• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

Tomef

Not the last supper; I want to be very clear, although the presence of a table and people may be confusing, this is NOT the last supper.

398d9bb7-ec15-423f-b5eb-f164fa6b56cf.jpeg

We Never Know

No Slack
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?

Just courious. Were there outrage over these?

Battlestar Galactica

IMG_20240729_121233.jpg

The cast of Lost

IMG_20240729_121541.jpg

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?

I will nearly always support being disrepectful towards any and every religion. Period. I don't really think this actually took place on this case though. What do you find disrepectful about it specifically?

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Just courious. Were there outrage over these?

Battlestar Galactica

View attachment 94874

The cast of Lost

View attachment 94875

Those are all new to me, will have to check them out before I can judge.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I will nearly always support being disrepectful towards any and every religion. Period. I don't really think this actually took place on this case though. What do you find disrepectful about it specifically?

So, you are, essentially, a hater?

IMHO, taking offence at the opening ceremony of the games is being a snowflake.
Taking offence at a horrible racial slur is not being a snowflake.
The opening ceremony was gaudy, opulent bull**** parading around like it was the crown jewel of civilization. Meanwhile, the streets of Paris are crawling with homeless folks, suffering poverty and mental illness while scraping by on whatever scraps they can find. A bunch of ******* throwing us a lavish circus to distract us from the ****show that is hsappening outside their corporate sponsored bubble. The Olympic games capitalist carnival masquerading as a step towards world peace when all it is a cheap whore pimped out to the highest bidder and dressed up like a lady to amuse the global elite. It’s a ****ing insult to every person struggling to survive on the margins. It's nothing but another pack of lies they sell and we in our collective stupidity and thrist for distraction buy into. It is capitalism at its most brazen: a show of wealth and power that ****s over the poor, all while pretending it’s some grand celebration of human achievement. It's all a bull****.

So yeah. I do take offense. When someone tries to sell you a polished pile of **** then you should take offense. Only a mentally deficient person wouldn't take offense

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It was not parodying the last supper, it had nothing to do with the last supper. Oh perhaps you thought a table, a group of people, ahh, i see your misunderstanding now. Sheesh..

PARIS, July 28 (Reuters) - Paris 2024 organisers apologised on Sunday to Catholics and other Christian groups angered by a kitsch tableau in the Olympic Games opening ceremony that appeared to parody Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" painting.
The segment, which resembled the biblical scene of Jesus Christ and his apostles sharing a last meal before crucifixion and featured drag queens, a transgender model and a naked singer made up as the Greek god of wine Dionysus, drew dismay from the Catholic Church and the religious right in America.
"Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. (The opening ceremony) tried to celebrate community tolerance," Paris 2024 spokesperson Anne Descamps told a press conference.
"We believe this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offence we are really sorry."
The International Olympic Committee said it took note of Paris 2024's clarification.
Thomas Jolly, the artistic director behind the flamboyant opening ceremony, said the scene had not been inspired by "The Last Supper" and depicted a pagan feast linked to the gods of Olympus

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olym...ence-caused-by-last-supper-sketch-2024-07-28/
No actually I was going by Wikipedia.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
The opening ceremony was gaudy, opulent bull**** parading around like it was the crown jewel of civilization. Meanwhile, the streets of Paris are crawling with homeless folks, suffering poverty and mental illness while scraping by on whatever scraps they can find. A bunch of ******* throwing us a lavish circus to distract us from the ****show that is hsappening outside their corporate sponsored bubble. The Olympic games capitalist carnival masquerading as a step towards world peace when all it is a cheap whore pimped out to the highest bidder and dressed up like a lady to amuse the global elite. It’s a ****ing insult to every person struggling to survive on the margins. It's nothing but another pack of lies they sell and we in our collective stupidity and thrist for distraction buy into. It is capitalism at its most brazen: a show of wealth and power that ****s over the poor, all while pretending it’s some grand celebration of human achievement. It's all a bull****.

So yeah. I do take offense. When someone tries to sell you a polished pile of **** then you should take offense. Only a mentally deficient person wouldn't take offense

I applaud your social concerns and think you make great points. The whole affair was a distraction and **** show, I think.

Altfish

Veteran Member

You are bringing up a totally different aspect of the ceremony. I have no opinion on that element, I don't know Paris well enough.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But what about the everyday usage of such items of clothing? I mean, everyone wants to prevent terrorism (I hope!).

France has had particular problems with terrorists dressing in niqab and similar. It is not taking any more chances