• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm going to sleep happy for the first time in ages. Today, after much tooing and froing, i received an MRI appointment date... So they hadn't forgotten about me after all.

So it's a happy goodnight from me.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8 (2).jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Knock on wood​

If you have good luck and want to keep it. Cosman sees this expression deriving from pre-Christian times, when people performed rites “to inspire spirits dwelling in wood or trees, such as the maypole, or to awaken them after winter slumber, as with the divinities affecting agriculture and human life.”​

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Knock on wood​

If you have good luck and want to keep it. Cosman sees this expression deriving from pre-Christian times, when people performed rites “to inspire spirits dwelling in wood or trees, such as the maypole, or to awaken them after winter slumber, as with the divinities affecting agriculture and human life.”​
I went out knocking on wood one cold winter day for just that purpose.

Life was pretty decent back than.

Maybe that's an indication I should I kept the practice up.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And one for @Wu Wei who has been holding out on us all this time:

Lick into shape​

To bring into satisfactory condition or appearance. In medieval bestiaries, you would find an unusual description of bears and how they give birth to their young. Here is how one 13th-century bestiary describes it:​
The bear gets its Latin name ‘ursus’ because it shapes its cubs with its mouth, from the Latin word ‘orsus’. For they are said to give birth to shapeless lumps of flesh, which the mother licks into shape. The bear’s tongue forms the young which it brings forth

The rest are here: 12 Expressions that we got from the Middle Ages - Medievalists.net

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
And one for @Wu Wei who has been holding out on us all this time:

Lick into shape​

To bring into satisfactory condition or appearance. In medieval bestiaries, you would find an unusual description of bears and how they give birth to their young. Here is how one 13th-century bestiary describes it:​
The bear gets its Latin name ‘ursus’ because it shapes its cubs with its mouth, from the Latin word ‘orsus’. For they are said to give birth to shapeless lumps of flesh, which the mother licks into shape. The bear’s tongue forms the young which it brings forth

The rest are here: 12 Expressions that we got from the Middle Ages - Medievalists.net
That one I knew.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Don't do that. Not by my word anyway. I'm still mulling over a thread to discuss actual science and set some limits to the infiltration of denialistic determination. I need the intellectual stimulus as a goad means to rejuvenate my heart and mind.

What we need is a thread where you can only talk in song lyrics or maybe song titles.