• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
south-park-run-over.gif

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I was reading an article on a paleontological find in the northeastern US. Lots of very interesting fossils of terrestrial plants and animals including insects and arachnids.
Fossil site in Massachusetts reveals 320-million-year-old ecosystem

Another article reviewed the discovery of what may be the oldest moving animal so far discovered. 565 million years old from the Australian outback.
Paleontologists may have discovered Earth's oldest moving animal

I think these are winners.

I was just reading an article on the efforts to bring back the thylacine, they seem to be fairly confident.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just reading an article on the efforts to bring back the thylacine, they seem to be fairly confident.
I haven't kept up, but there is an entomologist named George Poinar that was instrumental in some of the early efforts to isolate ancient DNA. His son is a geneticist that has expanded on that work. I don't recall the details, but I believe they were involved in discussions about reviving extinct species from ancient DNA samples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Poinar_Jr.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Do you do any cooking with beets? I've had them as a side or in a stew, but I can't seem to replicate the dishes. Mine end up mushy and the flavors blend together losing their individuality.

We eat heaps of them in aus. Even put them on our hamburgers. It's another veg I cook in the pressure cooker. Don't do anything else with them other than eating em. They're also good baked whole in the oven. Eating too many makes your poop red which can be concering if you forget you ate them the night before. The leaves are good in a salad too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I found a Scientific American article on it that I'll have to take time and read through. It sounds fascinating and I can image there will be a lot of useful things learned from the attempt even if not successful.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We eat heaps of them in aus. Even put them on our hamburgers. It's another veg I cook in the pressure cooker. Don't do anything else with them other than eating em. They're also good baked whole in the oven. Eating too many makes your poop red which can be concering if you forget you ate them the night before. The leaves are good in a salad too.
Since I was a kid, I ate pickled beets like they were candy. It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered they are delicious in stews and go well with potatoes and carrots. I'm wondering if roasting them prior to putting in a stew would help stabilize them. I like to be able to enjoy the flavor of the different vegetables and not end up with a mush that is only one flavor.

That is one of my biggest complaints of canned soups. You end up with something that has only one flavor and often it is just "salty". You can eat it, but it does leave a whole lot to be desired.

I've experienced the colorful results, but don't pay much attention to it.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I was a kid, I ate pickled beets like they were candy. It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered they are delicious in stews and go well with potatoes and carrots. I'm wondering if roasting them prior to putting in a stew would help stabilize them. I like to be able to enjoy the flavor of the different vegetables and not end up with a mush that is only one flavor.

That is one of my biggest complaints of canned soups. You end up with something that has only one flavor and often it is just "salty". You can eat it, but it does leave a whole lot to be desired.

I've experienced the colorful results, but don't pay much attention to it.
I think roasting first is an excellent idea.