• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The reason why Christianity is so popular.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Conservapedia has this to say:
Conversions to Christianity (from any faith or lack thereof) outnumber those to Islam, but cannot keep up with the birthrate discrepancy.

emiliano

Conservapedia has this to say:
Conversions to Christianity (from any faith or lack thereof) outnumber those to Islam, but cannot keep up with the birthrate discrepancy.

That is one of the reasons, there are others though: they encourage big families, while the West direct resources to finance the abortion movement. Another is that they do not tolerated the immoralities that we do in the West. The fight in the West is been fought in too many fronts.

Luminous

non-existential luminary

That is one of the reasons, there are others though: they encourage big families, while the West direct resources to finance the abortion movement. Another is that they do not tolerated the immoralities that we do in the West. The fight in the West is been fought in too many fronts.
Yes, Big families and then the radicals go to western Countries to Purify them. I think Christians should do the same. big families and then settle in Muslim lands and cry for unrepresiveness and purification. though i would much rather prefer people kept their children agnostic as God made them.

ranjana

i thought christianity is so popular because it began as a religion for the poor, the sick, the oppressed. it gave them hope that they were loved, they were saved, and that the meek would inherit the earth. that is why it spread like wildfire amongst the poor underclass of the Roman Empire.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

Christianity is so popular because you only have to go to Church once a week on Sundays instead of 5 times a day.:D

emiliano

Yes, Big families and then the radicals go to western Countries to Purify them. I think Christians should do the same. big families and then settle in Muslim lands and cry for unrepresiveness and purification. though i would much rather prefer people kept their children agnostic as God made them.

It seems to me that the definition of Agnosticism contradict your statement “though i would much rather prefer people kept their children agnostic as God made them” because humans have always been religious, which leads me to believe that human were not created agnostic, even the Atheist have thoughts about God, in every human life there is the question. Is there a God? How are people going to keep them agnostic? They will inevitably ask the question, that the way we were all created.

emiliano

i thought christianity is so popular because it began as a religion for the poor, the sick, the oppressed. it gave them hope that they were loved, they were saved, and that the meek would inherit the earth. that is why it spread like wildfire amongst the poor underclass of the Roman Empire.

That is a good answer, but I would add that this is the universal truth and the reason for it expansion onto all nations. What is the universal desire that we all have? If you find what will satisfy these desires you are converted.

emiliano

We will have to start by stoping murdering our own, those that are not given a chance to do anything cause they are murdered before they are born

DarkSun

:eltiT
It seems to me that the definition of Agnosticism contradict your statement “though i would much rather prefer people kept their children agnostic as God made them” because humans have always been religious, which leads me to believe that human were not created agnostic, even the Atheist have thoughts about God, in every human life there is the question. Is there a God? How are people going to keep them agnostic? They will inevitably ask the question, that the way we were all created.

Actually, while I do believe in God myself, I think you will find that most people are born agnostic. I only say that because no person has any predetermined knowledge of the world around them when they are born; and all we have are our survival instincts and some aspects of our natures. Concepts that lie much deeper beneath the surface are learned from family, friends and members of your community as you grow older.

It's like brushing your teeth, really. You have no concept that it is healthy unless you've been indoctrinated into believing so. Alternatively, you could have learned from a few trips to the dentist that not brushing your teeth is bad.

Belief in God is similar. You don't have it right after birth. You don't have any preconception of God after birth. It's learned.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

While there is something to that, since such a bizarre associations does indeed attract people who want to commit violence and feel justified while so doing, it is not a very good explanation.

For one thing, it applies perhaps better to Islam. The Crusades were a very long and confused affair, but I don't see that it would motivate Muslims much too differently than it would Christians. Of course, neither do you claim otherwise. I just wanted to mention this.

Still, I think the true reason is more wide in scope. In its current form, Christianity is a religion that draws upon fairly universal needs for authority and rulings, while at the same time not really demanding much knowledge or dedication to include one among its ranks (Christianity makes a point of encouraging people of uncertain allegiance to try and stay with it for the time being).

I actually think this is something of a subversion of religion's role in society, albeit a numerically very succesful subversion.

logician

While there is something to that, since such a bizarre associations does indeed attract people who want to commit violence and feel justified while so doing, it is not a very good explanation.

For one thing, it applies perhaps better to Islam. The Crusades were a very long and confused affair, but I don't see that it would motivate Muslims much too differently than it would Christians. Of course, neither do you claim otherwise. I just wanted to mention this.

Still, I think the true reason is more wide in scope. In its current form, Christianity is a religion that draws upon fairly universal needs for authority and rulings, while at the same time not really demanding much knowledge or dedication to include one among its ranks (Christianity makes a point of encouraging people of uncertain allegiance to try and stay with it for the time being).

I actually think this is something of a subversion of religion's role in society, albeit a numerically very succesful subversion.

Good post. I would estimate that at least 50 percent of people that call themselves Christian have never read the Christiam bible, and 90 to 95 percent have never seriously studied the Christian bible. Really, all that's required to say you're a Christian is to affirm faith in Jesus Christ, and little else.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
NO, that is not true. some Native Americans and other spiritualist religions had no concept of "God the creator". And pagans never asked "is there a God?". The consepst of Pagans comes down to them trying to explain the world without science and other prerequisits and having to us logic to make up mythical controlers. then from the Pagans and their bestgod polorization a man came to the idea that only one God, probably from Hindus with their monotheistic interpretation of their polytheism. then Zoroaster made his "perhaps" religion using logic and astronomical spiritualsim influences. then Jews were all like " we want to only worship Sun God YHWH, and everyone else in the world has no God ; for he is the only God. and he is jealous of all the other Gods."

Heneni

Miss Independent
Christianity is popular because most people believe that it gives them the right to be obnoxious and still be forgiven. They also believe that god is a genie in a bottle, and if they rub him hard enough they will get whatever they want.

True christianity should infact not be very popular.

The bible never indicates that christians will be popular.

'You will be hated for My name's sake'
'They will persecute you'
'They hate you because they hated me first'

heneni

gnomon

Oh look at you. Sounding reasonable.

You're supposed to say it's popular because it ripped babies from their mother's arms and forced dogma down their throats under the boot of a soldier.

But good for someone for not trotting out the same ol' tired crap.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Christianity is popular because most people believe that it gives them the right to be obnoxious and still be forgiven. They also believe that god is a genie in a bottle, and if they rub him hard enough they will get whatever they want.

heneni
Well, if you keep cherry picking in THAT way then you'll never be an unpersecuted Christian. Hey... let me cherry pick the way others do. that verse does not mean that Christianity wont be popular, just means that there will always be one God hating atheist out there. ;). Ofcourse to me the Bible(all versions) and all "holy books" are just worthless idols so...
Edit: oh, wait "they". Ok -TWO God hating atheists. :D

Last edited:

DarkSun

heneni

Not all Christians are like that, just as not all Muslims, Hindus or atheists are like that. Tarring all people with the one brush is the worst form of prejudice.

emiliano

Actually, while I do believe in God myself, I think you will find that most people are born agnostic. I only say that because no person has any predetermined knowledge of the world around them when they are born; and all we have are our survival instincts and some aspects of our natures. Concepts that lie much deeper beneath the surface are learned from family, friends and members of your community as you grow older.

It's like brushing your teeth, really. You have no concept that it is healthy unless you've been indoctrinated into believing so. Alternatively, you could have learned from a few trips to the dentist that not brushing your teeth is bad.

Belief in God is similar. You don't have it right after birth. You don't have any preconception of God after birth. It's learned.

But we are social creatures, to remain agnostic would require absolute isolation which in our species is impossible. It would even require isolation from the environment, and a complete absence of rationality. That’s is why humans have religions, they rational beings.

DarkSun

But we are social creatures, to remain agnostic would require absolute isolation which in our species is impossible. It would even require isolation from the environment, and a complete absence of rationality. That’s is why humans have religions, they rational beings.

Actually, if belief is something that is learned, then this is not true. To remain agnostic you would have to be isolated from community members who do believe in Him. Alternatively, an individual would have to be given no reason from birth onward to believe that a God does exist, or, a person would have to have experienced nothing to lead them away from agnosticism. Someone would not have to be completely devoid of reason to show disbelief; instead, they would have to be devoid of reasons to offer their belief.

And personally, I don't think that rationality and belief are completely the same thing. If something can be one-hundred percent proven through reason, then it isn't really belief, is it? It's more of an undeniable fact. I personally believe in God because I have experienced certain things which have lead me to do so, but otherwise I would have remained agnostic.

Last edited:

jacobweymouth

Not the crusades. That's one of the hardest things we've had to live down.

The Holy Spirt, perhaps. Political expediency, perhaps.