread with no crust at all...

Wu Wei

If Steve Martin wants to lie to get American laughs that's up to him. I was asking you a serious question...
relax, breathe...... its all good.... for future reference..... many of my posts in this thread are not serious....some are...but very few...... and that Steve Martin bit, I have posted on here before, a few times actually, but it is 47 years old

and for the record..... you did not post a question....see below
Actually. About 40,000 french words are the same or similar in English. Just the pronunciation differs.

If you want an easy trick to learning french just shout.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I believe in American English, it's spelled PEROGATIVE.

From Google "perogative or prerogative"

The correct spelling for the word is prerogative. It means a right or privilege exclusive to an individual or group. A common mistake people make is spelling it as 'perogative'. It's easy to miss the first 'r' when pronouncing it, leading to this common error.​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
relax, breathe...... its all good.... for future reference..... many of my posts in this thread are not serious....some are...but very few...... and that Steve Martin bit, I have posted on here before, a few times actually, but it is 47 years old

and for the record..... you did not post a question....see below

My bad, i missed the question mark, never mind

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
From Google "perogative or prerogative"

The correct spelling for the word is prerogative. It means a right or privilege exclusive to an individual or group. A common mistake people make is spelling it as 'perogative'. It's easy to miss the first 'r' when pronouncing it, leading to this common error.​
WOW, Google or Bing didn't even catch it.

Wu Wei

I believe in American English, it's spelled PEROGATIVE.
prerogative - US English
prérogative - French
Pronunciation is a bit different though the french is closer to Prerog-a-teev

I should probably say this in order to not offend...on a serious note

There are some different spellings between British English and American English that may be causing some confusion when discussing language with someone not familiar with USA English spelling.... but I will not get into that... to allow cooler heads to prevail

But pronunciations are very different..... it is the French word with WAY to many consonants and vowels in the wrong places, from an American english speakers perspective, that make pronunciation hard. And fpr the record, I have no trouble with Chinese pinyin pronunciations

English - West
French - Ouest
Pronounced pretty much the same, but I would never figure that out by the spelling. That is my biggest issue with French

déjeuner (lunch) is roughly pronounced Day-je-nee

océan = Ocean, but is pronounced Oh-See-On

chaude, from an American english perspective is not easy to pronounce correctly due to spelling...it is pronounced 'should' and it means 'warm'

And there are many more I can't think of at the moment..... and Mrs Wu, trying to pronounce French anywhere near correctly is darn near impossible

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
My father and my grandmother once had a friendly battle over getting the crust..... my grandmother cut of the end of a newly baked loaf (she had baked) of bread...my father cut off the other end..... my grandmother then cut off the top...my father cut off the bottom...... my grandmother then cut off a side...and my father cut off the other side...... so we finally had a loaf of bread with no crust at all...
So......your family was the basis for the ' Three Bears' fable......remember you're under oath!

Wu Wei

So......your family was the basis for the ' Three Bears' fable......remember you're under oath!
NO, that was porridge, chairs and beds.... I'm talking bread, bread and only bread...besides, I have well paid and well threatened witnesses that will tell you I had nothing to do with that whole 3 bears thing

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
NO, that was porridge, chairs and beds.... I'm talking bread, bread and only bread...besides, I have well paid and well threatened witnesses that will tell you I had nothing to do with that whole 3 bears thing
Any bread left....you're making me hungry.