• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most ANNOYING misconception about YOUR faith?

Worshipper

No, atheism is not a religion. Think of it this way: Would you consider "A-leprechaun-ism" a religion? . . . .
I don't think you've defined atheism correctly here. It's not just the absence of belief in God. It's denying the existence of God — claiming that there is no God. That is, it's belief in the absence of God.

Is it a religion? Not on its own, no. No more than theism is. But I was responding most particularly to a person who used the word atheism as a shorthand reference for a kind of scientific atheism where science takes the place of scriptures and such. That particular set of beliefs, that he used the word atheism to describe, is a religion.

There are philosophies that include atheism which could be called religions, but even then, it would be a stretch.
Not really. As I understand it, many forms of Buddhism are atheistic. I don't think anyone would think I was stretching if I called those forms of Buddhism religions.

But to call the kind of scientific atheism that the other fellow was describing a religion is hardly a stretch at all. It comes ready-made with a mythology, an ethical code, a priestly class complete with a process of ordination, initiation rituals, and on and on.

It can be a belief, but it can also be a lack of belief. Again, think of it this way: A child grows up somewhere with atheist parents, and never hears about religion at all. . . . He knows nothing of God (or any gods) and so he is considered an atheist. I would never say "There is no God". I would just say that I don't believe in God. . . .
The hypothetical child you mention wouldn't be described by anthropologists of religion as an atheist but as irreligious. As for you, they wouldn't describe you as atheist but as agnostic.

The fundamental idea of atheism is not believing in God. Some call claiming that there is no God "strong atheism", and just claiming not to believe in God "weak atheism".
But we already have words for those.

"strong atheism" = atheism
"weak atheism" = agnosticism

Basically, "agnostic" is more "I don't know, and I won't answer the question one way or the other". Atheists, like me, might admit that we don't know, but will say that we don't believe in God.
Here's a good quote from the OED: "The Agnostic neither denied nor affirmed God. He simply put Him on one side." That's from a bishop, so the obvious theistic bias in the quote is not hard to understand. Nevertheless, if you don't deny the existence of a god, but also don't believe in the existence of a god, you're agnostic. That's what the word means. That's how it's been used since it was created. Atheism is a strong stance to take. Those who don't take that stance but who, like atheists, don't believe in God, are agnostics.

The way you word it, it's like you think agnostics are wishy-wishy or wafflers or something. That's simply not true. They are not weak in any way. They just don't believe in anything beyond the material world.

You're still missing the idea. There are texts and things in philosophies that include atheism, for instance humanism. There are books about atheism, but nothing that could be considered a holy text. I'm really not sure where you see a priestly class of atheists.
Remember, I was responding to a scientific atheist, a person who uses atheistic science in place of religion.

Holy text, or scripture, is a fluid kind of word. Not all people who use scripture use it the same way. To say that a group of people have scriptures is not to say that they respect those texts the same way that Bible-thumping KJV-only literalistic evangelistic Christians do. Not even all Christians take that extreme approach to scriptures.

If a text is given special respect and is treated as especially authoritative in relation to other texts, then it is scripture.

As for a priestly class, it is clear that there is a certain group of people who are authorized to introduce new scripture into the canon of atheistic science. There are only certain people authorized to instruct and initiate others. There are certain people who are authorized to interpret the existing scripture and traditions of the religious body. The more degrees from accredited institutions you hold, the higher you rise in the priestly class. The more prestigious the institution that grants your degree, the higher you stand in the priestly class.

And it's not just an issue of who is most knowledgeable. An unordained person who is more knowledgeable than a properly ordained person is overlooked — their findings don't matter until they've been duly ordained. Once they've been ordained, they can repeat the same words they said before ordination, and suddenly they're ground-breaking. Until they've been ordained, they're ignored. This is the hallmark of a priestly class.

The difference is that, while it can be considered faith, it's not just faith for faith's sake. The results of most scientific experiments I can see for myself. . . . A good example is global warming. I wouldn't say I believe it, but I think it could be the case.
You misunderstand theism. It is not necessarily faith for faith's sake. A person can believe in God because of receiving empirical evidence of God's existence. Many theists do.

It's true that some theists believe only because someone said so. Some scientific atheists believe only because someone said so.

Some scientific atheists believe not just because someone said so, but because a properly ordained person said so in a journal reviewed by a group of ordained priests and provided data affirming actual observations and explaining conclusions drawn from those observations. The believer has not confirmed the data, nor perhaps even thoroughly examined the methodology for reaching the conclusions. But he has made observations of his own in unrelated areas and has made conclusions based on observed phenomena enough, and has read or heard the words of the priests enough, to have faith in the system. That faith leads him to believe anything the system produces.

In a similar manner, some theists have had enough direct experience with God and have talked with enough priests to have faith in the system. So when a given priest makes a statement about God or God's will, their faith in the system leads them to believe the new statement.

A very few scientific agnostics (and here I can't say atheist) believe only what they confirm themselves. Then they know. Some theists are the same way.

As for the varying degree of faith placed in various statements made by the priestly class, you find that in all religions, not just scientific atheism. Some Christians believe everything they read in the Bible. Some believe only portions of the Bible. Some think the Bible is basically irrelevant. Some scientific atheists believe everything that comes down the pike. Some are more skeptical.

One person's lack of faith in global warming doesn't erase the fact that thousands believe firmly in anthropogenic global warming solely because the idea bears the seal of approval of their chosen priests and they change their lives as a result. Your lack of faith in global warming just confirms that there is variety in every religion.

Let's put it this way: If most people eat oranges every day to sustain themselves, and I decide to substitute the oranges with lettuce, would I still be eating oranges? Just because you substitute one thing for another doesn't mean that one thing can be defined the same way.
You'd still be eating vegetable food. Is religion the orange or the food? Anthropologists of religion would say it's the food. They would use a more specific term for the orange.

If, on the other hand, you decided to forgo eating altogether, then I'd say that was equivalent to forgoing religion.

Also, science and religion aren't meant to fulfill the same thing, which is why there are many religious scientists. Science explains things we experience in the natural world. Religion is supposed to concern itself with the unknowable.
I didn't say they were meant to fulfill the same thing. I said science gets used to fulfill the function that the things you and I both call religions are meant to perform. That function is not to explain the unknowable (though science does get used to do that, too). It's more complex than that. To put it kind of poetically, it's supposed to give meaning and direction to life at the root of your soul. Lots of people use science for that end.

To sum up, I know that atheism per se isn't a religion any more than theism is. I was referring only to the kind of scientific atheism the earlier poster spoke of. That ideology is a religion in the sense that anthropologists of religion use. One might prefer a name for it like Sciencism or something, but atheism was the word he used, so it was the word I used. Whatever you call that religion, though, atheism is an important part of it, just as theism is an important part of, say, Islam. I think that some people of that religion could be agnostics rather than atheists — they'd still be of that religion. Not all people who use science do it religiously. However, most people who claim to use science in place of religion do.

In addition, I recognize that not all people who are atheists use science in place of religion. Some ideologies that are colloquially classified as religions are atheistic, like some forms of Buddhism. In addition, some people use things other than science as their religion — sports, money, movie stars, fashion, sex, whatever. Most people feel a need for religion. Only a very few don't. The ones who reject conventional options for religion select alternatives. Those alternatives are religions, even if they're not colloquially defined as such.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that atheism isn't a religion or even an anti-religion. It is more of a non-religion (A new word I have made up since joining the RF). There may be some atheists that are anti-religious. Most atheists I have known need physical proof or at least proof by experimentation (not everyone fits into a tiny set of beliefs, however).

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Oh god...let me see...Theosophical misconceptions...Here's some... That:
1. We are a cult
2. Theosophy is all about worshipping Mme. Blavatsky
3. The "Mahatmas" are like New-Age angels
4. We're pagan
5. Theosophy is Religious Neo-Nazism (how they get that from Universal Brotherhood, I'm unsure)
6. We all live, or aspire to live, in India
7. We're all Hindu and/or Buddhist
8. Ours is a Secret Society of some kind.
9. Because we have Occultic Backgrounds, that we're involved in Demonolgy or the Black Arts
10. We are a "religion"
(I have Theosophy as my Title of Choice, but we feel ultimately that Theosophy is an "essense" and "lifestyle" rather than "religion")

Last three are the worst, which is why they are in Big Mean Bold! Hehehe ;]

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't think you've defined atheism correctly here. It's not just the absence of belief in God. It's denying the existence of God — claiming that there is no God. That is, it's belief in the absence of God.

Well, you can define atheism any way you want to. Any standard definition includes a lack of belief in God, and not just a belief that there is no God.

Is it a religion? Not on its own, no. No more than theism is. But I was responding most particularly to a person who used the word atheism as a shorthand reference for a kind of scientific atheism where science takes the place of scriptures and such. That particular set of beliefs, that he used the word atheism to describe, is a religion.

Again, it depends on your definition of religion. I think it stretches the term a bit myself, but you can do whatever you like with it. Science doesn't take the place of scriptures and such, though, and, regardless, the point is that atheism is not itself a religion.

Not really. As I understand it, many forms of Buddhism are atheistic. I don't think anyone would think I was stretching if I called those forms of Buddhism religions.

Yes, as I mentioned Buddhism later on. Even that has been debated, though, whether or not it is a philosophy or a religion. Regardless, I was directing that more towards humanism and other philosophies that are not traditionally regarded as religions.

But to call the kind of scientific atheism that the other fellow was describing a religion is hardly a stretch at all. It comes ready-made with a mythology, an ethical code, a priestly class complete with a process of ordination, initiation rituals, and on and on.

I'd be interested to hear what you'd consider the mythology, ethical code, priestly class, initiation rituals and on and on. I can only think that you are not using those terms in the same way you would for established religions, such as Christianity or Hinduism. I certainly don't see any of that in any kind of atheism without stretching the terms a bit.

The hypothetical child you mention wouldn't be described by anthropologists of religion as an atheist but as irreligious. As for you, they wouldn't describe you as atheist but as agnostic.

And along with irreligious, the child would be considered an atheist. If a Christian, for example, asked the child whether or not he believed in God, and the child answered "No", the christian would, the vast majority of the time, consider the child an atheist. some might consider me an agnostic, but I don't consider myself such, and, again, the vast majority don't consider me such either.

But we already have words for those.

"strong atheism" = atheism
"weak atheism" = agnosticism

No. Agnosticism is refusing to take either side at all. It is not saying you lack a belief in god, but also not saying you believe in God. It is just saying "I don't know, and I can't know" without leaning either way.

Here's a good quote from the OED: "The Agnostic neither denied nor affirmed God. He simply put Him on one side." That's from a bishop, so the obvious theistic bias in the quote is not hard to understand. Nevertheless, if you don't deny the existence of a god, but also don't believe in the existence of a god, you're agnostic. That's what the word means. That's how it's been used since it was created. Atheism is a strong stance to take. Those who don't take that stance but who, like atheists, don't believe in God, are agnostics.

See the above reply.

The way you word it, it's like you think agnostics are wishy-wishy or wafflers or something. That's simply not true. They are not weak in any way. They just don't believe in anything beyond the material world.

No, they just don't answer the question. Agnostics when asked would say that they don't disbelieve in God, but don't necessarily believe in him either. I'm not saying they're weak. I'm saying that to them, the question matters even less than it does to atheists or theists.

Remember, I was responding to a scientific atheist, a person who uses atheistic science in place of religion.

What exactly is "atheistic science"? And how is one a "scientific atheist" as opposed to an "unscientific atheist"?

Holy text, or scripture, is a fluid kind of word. Not all people who use scripture use it the same way. To say that a group of people have scriptures is not to say that they respect those texts the same way that Bible-thumping KJV-only literalistic evangelistic Christians do. Not even all Christians take that extreme approach to scriptures.

If a text is given special respect and is treated as especially authoritative in relation to other texts, then it is scripture.

Yes, but those are no more fluid words than any other. I disagree with your definition of scripture. Again, you're welcome to use that, but just keep in mind that it is very different than a more standard one.

As for a priestly class, it is clear that there is a certain group of people who are authorized to introduce new scripture into the canon of atheistic science. There are only certain people authorized to instruct and initiate others. There are certain people who are authorized to interpret the existing scripture and traditions of the religious body. The more degrees from accredited institutions you hold, the higher you rise in the priestly class. The more prestigious the institution that grants your degree, the higher you stand in the priestly class.

See, I think you're just trying to put something into terms into which it doesn't really fit. I think this is merely equivocation. Sure, you can compare and equate anything to anything else in a metaphor. That doesn't mean it's exactly the same thing. If you want to see things that way, go right ahead, but there are obvious differences that make the different terms necessary for productive discussion.

And it's not just an issue of who is most knowledgeable. An unordained person who is more knowledgeable than a properly ordained person is overlooked — their findings don't matter until they've been duly ordained. Once they've been ordained, they can repeat the same words they said before ordination, and suddenly they're ground-breaking. Until they've been ordained, they're ignored. This is the hallmark of a priestly class.

I think you misunderstand science. This is not quite how it works.

It's true that some theists believe only because someone said so. Some scientific atheists believe only because someone said so.

Sure, but it's still a different kind of faith. Either way, religion is not testable or verifiable. Science is. Again, I'm curious what exactly a "scientific atheist" is.

Some scientific atheists believe not just because someone said so, but because a properly ordained person said so in a journal reviewed by a group of ordained priests and provided data affirming actual observations and explaining conclusions drawn from those observations. The believer has not confirmed the data, nor perhaps even thoroughly examined the methodology for reaching the conclusions. But he has made observations of his own in unrelated areas and has made conclusions based on observed phenomena enough, and has read or heard the words of the priests enough, to have faith in the system. That faith leads him to believe anything the system produces.

And if it's something that matters that much to them, they don't just believe because someone said so. There's a difference between believing something just because someone said so because it doesn't really affect your life, and believing something because someone said so while it affects your life profoundly. I believe that a guy named Napoleon lived a long time ago, and had a bunch of exploits that I've been told of. If that turned out to be false, my life would not change a bit. I get the feeling that, if a theist found out that their belief in God was incorrect, their life would change quite a bit.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You'd still be eating vegetable food. Is religion the orange or the food? Anthropologists of religion would say it's the food. They would use a more specific term for the orange.

If, on the other hand, you decided to forgo eating altogether, then I'd say that was equivalent to forgoing religion.[/quote]

The point is that you say science replaces religion, and can therefore be called religion, because it fulfills the same thing. The analogy was that, even if I replace one food with another, they are still two different foods. You practice religion, and get your fulfillment from that, while some get the same type of fulfillment from science or another philosophy. That doesn't make science a religion any more than it makes religion a science.

I didn't say they were meant to fulfill the same thing. I said science gets used to fulfill the function that the things you and I both call religions are meant to perform. That function is not to explain the unknowable (though science does get used to do that, too). It's more complex than that. To put it kind of poetically, it's supposed to give meaning and direction to life at the root of your soul. Lots of people use science for that end.

No, people don't use science for that any more than people use sports or knitting or working or raising children, etc. for that. Science only explains our natural world. It makes no judgements on it nor does it tell us how things should be, but how they are.

[/quote]In addition, I recognize that not all people who are atheists use science in place of religion. Some ideologies that are colloquially classified as religions are atheistic, like some forms of Buddhism. In addition, some people use things other than science as their religion — sports, money, movie stars, fashion, sex, whatever. Most people feel a need for religion. Only a very few don't. The ones who reject conventional options for religion select alternatives. Those alternatives are religions, even if they're not colloquially defined as such.[/quote]

Again, I think this is an example of equivocation. Using the term "religion" for sports, money, movie stars, fashion, sex, etc. is using it differently than using it to describe Christianity or Hinduism or Wicca. There are similarities, of course, which is why the analogy gets used. The biggest difference, though, is that they deal with different things. Again, Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Wicca, Satanism, etc. are all concerned with a particular aspect of our lives. They are all concerned with the same particular aspect of our lives, they just have different views on it. Those other things you say are considered religions sometimes are not concerned with that same aspect, and so are not in the same category. Essentially, when we use the term "religious" to describe them, we are not using it in the same way, and so it is useless for this discussion.

Worshipper

Well, you can define atheism any way you want to. Any standard definition includes a lack of belief in God, and not just a belief that there is no God.
The OED's definition is "One who denies or disbelieves the existence of a God." That's not just one who does not believe. That's one who disbelieves. I think that when the OED defines a word, that definition is pretty standard.

But this whole argument about what atheism in general means comes down to different definitions. I'm using the standard technical definition and you're using the standard colloquial definition. Neither is better than the other, but they are different. No one should get too ruffled when he encounters either of them.

Again, it depends on your definition of religion. I think it stretches the term a bit myself, but you can do whatever you like with it.
Well, again, I'm using the standard technical definition while you're using the standard colloquial definition. If you go to any textbook on the anthropology of religion, you'll see the word religion used more like I'm defining it. If you ask any native speaker on the street, you'll probably see the word used more like you're defining it. Again, neither definition is superior to the other, but no one should get upset when he encounters either of them.

And that, of course, means that the many people who use science as a religion shouldn't get upset when someone calls it a religion — under the technical definition of the term, that's what it is.

Science doesn't take the place of scriptures and such, though,
The fellow I was responding primarily to said that it did for him.

and, regardless, the point is that atheism is not itself a religion.
Again, I was using the term as a kind of shorthand reference for the ideology that the other fellow was referring to. I already conceded that atheism, per se, is no more a religion than theism is. The ideology that the other person called atheism and that I called atheism in my response, though, is a religion, anthropologically speaking.

Regardless, I was directing that more towards humanism and other philosophies that are not traditionally regarded as religions.
The phrase "traditionally regarded as religions" is a good indication that you're using the colloquial definition of the word. I agree, under that definition, the ideology the other person was talking about would not be a religion. But that doesn't mean that it's not a religion, because under other, equally valid, definitions (e.g., the standard anthropological definition), it certainly would be.

I'd be interested to hear what you'd consider the mythology, ethical code, priestly class, initiation rituals and on and on. I can only think that you are not using those terms in the same way you would for established religions, such as Christianity or Hinduism. I certainly don't see any of that in any kind of atheism without stretching the terms a bit.
Again, it's no stretch of the terminology. It's just the standard scientific jargon of the anthropology of religion.

Remember, for example, that colloquially, Christianity is not mythological and there is nothing about mythology in Christianity. But when viewed objectively and scientifically, it becomes useful to talk about Christian mythology. The anthropologists who do so are not stretching the term mythology. They're simply employing a useful jargon term to refer to human behavior in an objective manner.

What exactly is "atheistic science"?
It's a term I came up with to talk about the ideology that other fellow was talking about. Like I said, one might prefer a term like Sciencism or something.

Are you having legitimate difficulty understanding which ideology I'm talking about? I'm not really interested in bickering about what the best term for it is. The other guy called it atheism, and when I responded by using the same word, you got upset. Now that I've come up with a new name for it, you can't seem to handle that, either. Do you really not know what I'm talking about or do you just want to have a petty fight over what to call it?

And how is one a "scientific atheist" as opposed to an "unscientific atheist"?
I don't believe I used the term "unscientific atheist". In this case it would be someone who, though an atheist, is not a Sciencist.

Again, I hope you're not just trying to play silly games about what we should call this ideology.

I disagree with your definition of scripture. Again, you're welcome to use that, but just keep in mind that it is very different than a more standard one.
Okay. Again, that definition is current in the literature of the anthropology of religion. I understand that it might seem odd to people who are only aware of the colloquial definition. But be aware that there is this other jargon use of the term out there. Go look at some anthropological textbooks that discuss scripture and you'll see what I mean.

I think you misunderstand science. This is not quite how it works.
I don't misunderstand science, and I don't misunderstand the academy. That is how it works.

Either way, religion is not testable or verifiable.
As I said, you misunderstand theism. This statement is not true. Theism is testable and verifiable.

There's a difference between believing something just because someone said so because it doesn't really affect your life, and believing something because someone said so while it affects your life profoundly.
I agree. But you're wrong when you suggest that Sciencists (or whatever you feel like calling them) don't believe on hearsay alone if it's going to affect their lives prfoundly. You might not do that, but very many do.

The point is that you say science replaces religion
No, that's not what I say. I say that science replaces theism for many people.

You practice religion, and get your fulfillment from that, while some get the same type of fulfillment from science or another philosophy. That doesn't make science a religion
Remember, I'm using the standard technical definition of religion, not the colloquial definition. From the point of view of the colloquial definition, what you say makes sense. From the point of view of the technical definition, what you're saying is ridiculous.

Science only explains our natural world. It makes no judgements on it nor does it tell us how things should be, but how they are.
Spoken like a true believer!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, anybody can define any word any way they want to. But the fact is, the "standard definition" of "atheism" from Webster's Unabridged is, "the belief that there is no God." There are, incidentally, no secondary definitions, just that one. An "atheist" is defined as "one who believes that there is no God."

"Agnosticism" is defined as "the doctrine of an agnostic: distinguished from atheism; in theology, the doctrine that God is unknown and unknowable." The definition of an "agnostic" is "one who thinks it is impossible to know whether there is a God, a future life, or anything beyond material phenomena."

This isn't a matter of your definition versus Worshipper's definition. There are times when it just makes more sense to say, "I was wrong." This would be one of those times.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

One of the big annoyances of Christianity is when Christian's tell other people that they are going to Hell. This goes against Biblical doctrine and serves no use other that to puff-up the ego of the one saying such nonsense.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Worshipper, you might have some legitimate points for the person you were responding to, but the way you said it was that atheism is a religion. I just think that, if you were specifically responding to one person's philosophy, then using the broad term of "atheism" to mean only his/her philosophy was a bad choice of terms. Regardless of whether his/her particular philosophy which includes the belief that there is no God is a religion, atheism is not in itself a religion.

Now, about the definition of atheism. The only times I've looked it up, it has included the definition of a lack of belief in God. Mostly, in the discussions I've had here (since this is about the only place it ever comes up), it has included the lack of belief in God. I did not realize that that was left out of so many standard definitions. I apologize. The worst part is, in writing this, I can't eve remember why that mattered.

So, basically, all I'm trying to say is that atheism (no matter how you define it :D) is not a religion. For that matter, theism is not a religion.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It was brought up again. There are a lot of people who believe that the eating of the communion (The Lord's Supper) is cannibalism. It is not! The eating of the bread is symbolic of eating a man, but a Lamb. And the wine is symbolic of the blood spilled- instead of putting it on the door (as in Passover) they drink wine.

Worshipper

Worshipper, you might have some legitimate points for the person you were responding to, but the way you said it was that atheism is a religion. I just think that, if you were specifically responding to one person's philosophy, then using the broad term of "atheism" to mean only his/her philosophy was a bad choice of terms. Regardless of whether his/her particular philosophy which includes the belief that there is no God is a religion, atheism is not in itself a religion.

Now, about the definition of atheism. The only times I've looked it up, it has included the definition of a lack of belief in God. Mostly, in the discussions I've had here (since this is about the only place it ever comes up), it has included the lack of belief in God. I did not realize that that was left out of so many standard definitions. I apologize. The worst part is, in writing this, I can't eve remember why that mattered.

So, basically, all I'm trying to say is that atheism (no matter how you define it :D) is not a religion. For that matter, theism is not a religion.
I agree. Atheism is a bad term for that particular set of ideas. I only used it because that other person did. I should have been more specific up front.

And I think that the dictionary definitions aren't the only valid definitions for atheism. Like you said, the average Christian confronting that hypothetical child you talked about would probably call the kid an atheist. Well, as you know, a native speaker can't be wrong. If the word means that for a large part of the speech community, then it means that. I think your more inclusive definition of atheist is more common in colloquial usage than the definitions the dictionaries have. I think that makes it an important definition. I mean, if you look up thong in the OED, you don't read anything about women's underwear (unless they've changed it in the latest edition) — but if you're still calling those simple sandals 'thongs' instead of 'flip-flops', people aren't going to understand you.

Ashley-Yin

Im a happy little Lesbian
i worship buddha... huh?
i should be vegetarian because im wiccan and/or buddhist. humans are omnivores but of course i believe morally if we didnt eat animals we would be able to feed alot more people.
and the worst is that im wrong, weak and confused for believing what i do, im pretty sure ive spent more time contemplating the whys and wherefores then you have... religious zelit.

Zephyr

Moved on
Ran into this again today. Once again, WE ARE NOT WICCANS OR REALLY EVEN NEOPAGANS! I DON'T EVEN GENERALLY GET ALONG WITH OTHER PAGANS!

*ahem* That is all.

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
Hi, I am making a website (I've already posted a thread about it, seems no one is putting effort in it, that's okay) about religious misconceptions about religion itself, and not the adherents. IE: myths that are completely 100% wrong
example:
-Buddhists do not worship the Buddha
-Wiccans are NOT Pagans and vice versa
-Mormons do not worship Joseph Smith

I am looking through this thread to find other myths, any help would be great.