• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croak

Trickster
note that they only suck dirty blood :)

in another thread you say you want to be an animal. which one? you know you can be anything in your dreams ;)

i've been man :p not that i want to

How do I wash my blood then? :(

And I am an animal. Isn't it obvious? A raven, to be precise. What did you think I was?

A male .lava... interesting.

croak

Trickster
Can you hear them buzzing round the room?
On occasion. With the laptop on, it's not as easy, but I hear them when they go by my ears, sure.

Was that a flying ant or a really weird kind of mosquito just now... not to mention it was crawling... probably a flying ant.

On occasion. With the laptop on, it's not as easy, but I hear them when they go by my ears, sure.

Was that a flying ant or a really weird kind of mosquito just now... not to mention it was crawling... probably a flying ant.

Boy mosquito's are all buzz and no bite so if you can hear them your in no immediate danger of exsanguination ;)

mosquito_animated.gif

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just because something is fair trade, doesn't mean anything. Research it.
That's pretty much what my friend who visited Guatemala (on a mission, unfortunately) told me: fair trade affects how much the buyers pay the farm owners. It doesn't affect how much the farm owner pays the labourers.

I'm not really sure how to identify coffee that is grown using fair labour practices, though. No label means nothing... apparently "fair trade" means nothing. Is there anything that actually means something?

I had a ladybug visit my computer last night. It would fly toward the fan, get blown away, and then come back and do it again.

That's pretty much what my friend who visited Guatemala (on a mission, unfortunately) told me: fair trade affects how much the buyers pay the farm owners. It doesn't affect how much the farm owner pays the labourers

What has this got to do with Starbucks? If they are paying a fair price and the farmer is exploiting their workers, it is the farmer and the local government that is at fault. You can't expect companies to police the world, they have done what was their responsibility to do.

I'm not really sure how to identify coffee that is grown using fair labour practices, though. No label means nothing... apparently "fair trade" means nothing. Is there anything that actually means some
thing?

If you are looking for coffee where the workers are being paid well, have healthcare, bank holidays off and are not working 10+ hour days, I doubt you will find it, even Oxfam's coffee is geared towards helping the farmers, not the pickers. A 10+ hour day is not unusual for farmers everywhere, and it's not unusual for fruit pickers to be exploited everywhere, including the UK, Ireland, Europe and the US.

croak

Trickster
Boy mosquito's are all buzz and no bite so if you can hear them your in no immediate danger of exsanguination ;)

mosquito_animated.gif
Trust me, all the ones in the room are female. And they do buzz. And bite. ._.

I had a ladybug visit my computer last night. It would fly toward the fan, get blown away, and then come back and do it again.
When I had the fan on to blow mosquitoes away, it was great. Mosquitoes were either blown away or dismembered. You'd be surprised how many body parts there were.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What has this got to do with Starbucks? If they are paying a fair price and the farmer is exploiting their workers, it is the farmer and the local government that is at fault. You can't expect companies to police the world, they have done what was their responsibility to do.
I'm not talking about any sort of duty on Starbucks' part to police the world; I'm talking about information that will allow me to know what I'm getting when I buy coffee. It'd probably influence my purchase decisions, and Starbucks can either choose to cater to my tastes or not; it's up to them.

... though really, I don't go to Starbucks often enough for them to go out of their way to cater to me.

If you are looking for coffee where the workers are being paid well, have healthcare, bank holidays off and are not working 10+ hour days, I doubt you will find it, even Oxfam's coffee is geared towards helping the farmers, not the pickers. A 10+ hour day is not unusual for farmers everywhere, and it's not unusual for fruit pickers to be exploited everywhere, including the UK, Ireland, Europe and the US.
Good point. But right now, I apparently don't even have a way to tell whether pickers are paid more than destitution-level wages or have to deal with dangerously unsafe working conditions.

croak

Trickster
Genius, it was. Turn off the light when I leave the room; when I come back, the mosquitoes may have decided to descend. Killed quite a few. So I repeated it: left the room to get some nuts. I come back, don't see any flying around. Look up at the ceiling. Holy... are they zombie mosquitoes or something? WHERE are they all coming from? There are at least ten on the ceiling alone. Should I just break out the insecticide?

I'm not talking about any sort of duty on Starbucks' part to police the world; I'm talking about information that will allow me to know what I'm getting when I buy coffee. It'd probably influence my purchase decisions, and Starbucks can either choose to cater to my tastes or not; it's up to them.

... though really, I don't go to Starbucks often enough for them to go out of their way to cater to me.

Good point. But right now, I apparently don't even have a way to tell whether pickers are paid more than destitution-level wages or have to deal with dangerously unsafe working conditions.

I don't want to give the impression I don't hate starbucks, because I kind of do, just not for ethical reasons, simply because I think paying €5 for a cup of coffee that isn't as nice as coffee I can make myself for .12c is ridiculous.

If Nerthus had said I don't drink coffee because it's unethically sourced I wouldn't have even responded, but it's so freakin' trendy to single out Starbucks for this when it is a global constant.

I know for a fact that people in Ireland and the UK are forced into working under unsafe conditions and have working weeks that can be up to twice the national legal limit, on farms, building sites and in factories. There are different standards for the rich and poor and the educated and uneducated even within our own countries.

.lava

Veteran Member
Genius, it was. Turn off the light when I leave the room; when I come back, the mosquitoes may have decided to descend. Killed quite a few. So I repeated it: left the room to get some nuts. I come back, don't see any flying around. Look up at the ceiling. Holy... are they zombie mosquitoes or something? WHERE are they all coming from? There are at least ten on the ceiling alone. Should I just break out the insecticide?

did someone say 'nuts'?

hahaha
nutter saturation O_O

ever considered mosquito net?

Nerthus

Wanderlust
If Nerthus had said I don't drink coffee because it's unethically sourced I wouldn't have even responded, but it's so freakin' trendy to single out Starbucks for this when it is a global constant.

I mentioned Starbucks because that's what was being talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.