• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the name of G-d

arikroop

i have attended a private jewish school for most of my life, and i do not understand why people (mainly christian, not to generalize) say that G-d's hebrew name is "yahew" or "jaweh". first of, the holy name of G-d should never be pronounced, even in the name of education, secondly the letters yud hay vuv hay sound nothing like "yahew"... please clear this up... also are we not to use G-d's name in vain? guess wondering.

jimbob

The Celt
Why would we be using God's name in vain if he gave to us to use? Try reading the Bible/Torah. He says "Yahwey" in it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
jimbob said:
Why would we be using God's name in vain if he gave to us to use? Try reading the Bible/Torah. He says "Yahwey" in it.
maybe in yours...not in mine...
HaShem means not to show disrespect for His name by just using it where-ever and whenever
His is a holy name and should be treated as such...

may

Deut. 32.8 said:
Compare with ...

Speaking of Hebrew, early Jewish text (Talmud, Mishna, etc.) is peppered with phrases of the form "Rabbi X said ..." - proper attribution was deemed critically important. Plagiarism is still correctly deemed unethical.
good to see you are looking at good spiritual food:)

jimbob

The Celt
true blood said:
The bible teaches that God has no name. At one time Moses asked God about his name and God replied that he will be whatever he will be. Basicly, its kind of a dumb question considering God is a god.
Wrong. Gods name is, "I Am".

true blood

jimbob said:
Wrong. Gods name is, "I Am".
How am I wrong? "I Am" doesn't qualify as a "name". God's response was actually "I am that I am" in other words, "I will be what I will be". Kind of in contrast to other "gods" that go by a name of some sort.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
true blood said:
How am I wrong? "I Am" doesn't qualify as a "name". God's response was actually "I am that I am" in other words, "I will be what I will be". Kind of in contrast to other "gods" that go by a name of some sort.
Name of G-d: YHVH (not to be pronounced, refered to as HaShem or Adonoi)

true blood

That's the name given to God by the Jews. But to those who know him he is Abba aka Daddy. I suppose His name depends on the relationship. The true God isn't subject to any name given by humans. His name is Love, Peace, etc... The Jews had good reason to not say whatever they called him because they persecuted and killed all his prophets and repeatedly turned their backs on him to worship gods they made.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
another interesting thing is that the name YHVH comes from the root Heh-Yod-Heh, which means "to be" ...in fact traditionally speaking the name of G-d is also drawn from the hebrew for "He was, He is, He always will be"

may

(psalm 83; 18 That men may know that you, whose name is Jehovah , you alone are the most high over all the earth)

Lintu

Anyone read "The 72 Names of G-d" or something along those lines? It was on the Judaica table at Barnes and Noble. I think it's a Kabbalah based text.

cfmember

arikroop said:
i have attended a private jewish school for most of my life, and i do not understand why people (mainly christian, not to generalize) say that G-d's hebrew name is "yahew" or "jaweh". first of, the holy name of G-d should never be pronounced, even in the name of education, secondly the letters yud hay vuv hay sound nothing like "yahew"... please clear this up... also are we not to use G-d's name in vain? guess wondering.
Why should not the name of GOD never be pronounced?

wiskeychris

To think that gods name should not be used is rediculous. Jewish superstition took the name out of the bible for many years. The entire theme of the bible is the vindication of Gods name Jehovah. Its a theme that starts in Genesis and ends in Revelation.