• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The period after death

(((( these Kings and princes could be with the Rich man or with Jesus after they die? ))))

Not true. The bible says no one has gone to heaven except Christ who came from heaven. So where are the dead?

In their graves both the good and not good............

John 5:28,29,NLT,
28 Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, 29 and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment.
Respectfully,
Slo

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Everytime i see this type of writing in the bible, it is normaly pointing out not to put trust in people of this world because when they die, their plans for the future dies with them. If you look around the texts, we do not find this passage talking about the after life, but this life on earth. For look at Jesus's Story in luke 14. A Rich man died and wants to return to his family and warn them about what going to happen if they dont change. Why cant he warn them now? Because to his family when he died, his thoughts, plans, ambitions stopped. Yet Jesus talks about the Rich man like he is still alive somewhere else.
My point is that, these scriptures are telling us not to put our Trust in Kings or Princes because when they Die, they cannot help you. Trust in God who can help. For who knows, these Kings and princes could be with the Rich man or with Jesus after they die?
In Love,
Tom

Thank you for your reply Tom.

Remember the' illustration' of the Rich Man in Luke 16 is just that an illustration or parable. It never actually happened. Jesus was using a story to convey a message to those haughty Pharisees who only gave spiritual crumbs to the poor Lazarus class or humble persons.

We should not put our trust in nobles or any earthling man.
In other words, man can not offer us salvation.
At death his thought perish and he can't help us.

We the living also can not help the dead.
We can not resurrect oneself or another.
We need Christ Jesus to do that for us and he will.
Daniel looked forward to that resurrection morning [12vs2,13] or Jesus millennial-long day or reigning over earth which starts with saving the sheep-like ones of Matthew 25vs31,32.

icebuddy

Does the devil lift Jesus up?
Not true. The bible says no one has gone to heaven except Christ who came from heaven. So where are the dead?

Hi slo,
im figuring out this web page. Anyways, good to see we found eachother... You know we believe differently you being a JW and Me a Quaker. However, I believe before Jesus died and rose from the dead there where 2 places exactly how Jesus tells them in luke 14 Paradise(Abrahams bossom) or Hell. The Heaven that no man has been to is in the presence of God the Father. (his house, if you will)

As for now, The Good go to be with Jesus at death and the Not Good ones to Hell. I know your religion doesnt believe in Hell as a place, but we do. No matter what we believe, the point is to be a Good one not a Bad one.

John 5:28,29,NLT,
28 Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, 29 and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment.

Slo,
You posted this to try to explain what happens, but i believe Jesus is talking to those still in their bodies on earth. For we will not have bodies until this period in time when Jesus gives us our new bodies. Yet, until then, the dead in Christ are with Jesus as Paul Writes.

Phl 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death.

Phl 1:21 For to me to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.
Phl 1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this [is] the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
Phl 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
Phl 1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh [is] more needful for you.

2Cr 5:6 Therefore [we are] always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
2Cr 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
2Cr 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Slo,
Where did Stephens Spirit Go?

in Love,
tom

Last edited:

icebuddy

Remember the' illustration' of the Rich Man in Luke 16 is just that an illustration or parable. It never actually happened. Jesus was using a story to convey a message

You need to ask yourself a question: Does Jesus ever use "False Ideas" to potray a truth? Jesus always used parables that "Could happen" or "Did happen". He always used illustrations of "true Things" not false things. So if this is a Real Story or a Parable, it is something of Truth not falsehoods.

We the living also can not help the dead.
We can not resurrect oneself or another.
We need Christ Jesus to do that for us and he will.

i do not disagree with you on this.

Daniel looked forward to that resurrection morning [12vs2,13] or Jesus millennial-long day or reigning over earth which starts with saving the sheep-like ones of Matthew 25vs31,32.

We agree on this as well. i just believe when one dies his spirit either goes to be with Jesus or to Hell.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

I believe Stephens Spirit is with Jesus now, as well as Pauls.

Phl 1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this [is] the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
Phl 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

in Love,
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I take its the same as going to sleep and eventually waking up with total amnesia. -NM-

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Where did Stephens Spirit Go?
in Love,
tom

If I may take the liberty to add that one's spirit is one's life force.

When we think of spirit we can think of being lively or action:
A 'high-spirited' horse is lively.
A pep rally can give 'school spirit'.

Stephens life force or spirit went back to where it originated.
All life originates with God so his spirit or life force went back to God.
Only in the resurrection is it possible to regain that spirit of life.
Either to life on earth or heavenly life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You need to ask yourself a question: Does Jesus ever use "False Ideas" to potray a truth? Jesus always used parables that "Could happen" or "Did happen". He always used illustrations of "true Things" not false things. So if this is a Real Story or a Parable, it is something of Truth not falsehoods.
We agree on this as well. i just believe when one dies his spirit either goes to be with Jesus or to Hell.
I believe Stephens Spirit is with Jesus now, as well as Pauls.
in Love,
Tom

Agree the 'spirit of life' that both Paul and Stephen had on earth is now the 'spirit of life' in their heavenly bodies reigning with Jesus. Rev 5vs9,10;20v6

The spirit of Adam and the spirit of Satan did Not go to hell.
Adam's life spirit came to an everlasting end, and so will Satan's spirit at his destruction -Hebrews 2v14 b.

Hell is the common grave of mankind that Jesus went to before resurrection.
Acts 2vs27,31. Jesus spirit was not with him while he was in hell.
Everyone's spirit or life's spirit returns to God.
Only if one is resurrected will that spirit return.
Like Adam, those of Matthew 12v32 will Not have the spirit of life returned to them.

Did the story of the Good Samaritan really happen?
No. It was an illustration or parable.
Are the wheat and weeds illustration actual weeds and wheat?
Are the sheep and goats of Matthew 25 literal animals?

Not all of Jesus illustrations or parables are literal stories.
They were used to teach a lesson.
Such as in the Good Samaritan we are taught to widen out in love for others.

Do you think one drop of literal water could cool or quench thirst?
Luke 16v24
Does the parable say the rich man was wicked?
Does being a poor beggar make one holy?
How could crumbs fill the beggar's stomach?
Wouldn't one desire to be fed more than crumbs?

Jesus was not using false ideas to portray a truth.
Jesus was directing the story to the Pharisees of Luke 16 vs14-18

The Pharisees where 'putting away' [vs18] from being Christ's bride.
Death ends the marriage vow and they would not accept the end of the Mosaic law covenant. [Rom 7vs1-6] In order to become Christ's bride they needed to be released from the law contract or covenant.

Nothing in verse 19 suggests the rich man was wicked, just wealthy.
Nothing in verse 20 suggests sickly Lazarus was holy just humble.
The crumbs of verse 21 were the 'spiritual crumbs' that the common people wanted from those haughty Pharisees. [Matt 23vs5-7]
Verse 22 the rich man dies and is: buried [grave].
Hell, the Biblical hell, is the common grave of mankind.
The torment [not torture] of the Pharisees was that the Lazarus class, the humble common people, would now be favored by God.
They would no longer have to beg for spiritual food.
Abraham's bosom would indicate having a favored position. see John 1v18.
Now that the Lazarus class [common people] were comforted by Jesus in verse 25 the Rich man class [false religious leaders] would be tormented.
They had their reward in full during their lifetime. None of their religious allies [brethern] would listen even if someone from the dead was resurrected.

I hope the ^above ^ is of some help.

icebuddy

Stephens life force or spirit went back to where it originated.
All life originates with God so his spirit or life force went back to God.
Only in the resurrection is it possible to regain that spirit of life.
Either to life on earth or heavenly life.

i dont disagree that ones "Spirit" goes to be with where it originated(Jesus). However, I do believe one is aware in the spirit. Paul says to Die is Gain and this gain is being away from the Flesh and at home with Jesus. It is clear to me that Paul at death considered it to be Gain and to be at home with Jesus, a thing he called far better than living in the flesh. Also, it would make no sense for Stephen to ask Jesus to recieve his Spirit if he thought it/he was going to be non-existant as well. I believe the Spirit is the part of man that survives death and Stephen was asking Jesus to recieve it and take to himself that which survives death.

From my plain reading of Acts 7:59, it seems unlikely that Stephen would appeal to Jesus to "Recieve my Spirit" if the spirit was merely his life force that was about to be non-existant.

Luk 20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Right before Jesus was to be taken captive, Moses and Elias apeared to Jesus and a few disiples. (Agreeing with my belief)

Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

I have heard people calling this a vission, but this wasnt a vission of the future. However this was in plain sight and the word Vission is also translated as Sight. They where instrucked to not say anything until Jesus was ressurected. I can only dream in my head of how excited the disiples where to tell everyone that they had seen Moses and Elias confirming everything they believed. This also set the stage for the desciples saying "recieve my Spirit" and to die is gain for death meant they would be as Moses and Elias as seen before.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Man can only kill your body, man cannot kill your Soul/Spirit. That means something survives death and we are not to be afraid of death.

Rev 6:9 ¶ And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

An example of souls/Spirits living after death in the flesh. no wonder why Jesus could tell the theif on the cross

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

In Love,
Tom

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Tom-

Please continue reading from Matthew 17v3 to verse 9.
Jesus plainly says they were to tell that 'vision' to no one.
The transfiguration according to Scripture was a 'vision'.
It was not a resurrection but a vision of Jesus future 'glory' time. [Matt 25v31]

Did Adam have a separate soul? _____ According to Genesis [2v7] after Adam received the breath of life then Adam became a living soul or person. No where does it say Adam came to possess a soul, or have a soul, but Adam was a soul or life. At death Adam became a dead soul. A dead soul because Ezekiel [18v4,20] says the soul that sins dies.
Adam sinned/ Adam died. From a living soul Adam became a dead soul.

Matt [10v28] yes, right a soul can be destroyed. The word translated there hell is from the word Gehenna. Gehenna was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed and not kept burning forever. That is why Gehenna [hellfire] is a fitting symbol of destruction. Everlasting punishment according to 2nd Thess [1v9] is destruction.

It is 'man' that can not permanently kill our life, or soul, or life as a living soul.
We can be considered alive to Christ because he knows he can resurrect us and he will.

Right. Revelation [6v9] shows 'souls can be slain' . Notice the past tense is used in Revelation. Once they were resurrected to 'heavenly life' slain souls became alive again.
However, the earthly resurrection does not take place until Jesus millennial-long day of reigning over earth.- Daniel 12 vs2,13

Isn't Luke [23v43] clear that the promise was made the day Jesus died, and not that it would be that very day the thief would be resurrected to paradise? The day Jesus died he went to hell, not heaven, and remained in hell [the common cold grave] until God resurrected Jesus. Jesus was resurrected then to heaven by God. The thief will be part of those of Acts [24v15] who will be resurrected on a paradisaic earth not heaven. All that died before Jesus died will not go to heaven. Jesus death opened up the way to heaven. David nor John the Baptist [Acts 2v34; Matt 11v11] went to heaven. Along with the thief, they will be part of the promise to Abraham that all families and all nations of the earth will be blessed.
Gen 12v3; 22vs17,18; Rev 22v2.

Where is the Scripture that says spirit originated with Jesus?

javajo

I believe personaly, absent from the body, BAM! present with the Lord. That brings me great joy! I also believe in a pre-trib rapture, and I may never taste death, which gives me joy, hope and happiness. I believe in the eternal security of the believer in Christ and that gives me great joy as well. So, "rejoice evermore and again I say rejoice!"

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The sheep-like people of Matthew 25vs31,32 have the opportunity to never taste death.
But they are alive 'on earth' and can stay living 'on earth' right into the start of Jesus 1000-year reign over earth with the prospect of everlasting life in view.
Who goes and who remains according to Proverbs 2vs21,22; 10v30?
[Psalm 92v7; 37vs11,29,38]

javajo, do you agree [1Cor 15v50] that flesh and blood can not inherit God's kingdom? Wouldn't that mean one does not go to heaven bodily [flesh/blood]?
So won't all that go to heaven [Rev 5vs9,10;20v6] die first?

walmul

Jesus believed he knew the period after death.
Jesus had a friend that was dead for four days.
According to Jesus recorded words at John [11vs11-14]
Jesus believed the dead sleep the deep sleep of death.

Even the word cemetery means sleeping place [RIP]

Jesus would have learned his beliefs from the Hebrew OT Scriptures.
King Solomon, who was known for his God-given wisdom, wrote
The dead are not conscious of anything- Ecc. 9vs5,10
The Psalmist agree:
Psalm 6v5 there is no remembrance.
Psalm 13v3 the dead sleep the sleep of death
Psalm 115v17 the dead do not praise God
Psalm 146v4 at death thoughts perish.

Daniel [12vs2,13] is interesting because Daniel was confident that many that sleep in the dust of the ground will awaken. Awaken on resurrection morning or during Christ's millennial-long day of reigning over earth when as Revelation [21vs4,5] says even death will be no more.
Our last enemy [1st Cor. 15v26] 'death' will be brought to nothing.
and Isaiah [25v8] assures us that death will be swallowed up forever.

As for our day or time frame, those that are as the living sheep-like people of Matthew [25vs31,32,46] can remain alive and keep right on living right into the start of Jesus peaceful 1000-year reign over earth and can gain everlasting life without ever having to die. Truly the good news of God's kingdom when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill.

Many things are taught by religion to religious people and to others, perceptions is however the thing which cause people to argue about religion, in your post is your perceptions regarding some statements made by Jesus in regards to the dead, Jesus also made other statements regarding death; a statement regarding Moses is indicative of a conversation Jesus might have had with Moses after it was decided to send him here in the flesh.

Another statement Jesus made regarding the dead was about Isaiah, who in his lifetime lived with him as John the Baptist, indicative of reincarnation.

Just two examples!

walmul.

javajo

javajo, do you agree [1Cor 15v50] that flesh and blood can not inherit God's kingdom? Wouldn't that mean one does not go to heaven bodily [flesh/blood]?
So won't all that go to heaven [Rev 5vs9,10;20v6] die first?
Well, I only wanted to answer the main question of the post, but I can discuss it a little, I suppose. I believe some of us will be alive and caught up (raptured) to heaven, and our bodies of flesh and blood will be changed at that moment, A couple verses should be sufficient:

1 Cor. 15

51 Listen! I am telling you a mystery. We will not all die. But we will all be changed. 52 That will happen in a flash, as quickly as you can wink an eye. It will happen when the last trumpet sounds. The trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised to live forever. And we will be changed. 53 Our natural bodies don't last forever. They must be dressed with what does last forever. What dies must be dressed with what does not die. 54 In fact, that is going to happen. What does not last will be dressed with what lasts forever. What dies will be dressed with what does not die. Then what is written will come true. It says, "Death has been swallowed up. It has lost the battle."—(Isaiah 25:8)

1 Thess. 4

The Lord Is Coming

13 Brothers and sisters, we want you to know what happens to those who die. We don't want you to be sad, as other people are. They don't have any hope.
14 We believe that Jesus died and rose again. When he returns, many who believe in him will have died already. We believe that God will bring them back with Jesus.
15 That agrees with what the Lord has said. When the Lord comes, many of us will still be alive. We tell you that we will certainly not go up before those who have died.
16 The Lord himself will come down from heaven. We will hear a loud command. We will hear the voice of the leader of the angels. We will hear a blast from God's trumpet. Many who believe in Christ will have died already. They will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them. We will be taken up in the clouds. We will meet the Lord in the air. And we will be with him forever. 18 So cheer each other up with these words of comfort.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
javajo-

1Cor 15v51 We [brothers verse 50] will not all sleep [in death] but we all [brothers vs50; Matt 25v40] will be changed. Please notice that there are those sleeping in death until when? As verse 52 mentions the last trumpet. So Jesus 'brothers' do not all sleep in death but are resurrected right away at their death at that time frame.
Flesh and blood [physical] can not inherit [vs50] the kingdom of God......

Matthew 25v32,40 agrees when the Lord comes, many of us will still be alive.
Those sheep-like ones are alive and can remain alive right into the start of Jesus peaceful 1000-year reign over earth. Jesus 'brothers [verse 40] on the other hand, go to their heavenly reward as soon as they die. They do not sleep in death or spend time in death.

1st Thess 4v13 also mentions Jesus 'brothers' [Matt 25v40] will be caught up in the clouds.
At what point was Jesus caught up with the clouds? It was after his resurrection.
Jesus brothers will be caught up because they will not sleep in death but be resurrected right away because they are part of the earlier first resurrection of Rev 20v6.

javajo

From 1 Thess 4: We believe that Jesus died and rose again. When he returns, many who believe in him will have died already. We believe that God will bring them back with Jesus. that agrees with what the Lord has said. When the Lord comes, many of us will still be alive. The Lord himself will come down from heaven. Many who believe in Christ will have died already. They will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them. We will be taken up in the clouds. We will meet the Lord in the air. And we will be with him forever.

From the above in 1 Thess...we see that those who have died, God will bring them back with Jesus (from Heaven, they aren't asleep, sleep is just a nice way to say their bodies are dead) when Jesus returns at the rapture . They receive their transformed resurrected bodies first, then we who are alive are caught up (raptured), and are tranformed, too. This is not talking about when the Lord ascended to Heaven after his 40 days on earth after he rose again, but a future time when the Lord will descend from Heaven with a shout and meet us in the air, as the angels said, in the same way you see him going, he shall return, in the clouds.

walmul

Many things are taught by religion to religious people and to others, perceptions is however the thing which cause people to argue about religion, in your post is your perceptions regarding some statements made by Jesus in regards to the dead, Jesus also made other statements regarding death; a statement regarding Moses is indicative of a conversation Jesus might have had with Moses after it was decided to send him here in the flesh.

Another statement Jesus made regarding the dead was about Isaiah, who in his lifetime lived with him as John the Baptist, indicative of reincarnation.

Just two examples!

walmul.

Isaiah should read Ilishah, my apologies.

walmul

walmul

From 1 Thess 4: We believe that Jesus died and rose again. When he returns, many who believe in him will have died already. We believe that God will bring them back with Jesus. that agrees with what the Lord has said. When the Lord comes, many of us will still be alive. The Lord himself will come down from heaven. Many who believe in Christ will have died already. They will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them. We will be taken up in the clouds. We will meet the Lord in the air. And we will be with him forever.

From the above in 1 Thess...we see that those who have died, God will bring them back with Jesus (from Heaven, they aren't asleep, sleep is just a nice way to say their bodies are dead) when Jesus returns at the rapture . They receive their transformed resurrected bodies first, then we who are alive are caught up (raptured), and are tranformed, too. This is not talking about when the Lord ascended to Heaven after his 40 days on earth after he rose again, but a future time when the Lord will descend from Heaven with a shout and meet us in the air, as the angels said, in the same way you see him going, he shall return, in the clouds.

Your quote could also have been a parable; looking at John the Baptist who have been Ilishah in a previous life it is possible that Jesus meant those who lived in his lifetime in the flesh can be here again living in the flesh (having reincarnated) when he sends his angels to fetch the souls of those who finally understood his words, leaving the physical bodies behind as food for the vultures Matthew chapter 24 verse 28 "Wherever there is a dead body, the vultures will gather".

walmul.

icebuddy

Please continue reading from Matthew 17v3 to verse 9.
Jesus plainly says they were to tell that 'vision' to no one.
The transfiguration according to Scripture was a 'vision'.

i dont personaly think the bible uses false ideas to potray a truth. Yes the bible says "Vission", but the greek word used here is of plain sight. Other Parts of the bible explain this as a plain sight vission that was real.

Luk 9:30 And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:
Luk 9:31 Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

The Other disiples were alseep and when they woke up, they saw Moses and Elias. The Bible goes to extra measures here to tell us that this was a real event that really did happen. I understand it doesnt line up with your belief and thats why you see it different, but you must ask yourself, did the disiples think it was real? The disiples didnt question it one bit. Matter of fact they where going to make stuff for them and had no question that they were in a state of existing although they died in the flesh. Thats the real lesson to me.

No where does it say Adam came to possess a soul, or have a soul, but Adam was a soul or life.

You are reading something that isnt there. Gen 2:7 is one clear example of how the word Soul is used, but it is not the only way. Gen 2:7 doesnt say what Adam is not and we can only speculate what he exactly was before the Fall of man. Clearly after Adam ate the fruit of Good and Evil he was changed. Before that we can guess, but we dont fully know.

Gen 35:18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing,

here we see the Soul departing the body. A clear passage showing another use of the word soul.

2Ki 4:27 ... And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul [is] vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid [it] from me, and hath not told me.

Again, the soul is also reffered to as the "Inner Man". PS 42:6 & 43:5 are more examples of the soul being the inner man. Rev 6:9-10 has souls existing after death.

A dead soul because Ezekiel [18v4,20] says the soul that sins dies.

There are a number of ways to read this. Since the soul that sins dies, yet the person sinning is still alive, we can translate this as spiritualy dead. For one can sin and sin and sin, but be alive. But we will all agree he is spiritualy dead.

Anyway you want to look at it, Ezekiel was dealing with the doctorine of inherited Sin. Ezekiel's clear message was they the Soul (person) that sins will be the guilty one. hence, the Soul the sins will die. We all die in the flesh, so I must assume he is talking about spiritual death.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

It is 'man' that can not permanently kill our life, or soul, or life as a living soul.
We can be considered alive to Christ because he knows he can resurrect us and he will.

As my good friend Slo-Motion puts it, Private interpitation. just so you know, Im not against private interpitation, I just want to point out that others have it. if you read Pauls understanding of death, you would get a different idea.

Paul clearly says to Die is gain and that Gain is to be with Christ Jesus.

Isn't Luke [23v43] clear that the promise was made the day Jesus died, and not that it would be that very day the thief would be resurrected to paradise?

The Term "Truly I say to you" is a greek phrase used 74 times in the New Testament. Jesus uses the Phrase here and says, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise." i read the passage very different from you. (take the phrase out and Jesus says that Today you shall be with me in Paradise. A place he spoke about in Luke 14. i find it interesting that only at this passage do you disagree with the greek text?

The day Jesus died he went to hell, not heaven, and remained in hell [the common cold grave] until God resurrected Jesus.

Jesus's Spirit was with God the Father. Only Jesus's Flesh was in the Grave.

All that died before Jesus died will not go to heaven. Jesus death opened up the way to heaven.

Agreed :) we just believe differently on the inbetween

David nor John the Baptist [Acts 2v34; Matt 11v11] went to heaven.

Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

i believe both David and John are with Jesus now in Spirit state of existance.

Where is the Scripture that says spirit originated with Jesus?

As you may already know, i believe Jesus to be God with the Father and Holy Spirit. The scriptures I use to proove this is found within those filled with the Holy Spirit and had been with Jesus while he walked the earth.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Clearly the disiples knew this passage. Take a look at who they thought their Spirit was going to:

Clearly Stephen calls upon Jesus to recieve his spirit. This is also more information that can be used to show Jesus as God (creator of all) with the Father and HS. Also as mentioned above, Paul writes to die is gain and that death meant to be at home with Jesus. (in spirit form)

In Love,
Tom

icebuddy

Adam's life spirit came to an everlasting end, and so will Satan's spirit at his destruction -Hebrews 2v14 b.

As for Adams life spirit comming to a everlasting end, i believe this to be private interpitation. Again, not against it, just pointing it out. I like to think(my private interpitation) that even Adam has some chance for salvation through Christ.

Hell is the common grave of mankind that Jesus went to before resurrection.
Acts 2vs27,31. Jesus spirit was not with him while he was in hell.
Everyone's spirit or life's spirit returns to God.

i agree with this to a point

Only if one is resurrected will that spirit return.

This is where we may disagree a bit. I believe ones spirit goes to be with Jesus at death. When Jesus returns to earth, he will then give these good ones a new body and join their Spirit with their new bodies.

Did the story of the Good Samaritan really happen?
No. It was an illustration or parable.

Thats a huge private interpitation gone wrong in my books. why?
1. Jesus never used falsehoods in parables or illustrations
2. Jesus also names the person lazarus pointing to a true event

Also it is noteworthy that even if this is a parable or illustration that we are to conclude Jesus teaching of a conscious existance after death. For thats exactly what he is speaking about. Theres no escape of Jesus talking about a conscious existance after death in these passages. One would have to conclude Jesus used false ideas. (Jesus never uses false ideas) I also can see that Jesus names lazarus (the good man) and doesnt name the Evil Man for the reasons later defined as Jesus only knowing those who do Good. I will take this one step father and say this lazarus was the same lazarus that died and Jesus brought back to life.

Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Jhn 12:9 When all the people heard of Jesus' arrival, they flocked to see him and also to see Lazarus, the man Jesus had raised from the dead.
Jhn 12:10 Then the leading priests decided to kill Lazarus, too,
Jhn 12:11 for it was because of him that many of the people had deserted them and believed in Jesus.

This fullfills Jesus words, "neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Remember that Jesus didnt raise from the dead and appear to the evil ones. only Lazarus was raised from the dead and appeared to evil people that where not persuaded.

Are the wheat and weeds illustration actual weeds and wheat?
Are the sheep and goats of Matthew 25 literal animals?

The problem with your thinking here is that they are not false ideas. Regaurdless of how you want to rationalize Luke 16 because of your belief you must come to the single conclussion that even if Jesus is talking in parables and illustrations that he is teaching about a conscious existance after death, you cannot escape this truth.

Do you think one drop of literal water could cool or quench thirst?

The clear point is that we do not want to go there, its very bad. My dad use to say, "People in hell want ice water too". im sure a saying pulled from this verse. However, you are overthinking this one to allow room for your belief. You are so distracted by these "other" things that you missed the point of Jesus explaining about a conscious existance after death. A clear teaching in his message.

Nothing in verse 19 suggests the rich man was wicked, just wealthy

First off he doesnt mention the rich mans name, meaning it is a person not know to Jesus. Second, The rich man is on the bad side of Jesus's story. Jesus is a just judge of character.
Third, The Rich man knows he has done something that needs corrected by telling his family
Last, Jesus explains that they didnt listen to the Prophets and wont listen now
**If you dont see the rich man as bad, then I believe we will not agree**

Nothing in verse 19 suggests the rich man was wicked, just wealthy.
Nothing in verse 20 suggests sickly Lazarus was holy just humble

First, Jesus mentions him by name. (he knows him)
Second, Lazarus was in Abrahams bossom (a desired place)
** i also see Lazarus as good by mean of the story **

i dont think we are going to agree on this. Are you a Jehovahs Witness

In Love,
Tom

Last edited:
As for Adams life spirit comming to a everlasting end, i believe this to be private interpitation. Again, not against it, just pointing it out. I like to think(my private interpitation) that even Adam has some chance for salvation through Christ.

When Adam died, he is dead forever, for he was perfect, without blemish (Gen 1:31), but violated God's commandment concerning eating from the "tree of knowledge of good and bad."(Gen 3:6) God then pronounced judgment on him, saying: "Because you listened to your wife’s voice and took to eating from the tree concerning which I gave you this command, ‘You must not eat from it,’ cursed is the ground on your account.....In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”(Gen 3:17, 19)

The apostle Paul wrote that "Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression."(1 Tim 2:14) Though flesh and blood, he was a perfect "son of God"(Luke 3:38) and no different than the angels, though spirits, who "sinned", leaving God's heavenly presence to follow the course of Satan. As a result of sinning, these angels have been ' thrown into Tartarus' , a debased spiritual condition.(1 Pet 2:4)

This is where we may disagree a bit. I believe ones spirit goes to be with Jesus at death. When Jesus returns to earth, he will then give these good ones a new body and join their Spirit with their new bodies.

Thats a huge private interpitation gone wrong in my books. why?
1. Jesus never used falsehoods in parables or illustrations
2. Jesus also names the person lazarus pointing to a true event

Also it is noteworthy that even if this is a parable or illustration that we are to conclude Jesus teaching of a conscious existance after death. For thats exactly what he is speaking about. Theres no escape of Jesus talking about a conscious existance after death in these passages. One would have to conclude Jesus used false ideas. (Jesus never uses false ideas) I also can see that Jesus names lazarus (the good man) and doesnt name the Evil Man for the reasons later defined as Jesus only knowing those who do Good. I will take this one step father and say this lazarus was the same lazarus that died and Jesus brought back to life.

Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Jhn 12:9 When all the people heard of Jesus' arrival, they flocked to see him and also to see Lazarus, the man Jesus had raised from the dead.
Jhn 12:10 Then the leading priests decided to kill Lazarus, too,
Jhn 12:11 for it was because of him that many of the people had deserted them and believed in Jesus.

This fullfills Jesus words, "neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Remember that Jesus didnt raise from the dead and appear to the evil ones. only Lazarus was raised from the dead and appeared to evil people that where not persuaded.

The problem with your thinking here is that they are not false ideas. Regaurdless of how you want to rationalize Luke 16 because of your belief you must come to the single conclussion that even if Jesus is talking in parables and illustrations that he is teaching about a conscious existance after death, you cannot escape this truth.

The clear point is that we do not want to go there, its very bad. My dad use to say, "People in hell want ice water too". im sure a saying pulled from this verse. However, you are overthinking this one to allow room for your belief. You are so distracted by these "other" things that you missed the point of Jesus explaining about a conscious existance after death. A clear teaching in his message.

First off he doesnt mention the rich mans name, meaning it is a person not know to Jesus. Second, The rich man is on the bad side of Jesus's story. Jesus is a just judge of character.
Third, The Rich man knows he has done something that needs corrected by telling his family
Last, Jesus explains that they didnt listen to the Prophets and wont listen now
**If you dont see the rich man as bad, then I believe we will not agree**

First, Jesus mentions him by name. (he knows him)
Second, Lazarus was in Abrahams bossom (a desired place)
** i also see Lazarus as good by mean of the story **

i dont think we are going to agree on this. Are you a Jehovahs Witness

In Love,
Tom

Concerning the account of “Lazarus and the rich man” at Luke 16, this is an illustration. After Jesus had said that an individual should “make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that when such fail, they may deliver you into the everlasting dwelling places” and then completing this, by saying: “You cannot be slaves to God and to riches” (Luke 16:9, 13), the “Pharisees, who were money lovers,....began to sneer at him.”(Luke 16:14) Responding to these taunts, Jesus now gave an illustration regarding the status of the religious leaders in God’s eyes, contrasting their haughty spirit with those of “Lazarus”, the humble common people who were supposed to be spiritually fed at the “table” of the “rich man” or religious leaders.

The name “Lazarus” was a common name, and therefore represented “the people of the land”, the ‛am ha·’a´rets, who were abused spiritually at the hands of the “rich man”, the religious leaders of Jesus day. These were fed spiritual "crumb" by them.(Luke 16:21, King James Bible) The death of each one pictured a change in status before God. The “rich man” or religious leaders were proud and arrogant, even to the point of ‘ overstepping the commandment of God because of your tradition’(Matt 15:3), and Jesus called them “blind guides.”(Matt 15:14)

Thus, these were no longer in favor with God, but on the other hand, the common people were listening to Jesus. Jesus therefore told the religious leaders: “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and the harlots are going ahead of you into the kingdom of God. For John came to you in a way of righteousness, but you did not believe him. However, the tax collectors and the harlots believed him, and you, although you saw this, did not feel regret afterwards so as to believe him.”(Mat 21:31, 32)

These religious leaders did “not listen to Moses and the Prophets” (Luke 16:31), for these prophetically spoke of Jesus and God said through Moses, that “it must occur that the man who will not listen to my words that he will speak in my name, I shall myself require an account from him.”(Deut 18:18, 19) Jesus was calling these religious leaders to account for not listening to his words that he spoke from his Father and in the year 70 C.E. the entire nation was called to account, in a little over 4 1/2 months, for their total disregard of God’s laws, for by August 30, the conquest of the nation had been effected.

Last edited: