• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most ANNOYING misconception about YOUR faith?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
lamplighter said:
I'ld say for Agnostics it's "We're confused" or "It's the same thing as Atheism" which in turn generates the same misconceptions as Atheists get.

No offense to you personally, but although atheism and agnosticism are different in concept, in practicality they are the same. There is no difference between acting out of sheer disbelief in God and acting out of lack of an answer pertaining to God. In both cases you will act without acknowledging God, and at the very most only act with consideration that there "might" be a God.

Of course, no one says, "Today I might render some service to a God I think might exist".

DeepShadow

White Crow
Where to start...

I think the single most annoying misconception about Mormons is that we can't be trusted to share our beliefs honestly. How many times when I try to share what I believe does someone insist that I'm using alternate definitions? "You worship a 'different' Jesus." "When you say Mary was a 'virgin' you don't actually mean 'virgin' in the same sense other people mean..."

It's absurd. People can try to say that Mormons have their own definitions for "virgin" and "Christian" and "chastity" and "Jesus" and "sin" and "salvation" and so on...but let's say someone was converted on those pretexts, and then went to church and found out what we really meant? We'd never keep our converts, to say the least.

But then I've had people go so far as to say that only the leadership of the church really know what the words mean...which only begs the question, "then what does it matter?" If some dotty octegenarian in Utah thinks I'm worshipping Joseph Smith when I pray in the name of Jesus Christ...well then the joke's on him, because I'm not!

Anyway, this is the #1 for me, because it undermines most serious discussions.

Yerda

Veteran Member
That I have a faith is the most annoying misconception, but not in the sense that I'm annoyed by the suggestion that I might adhere to religion.

In the West of Scotland a lot of people look at you through shades that only register 'Catholic' and 'Protestant'. You don't often get asked what religion you follow, or encounter debates about the finer points of theology. You get asked, "Catholic or Protestant?"

Depending on your answer you can get anything from a smile, a pint, or a joke to a punch in the face.

In our charming sectarian way, Catholics are denoted as 'Tims' or the slightly stronger term, 'Fenian'. Protestants are often called 'Proddies', 'Huns', and 'Orange [word not allowed - means sons of no fathers]'. When I am asked whether I am a 'Tim' or a 'Hun' I employ words to the effect of 'neither since I am not a believer in Christ'. That rarely puts them off though since genuinely religious people are somewhat scarce here. The next question is, "Rangers or Celtic?"

Fans of Glasgow Celtic are presumed to be 'tattie' (potato) munching Catholics of Irish descent who are rabid supporters of republicanism and terrorism in Ireland. Fans of Glasgow Rangers are to be Protestants of no particular descent, but loyal to the Crown and fierce protectors of the six counties of Northern Ireland. The should also support the Ulster paramilitary movement, love King Billy (William of Orange) and hate the Pope. It's worth noting that there are infact 40 Scottish Football League Clubs of which many outside the Old Firm (Rangers and Celtic) are professional. Believe it or not there are also a host of other sports to watch. Nevertheless, the cultural myopia of the West dictates that you're either Celtic or Rangers (and therefore either Catholic or Protestant - a rule I've witnessed being applied to Pakistani Muslims who'd rather watch cricket!).

I was brought up to love Rangers (and I still do). I was also brougt up to love the Virgin Mary (never did). So I get it in the ear from both sides. And if you're still not convinced here an example of a conversation I had in a pub one day:

Man asks Scott (Scott is Jaiket's real-life pseudonym), "Where ye from, son?"

Scott tells man, "Airdrie."

Man asks Scott, sinisterly (I was in a Catholic area), "So yer a proddy then?"

Scott says, "No."

Man ask, surprised, "Whit team d'ye support?"

Scott pretends he's not worried, "Rangers, mate."

Man's accusingly, "Ye are a [word not allowed - means lovemaking] proddy then!"

Scott replies, while hoping his bladder should not fail, "No, I'm not."

Man's eyes narrow on Scott's, "Whit School did ye go tae?"

Scott says, bladder creaking, "St. Andrew's in Airdrie."

Man smiles "Oh, so yer a tim. Why'd ye no say so? Want a pint?"

Bladder survives intact.

Thus ends the lengthy tale of why Jaiket is bugged by the misconception that he has a 'faith'.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Welp day to day may ae the same for athiests and agnostics, but the "being confused" part is the most annoying. Sorry if I don't conform to a dogma.

Epsilon

Being considered a Satanist or Atheist because in my town that's what you are if you don't believe in a mainstream religion...
(I'm a Deist)

Cynic

"Aren't you afraid of going to hell?" - certain people often misconceive that atheists and agnostics assume that there is an afterlife

"You can't be neutral, you're either on our side or the devil's." - I'm often told what I should believe, which usually ends in some sort of ultimatum... Annoying to say the least.

"Man just couldn't have evolved from monkeys." - evolution is so misunderstood, such phrases show this lack of understanding.

What, for you, is the most annoying misconception about your faith?

Oh boy....dont ask this question to a muslim!

1. Being mistaken for a Sikh (long beards)
2. The wife must be walking 20 yards behind!
3. Muslim women get a daily beating from their Husbands/Fathers/Brothers.
4. Forced Marriages.
5. Shout 'Allah Hu Akbar' when angry.
6. Are Arabs
7. Speak Arabic
8. Mistake you for Mohammed!
9. Hate Jews
10. Mistake you for Usama!
11. Preach Hatred
12. Own a Taxi
13. Own a Shop
14. Cant speak english
15. Hate Freedom
16. Speak Muslim!
17. Being mistaken for a terrorist, when you said you were a tourist!
18. People think you're praying anytime you go down to the floor!
19. People get worried when you look in your lunch box and say 'Its going off!'
20. Have 9 kids

....list goes on....really!!
:faint:

BFD_Zayl

Real Sorceror said:
I suppose its easy for uneducated people to confuse "necromancer" with "necrophiliac". Man, you definitely got the short end when it comes to religous misconsceptions.

ps. have you considered using glitter instead of poison? Its cheaper, legal, and hurts just as bad. :D
hmm...glitter....well im not into the business of making people look pretty, it would be funny as heck though. besides the poisons and venoms are for personal defense...think of it as an...organic tazer, put some on a needle, keep it up your sleeve if a person decides to get homicidal just prick him in the arm, intense burning pain and numbness follow, for about 1-2 hours (depends on the venom) i generally use spider venoms of varying breeds, my fave one is the brown recluse, non lethal, painful, and makes a nasty welt that gathers pus. im off topic...sorry i tend to ramble when talking about my hobbies...uhhh ok a misconception i have not said yet....oh yes, we tend to avoid the sun, that we are Rob Zombie groupies. and that we are Discordians

Bishka

Veteran Member
One thing that a lot of people don't know about the LDS (and me in particular) is that

-we aren't perfect
-some us swear
- and drink caffine
- and don't dress modestly
-I don't know everything, why berate me over it when I don't know everything.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
here's one...

"G-d's Chosen People" does not mean that i am in any way, shape, or form better than anyone else nor does Judaism teach this!:rolleyes:

ayani

an assumption i've gotten is that, because i am neither muslim nor jewish and i cover my head, that i cover my head as a fashion statement, or to mock religious jews and muslims who cover. not at all! since when does one have to be of a specific (widely recognized) ethnic or religious group to be allowed to dress modestly?

Cosmic Spike

This is very hard for me to get my head around: a multifaith forum. To what end? The believers in a religion, except perhaps the Hindu, always believe theirs is best. Religions are a great way of burying your head in the sand. Seeing only what you want to see. If you've got a really good religion you can believe three impossible things before breakfast. Didn't Marx say it was the opium of the masses? (Hmm, feels comfortably numb, - was that Groucho or Harpo?)
Surely nothing in the world has caused more pain and conflict than religion? It's always a case of "mine is best and all you others are going straight to hell " or have I been dreaming? Think of the sheer horror of the Aztec religion. Shall we invite Aztec priests in for a nice cup of tea and a chat about how many fresh hearts each day keep the devils away?
A belief in God or in the supernatural is I think most authentic when it comes about as a personal experience rather than as an indoctrination of children. Think of Walt Whitman for instance, or William Blake. I dont notice any religions rushing forward to claim these glorious poets. Why? Perhaps because these two at least could think for themselves and outside of the box. Perhaps because the poets who find faith usually find it without the benefit of religious indoctrination. I'd trust an inspiring poet above a priest who wants to frighten or cajole me into his beliefs.
Is not the really hard position to take with regard to religion to live with an open mind and face up to the fact that there may be no supreme being pulling the strings and awarding brownie points. As John Lennon said - no heaven above and no hell below. I dont remember well but he I think he meant all things are here now, in this world. No need to change the world - change ourselves instead.
And if I feel the need for a god is it not up to me to strive to live towards my best conception/feeling of the divine and see if a divinity meets me half-way? One thing I know is true ;-) "We do not see the world as it is, we see it as we are."

nutshell

Cosmic Spike said:
This is very hard for me to get my head around: a multifaith forum. To what end? The believers in a religion, except perhaps the Hindu, always believe theirs is best. Religions are a great way of burying your head in the sand. Seeing only what you want to see. If you've got a really good religion you can believe three impossible things before breakfast. Didn't Marx say it was the opium of the masses? (Hmm, feels comfortably numb, - was that Groucho or Harpo?)
Surely nothing in the world has caused more pain and conflict than religion? It's always a case of "mine is best and all you others are going straight to hell " or have I been dreaming? Think of the sheer horror of the Aztec religion. Shall we invite Aztec priests in for a nice cup of tea and a chat about how many fresh hearts each day keep the devils away?
A belief in God or in the supernatural is I think most authentic when it comes about as a personal experience rather than as an indoctrination of children. Think of Walt Whitman for instance, or William Blake. I dont notice any religions rushing forward to claim these glorious poets. Why? Perhaps because these two at least could think for themselves and outside of the box. Perhaps because the poets who find faith usually find it without the benefit of religious indoctrination. I'd trust an inspiring poet above a priest who wants to frighten or cajole me into his beliefs.
Is not the really hard position to take with regard to religion to live with an open mind and face up to the fact that there may be no supreme being pulling the strings and awarding brownie points. As John Lennon said - no heaven above and no hell below. I dont remember well but he I think he meant all things are here now, in this world. No need to change the world - change ourselves instead.
And if I feel the need for a god is it not up to me to strive to live towards my best conception/feeling of the divine and see if a divinity meets me half-way? One thing I know is true ;-) "We do not see the world as it is, we see it as we are."

I have heard great poets, including Blake and Whitman, quoted often within my church. I'm looking at a Blake poem and art hanging on my wall as I speak.

Welcome to the RF. I encourage you to read the first post of this thread and try again as your post is off topic.

Cosmic Spike

Thanks Nutshell for the welcome. I asked if the post could be relocated, it went where it went while my eye was off the ball. I admire your good taste in poets!!
Its grand that your church should refer to these poets, or indeed to any poets not included in scripture. I never heard of such a thing, its heartening and quite unlike my experience of indoctrination or preaching.

andyjamal

servant
Most people haven't even heard of the Baha'i Faith, yet I find it annoying when they automatically associate it with its place of origin and wonder how an American came to be a member of this "Eastern" religion. What's ironic is that these people are usually Christians (where do they think Christianity originated?) Actually, the Baha'i Faith is the second most widespread religion on the planet.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
*Jamal* said:
Actually, the Baha'i Faith is the second most widespread religion on the planet.
According to www.adherents.com, the breakdown is as follows:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.3 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million
  5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
  6. Buddhism: 376 million
  7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
  8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
  9. Sikhism: 23 million
  10. Juche: 19 million
  11. Spiritism: 15 million