• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When you're hosting an event that's intended to include people from all nations, cultures, and religions, it isn't enough not to be intentionally offensive, you have an obligation to take what measures you can not to inadvertently offend anyone.

Here's the official Olympics mission statement of the international Olympic Committee (IOC)

1. **Promote Olympism:** To contribute to building a better world by fostering a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity through sport.

2. **Encourage Participation:** To encourage the practice of sports and promote the benefits of physical education and sporting activity.

3. **Celebrate Excellence:** To celebrate the highest levels of athletic achievement and to inspire athletes to strive for excellence.

4. **Foster International Cooperation:** To strengthen the bonds between nations and cultures through the shared experience of the Olympic Games.

These principles guide the organization and execution of the Games, aiming to uphold the values of integrity, respect, and fair play."
(Emphasis mine)

I can't imagine that the people putting together the opening ceremonies were completely oblivious to the religious associations people were going to make with the scene.

Whether the scene was intended as a parody of the last supper or not, they must have known that a lot of people were going t take it that way and be offended by it.

That's reason enough for condemnation.

The principles that you present are certainly sound and proper.

A couple of days ago I would offer that they are not reason enough to make so much concessions to certain sensibilities.

Today I just don't think there was good reason for the feathers to ruffle at all. This may well have been an unexpectedly good event precisely because they did and may now learn a bit better.

The similarities are hard to ignore.

View attachment 94885

They are. And the contrasts, on the contrary, are far too easy to overlook.

IMO what that indicates is that we have collectively become a bit too reliant on Christian references and expectations.

May I present you a small challenge? Can you find me a couple of pictures of people around a long table that do not resemble the Da Vinci painting?

Maybe I am being biased, I don't know. I hope you can surprise me.

We Never Know

No Slack
May I present you a small challenge? Can you find me a couple of pictures of people around a long table that do not resemble the Da Vinci painting?

Maybe I am being biased, I don't know. I hope you can surprise me.

Don't know what you want or will accept but....

IMG_20240729_145333.jpg

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
It does however seem to work, there are a lot less headlines on attracts for religious reasons than there were when we moved here. I.e, it was one or two a month, now i can't remember the last time i saw one.

Hello. So if I was an office worker in France today and had the crucifix on my necklace visible to the wider public, should I be censored? My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that such a display is wrong and illegal?

We Never Know

No Slack
A little weird, in that I think some of them would have been on the other side of the table. But yeah, beyond that there is little similarity with what we are talking about here.

But more importantly, nothing offensive (to the sensibilities of others) in that image. Looks like a good time. :)
One problem is when searching for a group of people eating at a long table, instead of left to right, the search pictures come up 'front to back' like this ..

IMG_20240729_145743.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello. So if I was an office worker in France today and had the crucifix on my necklace visible to the wider public, should I be censored? My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that such a display is wrong and illegal?

Any religious symbols cannot be worn on display in a public place You can however wear such items if they are concealed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The right has little to do with Macron. Unfortunately france is a free country, even the right have the right to pronounce their various isms so long as the law is not broken*.
I cannot see it as an attack on religion, i see it as a misunderstanding make by seriously unhinged people.

* Articles 32 and 33 prohibit anyone from publicly defaming or insulting a person or group for belonging or not belonging, in fact or in fancy, to an ethnicity, a nation, a race, a religion, a sex, or a sexual orientation, or for having a handicap.
You mean you have to be civil and polite and you haven't fallen into ruin?

We Never Know

No Slack
* Articles 32 and 33 prohibit anyone from publicly defaming or insulting a person or group for belonging or not belonging, in fact or in fancy, to an ethnicity, a nation, a race, a religion, a sex, or a sexual orientation, or for having a handicap.

That would suck for many people in the US lol

InChrist

Free4ever
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?
I think certain aspects of the opening ceremony were definitely mocking Christianity, as well as demonstrating demonic imagery. Doesn’t surprise me, though, because the antichrist spirit is becoming increasingly prevalent.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The right has little to do with Macron. Unfortunately france is a free country, even the right have the right to pronounce their various isms so long as the law is not broken*.

I think Macron's government is partially responsible for the increasing popularity of the far right, although that would also require a separate thread to delve into. I'm not saying his government has been the the sole or even main reason for that, but I believe they've contributed to it in some key ways.

And yes, I'm definitely in favor of freedom of expression for everyone—right-wing, left-wing, or otherwise—as long as the speech doesn't incite violence or strife. That's exactly why I'm against France's bans on burkinis and religious symbols.

I cannot see it as an attack on religion, i see it as a misunderstanding make by seriously unhinged people.

As I said, I don't see the skit as an intentional attack on religion either; I just think it was ill-conceived and better replaced with a less controversial act. I also don't think that everyone who is objecting to it is unhinged, although some unhinged people, like Matt Walsh and similar extremists, have voiced outrage over it.

I'm not familiar with the nuances of how the above is applied in practice, but in principle, it seems to me a sensible law.

Huh?
Which, even if true, pales in comparison to the actual social issues you brought up in a former post of yours... To the point you shouldn't even be mentioning this perceived mockery as an issue. Because that is not the problem.
Ignoring the issues regarding the homeless is the mockery. And you are defending it. Let them eat cake! That is the liberal spit in the face of the worker.