• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Not sure how that would justify some sort of disapproval from any other use of the general motif, accidental or otherwise. And it is a simple enough and general enough disposition to be reinvented time and again. I have not attempted to find previous examples, but I will be very surprised if Da Vinci was the first one.
Da Vinci would probably shove us all out of the way to be the first to defend the parodies and satires of his work, including this one.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, I'd say it backfired on France but oh well. I doubt all that many people saw it originally. Anything for ratings though!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Not sure how that would justify some sort of disapproval from any other use of the general motif, accidental or otherwise. And it is a simple enough and general enough disposition to be reinvented time and again. I have not attempted to find previous examples, but I will be very surprised if Da Vinci was the first one.
Da Vinci would probably shove us all out of the way to be the first to defend the parodies and satires of his work, including this one.

Kathryn

It was depicting an Ancient Greek Bacchanalia.
You know, the Greeks who invented the Olympics.
Do Christians think the blue guy was supposed to be Jesus? I'm confused.
The painting it was parodying was based on The Last Supper.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does this look anything like the Last Supper?
Thanks for that. No, it doesn't to me, but apparently it did to a lot of Christians.
The mocked became the mockers. Do unto others what you hate being done to you. Great philosophy.
The Christians are not mockers. They are oppressors. They ban books they don't like. They pass "don't say gay" legislation. They want to eliminate same sex marriage.

And if this was ridicule of the Christians, that's fine, too:

"Ridicule is the great equalizer against the angry, harsh judgment coming from the pulpit. It is much kinder, because it doesn't ask you to hurt the target like the angry scapegoating from the church, just laugh at it. We can offer reasoned argument to those that can care about such things, and appeal to the consciences of those that have them. But ridicule is useful to intimidate those not amenable to either." - anon
France is presenting itself to the world as the face of the Olympics. So, why do this?
I'm beginning to think that what they did isn't what the Christians objecting say they did, but let's stipulate to the idea that this was what the offended say it was. If so, it suggests that the French don't fear mocking the Christians. It's a different culture, one I am unfamiliar with
is the government there a simple mouthpiece for such causes?
Why do you think this is the work of the government? Somebody in government probably had to approve the performance, and that may have been Macron, but whoever it was obviously didn't see it like you do.
The whole thing just seems like a big unforced error, IMHO.
Your American perspective considers it a mistake. I wonder what the French are saying about it? Maybe @ChristineM can shed some light on that.

Kathryn

Nope, it was meant to represent Greek gods, you know, the Greeks who invented the Olympic games.

People are misrepresenting it, why, i have no idea other than possibly either dislike or jealousy of France.
The painting it was parodying is based on The Last Supper. Oh well, this too shall pass. By the way, I don't know anyone who dislikes or is jealous of France other than disliking a few Parisians, though I will say that in the Alsace Lorraine region, the breakfasts pretty much suck, especially compared to German breakfasts which are right across the border.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As it turns out, I have now made a bit of research. Da Vinci, praised be him, was not nearly the first to even depict the Last Supper in that general motif. ChatGPT gave me this:

----------------------------

Yes, Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" is a highly influential work, but it was not the first to depict the general disposition of a long table with figures behind it, including a central figure. Several earlier works in Christian art depict the Last Supper scene with similar composition. Here are a few notable examples:

Domenico Ghirlandaio's "The Last Supper" (1480) - Painted for the Convent of San Marco in Florence, this fresco shows a similar arrangement of the apostles around a long table with Jesus in the center.

Andrea del Castagno's "The Last Supper" (1447) - This fresco, located in the Sant'Apollonia convent in Florence, also depicts the apostles seated behind a long table, with Jesus in the middle.

Giotto's "The Last Supper" (1305-1306) - As part of the Scrovegni Chapel frescoes in Padua, Giotto's version of the Last Supper shows a long table with Jesus centrally positioned and the apostles around him.

Duccio di Buoninsegna's "The Last Supper" (1308-1311) - In his Maestà altarpiece for the Siena Cathedral, Duccio includes a Last Supper scene with a long table and central figure, though it is not as linear as later depictions.

These earlier representations show that the basic composition of a long table with figures seated behind it, with a central figure, was an established format in Christian art long before Leonardo's famous mural. However, da Vinci's work is noted for its dramatic use of perspective and human emotion, which set a new standard for the depiction of this scene.

---------------------------

Of course, that in no way whatsoever diminishes any of the works of art nor the artists involved.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Nope, it was meant to represent Greek gods, you know, the Greeks who invented the Olympic games.

People are misrepresenting it, why, i have no idea other than possibly either dislike or jealousy of France.
They are attempting to get revenge for the loss of Freedom Fries, perhaps?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

In fairness, I think France has given and continues to give many countries ample reasons to dislike it, so I'm sure that's part of it for some people. Another part seems to me the typical outrage that irreverence, whether intended or inadvertent, toward religion tends to elicit from many people. I would think the dislike and the outrage would just compound each other, too.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
People sitting around a table with plates and food is not the most distinctive subject matter ever.

Nor are they all that particularly Christian a motif. For one, the Sikhs have their Langar practice. Very few groups would not sit around a meal table at some point.

Much ado about nothing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The painting it was parodying is based on The Last Supper. Oh well, this too shall pass.

It was not parodying the last supper, it had nothing to do with the last supper. Oh perhaps you thought a table, a group of people, ahh, i see your misunderstanding now. Sheesh..

PARIS, July 28 (Reuters) - Paris 2024 organisers apologised on Sunday to Catholics and other Christian groups angered by a kitsch tableau in the Olympic Games opening ceremony that appeared to parody Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" painting.
The segment, which resembled the biblical scene of Jesus Christ and his apostles sharing a last meal before crucifixion and featured drag queens, a transgender model and a naked singer made up as the Greek god of wine Dionysus, drew dismay from the Catholic Church and the religious right in America.
"Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. (The opening ceremony) tried to celebrate community tolerance," Paris 2024 spokesperson Anne Descamps told a press conference.
"We believe this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offence we are really sorry."
The International Olympic Committee said it took note of Paris 2024's clarification.
Thomas Jolly, the artistic director behind the flamboyant opening ceremony, said the scene had not been inspired by "The Last Supper" and depicted a pagan feast linked to the gods of Olympus

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olym...ence-caused-by-last-supper-sketch-2024-07-28/

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In fairness, I think France has given and continues to give many countries ample reasons to dislike it, so I'm sure that's part of it for some people. Another part seems to me the typical outrage that irreverence, whether intended or inadvertent, toward religion tends to elicit from many people. I would think the dislike and the outrage would just compound each other, too.

What people want to see they will see whether it exist or not.