• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The reason why Christianity is so popular.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know I didn't become a Christian because I thought that if I didn't, I would be killed and/or tortured. ;)

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Do you have the figures for the amount of Christians in the world before and after the crusades? If not then maybe you should go in search of some evidence before you sling accusations at Christianity which doubtless you do not understand.

Do you know that Christians were killed by crusaders? Do you know that Christianity spread whilst being under fierce persecution from the government and still does so in countries that follow this practice? Does that suggest to you that the message of the gospel is powerful enough to spread without the use of violence?

What the crusaders did they did in spite of the teachings and example of Jesus Christ not because of them and if Jesus had taught us to spread the truth with violence I would never have followed Him.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

Of all the things you could have picked to explain the popularity of christianity, I find it funny that you picked this. :shrug:

Christianity is popular I think because of one of a few things,

Appeal to guilt
Conformity
Tradition
The Appeal of unconditional Love
or, Fear

Some of or all of the above

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
When Christianity came to the forefront there was no choice. It was die a Pagan or become a Christian. Romans, the most powerful people in the world spread their message of love via hate. Explains a lot doesn't it :) Maybe that why it was so easy to justify killing muslims in Jerusalem and around there, even though muslims allowed Christians free passage into the city.

logician

Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

You have a point, more importantly, the "Literalist" wing of Christianity did its best to wipe out all competing cults of Christianity(spiritual only). It worked big time - just look at the apostles creed, which is recited by most Christians every Sunday.

Kcnorwood

Christianty is popular because people are led to believe that everyone should go to church & fall in line with what others believe. I'm not saying that everyone who goes to church is a Christian, however people do tend to fall in line with whatever the tend is. Sheep.

Elessar

You have a point, more importantly, the "Literalist" wing of Christianity did its best to wipe out all competing cults of Christianity(spiritual only). It worked big time - just look at the apostles creed, which is recited by most Christians every Sunday.

It's not literalism vs. spiritualism, it's a question of hierarchy. Those who accepted a hierarchy survived. Those who did not, by and large, did not - a few did, but we are no longer "Christians". Thus, Catholic-Orthodoxy, which is the root of all Christianity today.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'll have to disagree. Europe was already filled with Christians during the time of the Crusades (or there wouldn't have been a Crusades to begin with.) and when immigrants came to America, there were some Christian ones that came along.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Agree or Disagree?
its not. 87% percent of christian children are leaving the faith. at least in US of America. i'm sure the Vatican is the only christian place in Europe by now.

Last edited:

Elessar

its not. 87% percent of christian children are leaving the faith. at least in US of America. i'm sure the Vatican is the only christian place in Europe by now.

I'd really like to see a source for this. I mean, last I checked, 79% of Americans identified as Christians, and I'm pretty darn sure that includes young people...

jhod

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

To my knowledge, true Christianity is the only religious view that provides the opportunity for an individual to have a real, tangible proof of God - that He exists and that He is acting in the life of that individual. If you genuinely repent, are baptised in full immersion, you will receive the Holy Spirit, and you will know it has happened because you will start speaking in a language you've never learnt before. This is what happened at Pentecost, and all through the Bible, and it still works the same today.

Is there any other belief system whereby it is offered 'if you do a) and b) then c) will happen', where c) is a tangible, spiritual experience?

Unfortunately, the vast majority of 'christians' don't even know this proof is available, so as to why they believe in God above any other 'god', i have no idea.