• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As great as an idea as it was back when it appeared, and more equally applied to a broader base than just nobility, a jury system--especially as we know and have it--is really likely a major roadblock towards creating a more just system. And, really, it just gave a shield from the state to some people while letting others just be left to the dogs (sometimes even with the charade of having adequate legal defense).
As I see the purpose of juries, it's not that they're
inherently more just than judges. Instead, it prevents
government from having undue control. Compare it
to China, where accusation of crime makes conviction
inevitable.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Suddenly everyone is a pedant!

HEY!!!!! I ain't no pendant.....but I will sell you one... for a small fee....and a pick-a-nick basket or two

JNF-BEAR-GRIZZLY-PENDANT-TERRY-2.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
As I see the purpose of juries, it's not that they're
inherently more just than judges. Instead, it prevents
government from having undue control. Compare it
to China, where accusation of crime makes conviction
inevitable.
I was thinking more just get rid of the emotion and bias and memory recall error and all the other problems related to the human problem.
Just let it go to the robots.

Shadow Wolf

At least one of those robots would agree with me on the need for more logic and less emotion during trials.
At least one of those robots is a bumbling idiot. Actually two of them are.
Some of them we can't understand anything they're saying.
At least on of those robots would try to kill us anyways, regardless, no questions asked, and they're pretty good at it.
One of those robots is not a robot. But they'll kill us anyways, and they're already in a state of permanent enragement so it's not like your misidentifying them hurt their feelings (anger and arrogance are they're only two).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sometimes I relate to robots and machines. Usually when my soul feels as cold as their metallic outer shell. Warmth comes through digging deep inside myself and becoming the person my mind has been picturing. Sometimes my faith also hinders me rather than helps. When that happens, I just have to kind of change course.

Shadow Wolf

Random useless computer tip of the day: The fast parallel processors of the graphics card process things per a pixel generally, with a few slight exceptions. But these days you have per a pixel lighting in most Game Engines etc. So a 4K screen takes almost 4 times as much Graphics Processing Unit performance to run as a 1080p screen, though the performance hit won't quite be ~75 percent as your CPU tends to stay almost full performance. So we're talking a slightly smaller performance hit. Although high framerates are hard on both CPU and GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).
I'm getting back to looking at stuff to build a computer.
But still looking because I still need a few things for my car, and I do want to get the windows tinted.
And then I'm going to be collecting parts for a computer. But damn I really do not think I want to spend $1,000 or more on a motherboard. The new raytracing and other graphic enhancements for Mario 64 look amazing, but even if I could afford those motherboards I still might hesitate over wondering if it's really actually worth it over the highly rated ones that are way cheaper.

Shadow Wolf

Sometimes I relate to robots and machines. Usually when my soul feels as cold as their metallic outer shell. Warmth comes through digging deep inside myself and becoming the person my mind has been picturing. Sometimes my faith also hinders me rather than helps. When that happens, I just have to kind of change course.
I relate to Data a lot, and in many ways. We may even become close friends in our mutual quest to understand these weird human critters.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm getting back to looking at stuff to build a computer.
But still looking because I still need a few things for my car, and I do want to get the windows tinted.
And then I'm going to be collecting parts for a computer. But damn I really do not think I want to spend $1,000 or more on a motherboard. The new raytracing and other graphic enhancements for Mario 64 look amazing, but even if I could afford those motherboards I still might hesitate over wondering if it's really actually worth it over the highly rated ones that are way cheaper.

$1000 for a motherboard? Did you mean graphics card?

Raytacing can sometimes be a bit overrated as it's still in its infancy stages. What I recommend is if you're really going Enthusiast, to get the right PCI-E SSD. It'll have great load times, and there's a chance games 4 years from now *could* use it and use it like a giant fast RAM for game data. The bad thing? It'll cost you 20 extra bucks and A LOT of research.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The two most important things researching PCI-E SSDs is the speed (1500+MB/sec is usually good) and whether the motherboard you choose supports it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Also, you mentioned Raytracing, but that's implemented at the Graphics Card level, even if the clever marketing of Motherboard manufacturers tries to trick people.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Remember, motherboards, whether labelled gaming or non-gaming according to the marketing, only affect performance about 5 percent going in either direction. If you have a $200 motherboard, and a $500 or more motherboard, and you're a gamer... the only difference you'll probably notice between the two is the $500 motherboard will probably get you like a +400MHz higher overclock.

Sometimes marketing can be deceptive. Manufacturers of motherboards add red lights to the board, call it the "Gaming" edition to sell it to beginner teens who don't know much about computers, and while it may have slightly better metals and stuff, charge $300 extra.

I've been drinking a lot of water today. I have a mild cough. But drinking water helps.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
At least one of those robots would agree with me on the need for more logic and less emotion during trials.
At least one of those robots is a bumbling idiot. Actually two of them are.
Some of them we can't understand anything they're saying.
At least on of those robots would try to kill us anyways, regardless, no questions asked, and they're pretty good at it.
One of those robots is not a robot. But they'll kill us anyways, and they're already in a state of permanent enragement so it's not like your misidentifying them hurt their feelings (anger and arrogance are they're only two).

That shot of Twiki reminded me of the "Computer Council" which apparently ruled Earth when Buck awakens in the 25th century.

ComputerCouncil_06.bmp

Imagine a society run by these things.

Then there's also this possibility:

06f740d6-7ad3-45f1-87f8-64820c5147e2_thumb.jpg

Data would make a fair juror - unless it's one of those episodes where he's malfunctioning. Worse still, Lore might take his place. Not sure about the others, although Rosie from the Jetsons seemed honest enough. She might be okay as a juror.