• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
What is the DSM category for excessive interest in machines?

Excessive interest in machines is not currently classified as a mental disorder in the DSM-5, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders [1][2]. However, it may be classified as a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, as it can be characterized by persistent, intrusive thoughts and behaviors related to machines.

1. Paraphilia - Wikipedia
Paraphilia - Wikipedia

2. Maladaptive Daydreaming: Symptoms and Diagnosis | Sleep ...
Maladaptive Daydreaming: Symptoms and Diagnosis | Sleep Foundation

Behavioral Addiction versus Substance Addiction: Correspondence ...
Behavioral Addiction versus Substance Addiction: Correspondence of Psychiatric and Psychological Views

(compared to:)

The DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition) does not have a specific category for excessive interest in machines. However, it does include a diagnostic category called "obsessive-compulsive and related disorders" which includes several disorders that might involve excessive preoccupation with particular objects or activities.

One disorder that might be relevant to excessive interest in machines is "hoarding disorder." People with hoarding disorder have persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value, due to a perceived need to save them, a fear of losing them, or a strong attachment to them. In some cases, people with hoarding disorder might collect or hoard objects related to machines or technology.

It's important to note, however, that simply having a strong interest in machines does not necessarily indicate a mental disorder. Only when such an interest interferes with a person's daily functioning, causes distress, or meets the criteria for a specific disorder as outlined in the DSM-5, would a diagnosis be appropriate.

it is sexual interest,,,,,, I did not check the DSM to be certain... and it was mostly a joke.....although it is a real word...but it is still not exactly a hobby

Mechanophilia

Do you have Gelotophobia or something

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm sorry... but this does not say hire me IMO

5f495dd7e7e2901425ace308_o_U_v2.jpg
Can he do the job?

Wu Wei

Can he do the job?

I don't know, but the fact that he has copious tattoos, or any tattoos means nothing when it comes to applying to, and getting, the job from my perspective. However It may make a big pifference in a public relations, counseling, or a public facing job.........

Shadow Wolf

I don't know, but the fact that he has copious tattoos, or any tattoos means nothing when it comes to applying to, and getting, the job from my perspective. However It may make a big pifference in a public relations, counseling, or a public facing job.........
It's shows commitment and dedication, cleanliness and he can get through difficult and painful things, as well as being able to follow guidelines with having his ears gauged like that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's shows commitment and dedication, cleanliness and he can get through difficult and painful things, as well as being able to follow guidelines with having his ears gauged like that.

He doesn't appear to be dressed appropriately for an office setting.

Wu Wei

OK, now have him get the network back online when it is down, fix an O365 issue, design a website, deal with an REAL annoying user...without getting upset.....

Shadow Wolf

OK, now have him get the network back online when it is down, fix an O365 issue, design a website, deal with an REAL annoying user...without getting upset.....
What if fixes cars? What if he does fix things like that? Lots of people like him do work computers so I'd say there's a far chance he does that.

Wu Wei

What if fixes cars? What if he does fix things like that? Lots of people like him do work computers so I'd say there's a far chance he does that.

A mechanic, right out of the garage applying for a job in IT, without any additional training in or experience in IT, just because he has tattoos...sorry no

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
well then....let me think....no

Well, I agree that it's a good thing to properly screen job applicants. The wrong people in the wrong job can lead to monumental screw-ups like this: Spain: 31 Trains Costing $276M Were Too Big for Rail Tunnels (businessinsider.com)

• Spanish region spent $276 million on trains before they realized they were too big to fit in the tunnels.
  • Two officials in the transport industry were fired as a consequence.
  • The president of Cantabria, a region of northern Spain, called the error an "unspeakable botch."

I seem to recall that it was in Spain where they built a tall skyscraper without an elevator.

I wonder what Franco would have done if he was still around.

041cf61fdcc3896a8b1c846560a40a6090262943.gif

Shadow Wolf

A mechanic, right out of the garage applying for a job in IT, without any additional training in or experience in IT, just because he has tattoos...sorry no
I didn't say it meant he could do, just that it doesn't mean he can't, and lots of people like him actually do work in IT so that's not really a stab you want to take. It's more like you'll get a yes than this one time I used entomologist in a way that was meant to be a no, but holy **** turns out the person I said that to actually was an entomologist.