• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Rule is Don't Get Caught

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I agree :D But if that is the only rule, there is only 1 risk, because nothing else would be bad to you.

What do you mean by 'nothing else would be bad to you'?
Getting jailed or killed would certainly be bad. :cover:

Or do you mean 'bad' as in moral wrong?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Getting caught doing anything I suppose, because every action you do is looked upon differently, negatively by some and positively by others. Lack of either perceptions is what I'm a spokesman for.

Weak minded is subjective. Believe that as you may, your beliefs are no matter to me.
Ah, you mean like breaking the rules?
How does that work if the ONLY rule is not get caught?

The only thing I can think of is that you are espousing an egotistical elitist attitude.
I.E. You are to good to bother with the rules of society, so you go with idea that as long as you do not get caught, you have done nothing wrong.
But it is self defeating simply because if you go to lengths to not get caught, you are showing that you know what you are doing is wrong. Otherwise you would not try hiding what you did in an attempt to avoid being caught.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We weren't discussing any specific moral, just that if you disagree with your friend... But if 95% agreed then it wouldn't matter any more than it does with 1%.

Why not?

Cool then, consider us special if that's what makes you sleep.
I didn't say "special", and I don't mean "special." That's a completely different concept.

And this sort of thing doesn't help me sleep.

Let me put it this way: If X recognizes itself as important but is overly unimportant, then it doesn't matter if it's important to itself, it's belief of importance is still unimportant
If there are tons of other Xs that share in that importance, then the importance is real.

There are differing levels of importance. Just because something doesn't matter in terms of the universe doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What do you mean by 'nothing else would be bad to you'?
Getting jailed or killed would certainly be bad. :cover:

Or do you mean 'bad' as in moral wrong?

Getting jailed would be part of getting caught, being killed is only wrong if you believe it is.

Morally wrong, what other kind of 'bad' is there?

Ah, you mean like breaking the rules?
How does that work if the ONLY rule is not get caught?

The only rule being not to get caught means that is the only rule you can break... Why plural it?

The only thing I can think of is that you are espousing an egotistical elitist attitude.

Then you are completely misunderstanding me.

I.E. You are to good to bother with the rules of society, so you go with idea that as long as you do not get caught, you have done nothing wrong.
But it is self defeating simply because if you go to lengths to not get caught, you are showing that you know what you are doing is wrong. Otherwise you would not try hiding what you did in an attempt to avoid being caught.

In that case, gay marriage is wrong because gays don't want to get caught marrying each other in states where it is illegal?

What is the law isn't always what is wrong...

Because the 1% still believes an opposing belief, neither are right. Thus both are pointless.

If there are tons of other Xs that share in that importance, then the importance is real.

Only subjectively. Subjectivity isn't reality, objectivity is. The closest to subjectivity reality touches is that X is relatively important to Y. Objectively, X is not important to Y, thus it isn't.

There are differing levels of importance. Just because something doesn't matter in terms of the universe doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all.

Above.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Getting jailed would be part of getting caught, being killed is only wrong if you believe it is.

Morally wrong, what other kind of 'bad' is there?

The only rule being not to get caught means that is the only rule you can break... Why plural it?

Then you are completely misunderstanding me.

In that case, gay marriage is wrong because gays don't want to get caught marrying each other in states where it is illegal?

What is the law isn't always what is wrong...

Because the 1% still believes an opposing belief, neither are right. Thus both are pointless.

Only subjectively. Subjectivity isn't reality, objectivity is. The closest to subjectivity reality touches is that X is relatively important to Y. Objectively, X is not important to Y, thus it isn't.

Above.
:facepalm:

I do not know if it is that you are merely poorly expressing something you understand or if you are doing your best to express something you poorly understand.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

One is more conducive to survival, overall happiness, and civil order. Therefore, the majority is correct.

Need both X and Y for the teleportation spell to work, and I'll give frubals to whoever gets the reference. ^_^

Subjectivity absolutely is reality. It's a transitory reality, but so are day and night. Would you say that those aren't real?

Don't confuse the transitory with the unreal.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Bad as in something i dislike.
I wouldn't like to get killed.

What you wouldn't like is the basis of your morality

:facepalm:

I do not know if it is that you are merely poorly expressing something you understand or if you are doing your best to express something you poorly understand.

Cool then, thanks for that irrelevant piece of art

One is more conducive to survival, overall happiness, and civil order. Therefore, the majority is correct.

Happiness, civil order, and survival are all subjective wants, and survival of one species is irrelevant to the grand scheme. Happiness of one species is irrelevant to the grand scheme, and civil order of one species is irrelevant to the grand scheme.

Subjectivity absolutely is reality. It's a transitory reality, but so are day and night. Would you say that those aren't real?

Objectively X subjectively thinks something, but the subjectivity is not objective.

Day and night are objectives.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thank you for revealing that any further "discussion" on this topic with you will be nothing more than the exact same waste of time the last 132 posts in thread have been.

Personally, I liked my post that pointed out the existential breakdown, but that's just me. :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
It's not a goal of feeling nothing, who said someone can't entertain themselves? Why would I be debating this if I came to that conclusion?

No, no... it's not a goal in place, it's more of a "I'm right and you're wrong" debate, just like all debates are. It will not improve or decline anything, it will make life easier to live.

If you have empathy the "not getting caught" morality makes life hell.

any respectable psychologist will tell you that.

Now any respectable psychologist will tell you that debating that is most likely coming from either: self denial (what I believe is the thing here) or sociopathy (I don`t believe that is the thing here)

The Sum of Awe

Personally, I liked my post that pointed out the existential breakdown, but that's just me. :p

It's not an existential breakdown though, because is it a breakdown if you don't feel it is a bad thing? And is it a breakdown if I came across by reasoning instead of experiencing depression?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's not an existential breakdown though, because is it a breakdown if you don't feel it is a bad thing? And is it a breakdown if I came across by reasoning instead of experiencing depression?

No. I call it a breakdown because it's a decontruction into what is assumed to be the essence, or the most essential, POV/perspective/behavior/thought necessary for existence.

Therefore I stand by my assessment. I've seen others similar to what you're currently exhibiting.

The Sum of Awe

I was actually refering to how he argues his point as though he is at least halfway attempting to convince himself his arguments have any merit.

Reply to my question or get out of this thread, because it's making the debate stop...