• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was hoping to retire before that happened

Have you forgotten history. The date will slip. If anyone installs it when it's first released, they are a fool or a glutton for punishment. But if that fails, the AI embedded in W12 will be wonderful.

Clippy-e1587594649534.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You can get whatever you want to. However, I did want to say that it seems like the Intel 12th generation processors are becoming inexpensive.
Hopefully soon I'll get my phlebotomy externship soon so I can get a job. At this point I don't need a new computer for gaming but functionality and stability. I'm probably going to have to back my data up and do a system wipe on it as it is, and then on top of that it's a decade old.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Hopefully soon I'll get my phlebotomy externship soon so I can get a job. At this point I don't need a new computer for gaming but functionality and stability. I'm probably going to have to back my data up and do a system wipe on it as it is, and then on top of that it's a decade old.

I may be focused a bit on stability these days too as I'm working on a couple of different programming projects. I have a laptop as my main, but honestly, I think I must've run it a little hard, with my 4-6 hour a day programming sessions, as after 5 months of use, it doesn't necessarily run completely like new. And despite me running it for only 5 months, and not overclocking or anything, I'm just crossing my fingers I can get another 3-4 months out of it, despite me feeling I already pretty much got my money's worth out of it.

I actually have a few other computers too. But some aren't really good for actual development, and are more used for testing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A decade is very very old in computer years.

Shadow Wolf

I may be focused a bit on stability these days too as I'm working on a couple of different programming projects. I have a laptop as my main, but honestly, I think I must've run it a little hard, with my 4-6 hour a day programming sessions, as after 5 months of use, it doesn't necessarily run completely like new. And despite me running it for only 5 months, and not overclocking or anything, I'm just crossing my fingers I can get another 3-4 months out of it, despite me feeling I already pretty much got my money's worth out of it.

I actually have a few other computers too. But some aren't really good for actual development, and are more used for testing.
At this point I just want to do most my gaming on PC. And now Steam and GoG have lots of what I play on consoles. And what they don't have those consoles don't require updates, online connections, subscriptions and aren't designed to forever milk money out of you. The games are also WAY better.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Zombie' fungus causes 'incredible urge' for males to mate with female corpses, study says | The National Desk

WASHINGTON (TND) — New research out of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark reveals some interesting, albeit disgusting facts about a fungus that affects common houseflies.

The fungus is called Entomophthora muscae, and it survives by causing male flies to perform necrophilia with infected female corpses.

It works like this. First, the fungus infects the female fly with deadly spores that consume the fly from within slowly over roughly six days. Second, after the fungus has completely taken over the female fly, it changes the females' behavior causing the flies to the highest point it can reach, whether on top of vegetation or a wall, the study says. Then, the fly dies.

When the fungus kills the female it releases chemical signals to male flies called sesquiterpenes.

During the copulation, spores from the dead female are showered onto the male, which then suffers the same fate as the female. As the male fly is likely to travel, this ensures the survival of the "zombie" Entomophthora muscae fungus.

"Our observations suggest that this is a very deliberate strategy for the fungus. It is a true master of manipulation – and this is incredibly fascinating," says Henrik H. De Fine Licht.

The research by The University of Copenhagen and the Swedish University of Agriculture Sciences in Alnarp also showed that the corpses of dead female flies become more attractive the more time that has passed. Meaning, the longer the fly is left rotting, the more attractive it is to male flies.

The study found 15% of males copulated with dead females that have been dead for 3-8 hours, while 73% of male flies tried to mate with a dead female that has been dead for 25-30 hours.

While all of this may seem disgusting to some, there is a side-effect that could benefit all. Scientists working on the study say the new knowledge could lead to more effective fly repellents in the future.

"Flies are quite unhygienic and can sicken humans and animals by spreading coli bacteria and any diseases that they are carrying. So, there is an incentive to limit housefly populations, in areas where food is being produced for example. This is where the Entomophthora muscae fungus may prove useful. It might be possible for us to use these same fungal fragrances as a biological pest control that attracts healthy males to a fly trap instead of a corpse," De Fine Licht wrote.

What a diabolical fungus.

b6b9edbb3fab656c9264250072034167.jpg

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
In the pantheon of the gods, the least among them was Bob. God of poor choices and dubious claims.

Bob's favorite, perhaps only supplicant was Barbara Ann.

Barbara Ann regularly glorified Bob with her bad decisions and wild claims.

Her selfie mishap on the Empire State Building is still talked about to this day by the gods.

Shadow Wolf

In the pantheon of the gods, the least among them was Bob. God of poor choices and dubious claims.

Bob's favorite, perhaps only supplicant was Barbara Ann.

Barbara Ann regularly glorified Bob with her bad decisions and wild claims.

Her selfie mishap on the Empire State Building is still talked about to this day by the gods.
This Bob?
latest