• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm watching episode 3 and just saw a bit where an exchange from the book was enacted. Cool. Ineffable even?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And now for something completely timely

362668663_328706816156344_454494182374053651_n.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The program allows Californians to return beverage containers to privately-owned recycling centers in exchange for 5 to 10 cents per container.

It’s funded by Californians every time they purchase an eligible item: The CRV tax is tacked onto the initial cost, but can be redeemed upon return. By redeeming ineligible items from outside of the state, scammers effectively steal money from the pockets of Californians.

Only 10 states have beverage container deposit programs like California’s, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. It’s illegal to transport cans or bottles across state lines to redeem the cash payout.

This discrepancy in state-by-state recycling redemptions became the subject of a “Seinfeld” plot line in 1996, when Kramer and Newman concoct a scheme to take a truckload of recyclables to Michigan to cash in on the 10-cent deposit return.

In recent years, people with the same idea have been nabbed in Michigan, California, and elsewhere.

Earlier this year, two Arizona business owners were arrested for their alleged roles in a $10 million recycling fraud scheme, in which they allegedly trucked hundreds of tons of recyclables from Arizona to California to take advantage of the CRV program.

“California’s recycling program is funded by consumers and helps protect our environment and our communities,” said California Attorney General Rob Bonta. “Those who try to undermine its integrity through criminal operations will be held accountable.”

giphy%20%284%29_oay22s.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I got another needed reminder it's just HR ******** who don't like me and bombard me with endless rejection. While I've found some possible friendship potential in some at the girly not religious group after just a couple weeks I go years amd years without getting hired.
So, yeah, I have decided the problem entirely is not me but those who do the hiring.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I got another needed reminder it's just HR ******** who don't like me and bombard me with endless rejection. While I've found some possible friendship potential in some at the girly not religious group after just a couple weeks I go years amd years without getting hired.
So, yeah, I have decided the problem entirely is not me but those who do the hiring.

I'm neurodivergent, so you'd think that'd factor more into whether people hire me, but I seem to repeat a different problem all the time... I'll get a job, get trained by a main boss, the boss will act somewhat fondly of me, or never really get mad at me, then as I spend a few months at the job, it's like metaphorically speaking, you start to see the "wall paper" come off - co-workers start warning you about things, then the boss reveals his true colors as someone who's crazy and bigoted and yells a lot and is on an emotional roller coaster and tries to send others on them just because he experiences them about things. Then you get told that no matter how hard you work, you aren't working hard enough, and the boss illustrates his point by pointing to one or two so-called "perfect employees" in management, and those "perfect employees" hardly work at all, and spend their time giving the boss compliments, and saying bad things about the people who work the hardest.

Shadow Wolf

I'm neurodivergent, so you'd think that'd factor more into whether people hire me, but I seem to repeat a different problem all the time... I'll get a job, get trained by a main boss, the boss will act somewhat fondly of me, or never really get mad at me, then as I spend a few months at the job, it's like metaphorically speaking, you start to see the "wall paper" come off - co-workers start warning you about things, then the boss reveals his true colors as someone who's crazy and bigoted and yells a lot and is on an emotional roller coaster and tries to send others on them just because he experiences them about things. Then you get told that no matter how hard you work, you aren't working hard enough, and the boss illustrates his point by pointing to one or two so-called "perfect employees" in management, and those "perfect employees" hardly work at all, and spend their time giving the boss compliments, and saying bad things about the people who work the hardest.
No one has ever said I don't work hard enough. I have butt heads with VPs on down, but it's never cost me my job because my coworkers and other managers will vouch for me.
But that requires getting hired, which is among the most difficult things for me. Evem precalc was a mind numbing, boring snooze compared to getting hired.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No one has ever said I don't work hard enough. I have butt heads with VPs on down, but it's never cost me my job because my coworkers and other managers will vouch for me.
But that requires getting hired, which is among the most difficult things for me. Evem lrecalc was a mind numbing, boring snooze compared to getting hired.

Yeah, I don't know then. I had thought you had mentioned art at one point, and something I noticed is if a person can do concept art, there seems to be some demand for it in a freelancing sense, and even places like Fiverr, which tend to pay the least, might pay pretty good for it if you can bring enough people wanting it (which usually might mean rising to top 10-100 spot in searches). Usually one has to start off selling their work cheaper on such platforms to get reviews and traffic on their page, but if I recall (I need to check again to make sure), some commissioned pieces seem to sell in the hundreds of dollars before the platform takes their slight cut.

Just an idea, though.

Shadow Wolf

Yeah, I don't know then. I had thought you had mentioned art at one point, and something I noticed is if a person can do concept art, there seems to be some demand for it in a freelancing sense, and even places like Fiverr, which tend to pay the least, might pay pretty good for it if you can bring enough people wanting it (which usually might mean rising to top 10-100 spot in searches). Usually one has to start off selling their work cheaper on such platforms to get reviews and traffic on their page, but if I recall (I need to check again to make sure), some commissioned pieces seem to sell in the hundreds of dollars before the platform takes their slight cut.

Just an idea, though.
Yeah. I'm hoping to get a graphic design thing going. The hard part will be the marketing and advertising thing. Shouldn't be too hard ti make a website, as I imagine it's mostly GUI anyways unless you want to code it. And get incorporated and get agreements or whatever to get buttons/stickers/shirts/whatever printed and shipped.
And repairing mostly video game consoles and controllers. My goal there is to eventually design my own line of controllers that are as close to the original as possible but with better quality buttons and hardware.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yeah. I'm hoping to get a graphic design thing going. The hard part will be the marketing and advertising thing. Shouldn't be too hard ti make a website, as I imagine it's mostly GUI anyways unless you want to code it.

Seems pretty easy these days. If you try to code / put together a website, and it seems hard, I'd maybe look at different software, because in this age where we are probably a few years off from clicking a few buttons in a generator and generating a fully programmed and customized video game with graphics via AI - in my opinion, building websites should be pretty easy these days.

Speaking of AI, another thing you can do if you get stuck, is just ask the AI to generate pieces of code for the website. AI doesn't always co-operate when you ask it to, so sometimes you have to ask it a few times for something, or ask it to revise something, but just an idea. I still recommend a basic understanding of whatever you're asking it to do, but assuming AI doesn't get a lot more stupid, I agree with some others who claim that it can steal a lot of programmer jobs in the near future.

I've asked AI to do basic programming and it did it, before. I also asked it to debug and rewrite an AI script I had for an obscure programming language. It "kind of" wrote things right, but also created a bit of a mess. Though I was told you can have better results if you integrate it into the IDE, rather than just taking the script and feeding it to the separate AI program like I did.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a bet, you see. I'm not sure which side wins with your head exploding, but I suspect we'll learn at some point.
In terms of relationships and taking artistic departure from original stories I think that Apple's Foundation series has him outdone. This season is even more different from the books than the first season. Major character names are preserved though, and we are weaving the same story but as it were in a parallel universe. It continues to be cinematically beautiful and probably would look great in a theater.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In terms of relationships and taking artistic departure from original stories I think that Apple's Foundation series has him outdone. This season is even more different from the books than the first season. Major character names are preserved though, and we are weaving the same story but as it were in a parallel universe. It continues to be cinematically beautiful and probably would look great in a theater.
As a non-Apple subscriber that series is not in my universe.

Shadow Wolf

Seems pretty easy these days. If you try to code / put together a website, and it seems hard, I'd maybe look at different software, because in this age where we are probably a few years off from clicking a few buttons in a generator and generating a fully programmed and customized video game with graphics via AI - in my opinion, building websites should be pretty easy these days.
It'll be GUI as much as I can. For what's not I'm not trying to get artsy with the website, so anything I might have to program a quick web search should yield an abundance of results of codes used thousands of times.
I have an idea that would be better for a webstore practice, but it's gonna take at least a few hundred to acquire inventory and storage.
I figure you shouldn't put all your gambling money into one hand of poker, so I won't for getting my own income sans-job. Bare bones I have everything I need for the graphics art except a scanner, most tools for repairing consoles and controllers (just need a very hot soldering iron for the console boards, one that gets hot enough for controllers that apparently give many problems but not hot enough for something like a PS4). Amd I can do that whatever shipping store thingy they call it and sell video game stuff without handling the merchandise.
But the other one, selling specific art supplies, that's gonna take awhile to stock up an inventory because it's gonna take at least a few hundred. But to my absolute best knowledge no one else does this so hopefully it'll take off. It's just that nasty getting started thing with the advertising amd getting started.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As a non-Apple subscriber that series is not in my universe.
There is no customer loyalty, nor have streaming services given us any foundation for such. I subscribe long enough to catch up on things and then leave. Streaming services call this 'Churn'. For a while they ignored churn, then acted surprised about it when investors began to rationally worry about it. I am sure that very soon churn will not be possible, so I suggest taking advantage of it while you can.

Prices are low, and material is plentiful. The library is open. Tomorrow it may close.

Shadow Wolf

There is no customer loyalty, nor have streaming services given us any foundation for such. I subscribe long enough to catch up on things and then leave. Streaming services call this 'Churn'. For a while they ignored churn, then acted surprised about it when investors began to rationally worry about it. I am sure that very soon churn will not be possible, so I suggest taking advantage of it while you can.

Prices are low, and material is plentiful. The library is open. Tomorrow it may close.
Sucks for me because they've replaced renting movies. I've never had a consistent subscription, juat when I want to see this or catch up on that. And instead of the weekend I get it for a month.
But, of course, leave it to investors too mess things up and drive up piracy limit consumer choices.

Shadow Wolf

Well **** me, I just suddenly realize as I put down the phone and pick up my pencil, I still HAVE to do my taxes. That holding off until my shoulder was better thing never happened and the extended deadline is rapidly approaching.