• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, can you video him saying he's done and then later show him a video that clearly shows he's not done?
I haven't got the means to video(no smartphone, and a tantrum means I have all four paws in use anyways), but I've tried similar...

"I know you said you're done, but you peed on the couch an hour ago, and attacked me 5 minutes ago."

"Ares, he's done with that now. He's being good."

(And then you tell him he'll have to show you he can do that for longer, and he'll throw, or hit, displaying he isn't ready, but I'm not sure he has the comprehension to understand he's proving your point.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He struggles, because when he's not in meltdown mode, he genuinely believes he will never go into meltdown mode again. He says he's done, he means he's done.

However, his brain can swerve into left lane brain at any time(what my dad calls his fits), and then there's big trouble(though it absolutely is more likely to happen at dusk, it doesn't mean it can't be triggered at other times).
Putting on my psych hat: I wish he could be working with someone to help him.

For example "yes I know you really wish you were over it and try to convince yourself that you are, but what has experience taught you? (that is not the case). And: help him to feel just the start of a meltdown mode and give him tools to avoid or channel the "fits" to avoid injury/destruction even by having a relatively safe place for the meltdown at least at home.

You also mention "trigger" - that could be very key if there's specific things even tiny ones that might not be noticed consciously that in fact trigger.

And since dusk is a bad time, a question is why dusk? Being tired? Light intensity? Something else?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I haven't got the means to video(no smartphone, and a tantrum means I have all four paws in use anyways), but I've tried similar...

"I know you said you're done, but you peed on the couch an hour ago, and attacked me 5 minutes ago."

"Ares, he's done with that now. He's being good."

(And then you tell him he'll have to show you he can do that for longer, and he'll throw, or hit, displaying he isn't ready, but I'm not sure he has the comprehension to understand he's proving your point.)
Well, you're right that you can't keep his brother from having friends and going places just because he can't.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

For example "yes I know you really wish you were over it and try to convince yourself that you are, but what has experience taught you? (that is not the case). And: help him to feel just the start of a meltdown mode and give him tools to avoid or channel the "fits" to avoid injury/destruction even by having a relatively safe place for the meltdown at least at home.

You also mention "trigger" - that could be very key if there's specific things even tiny ones that might not be noticed consciously that in fact trigger.

And since dusk is a bad time, a question is why dusk? Being tired? Light intensity? Something else?
A lot of people don't do well with dusk for the record. I don't really know why? My mom had what I called "Sundowners." She would go to bed around 4 pm (at the latest!) and get up around 8 pm and my dad would smell breakfast coming from the kitchen and he'd go in there and she'd be up and about. She'd also go back and forth to the sidewalk outside, as it got darker and darker, instead of lighter and lighter, and she'd tell my dad, if she wasn't mad at him for trying to correct her, that the newspaper was late again and that he needed to call the newspaper delivery guy. This was actually the first hint we had that she had dementia. Things went downhill from there.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member

Baseballs and baseball bats. Don't know why. He's never had any experiences with them, positive or negative, until he saw a bat and flipped out and destroyed my sister's stuff with it.

He saw a baseball on the porch and threw it at windows, fled the property, ran through traffic and attacked me when I caught him.
I think, like @Kathryn says, he's sundowning.
Well, you're right that you can't keep his brother from having friends and going places just because he can't.
Nope. We tried to talk about it earlier, and reminded him he often gets to go with Bubba and Yudhi doesn't, and gave him the option of calling his cousin to visit instead.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A wee bit foggy when walking the hound.

1723412210676.jpeg