• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The reason why Christianity is so popular.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I'd really like to see a source for this. I mean, last I checked, 79% of Americans identified as Christians, and I'm pretty darn sure that includes young people...
fine, just check out homeschoolingtoday.com its somewhere in there since they were ones who said the figure while i was watchin angle t.v. ;)
though i guess it could just be more false christian propaganda.:p

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Edit: for a minute there i thought your name was "jihad". :eek:
To my knowledge, true Christianity is the only religious view that provides the opportunity for an individual to have a real, tangible proof of God - that He exists and that He is acting in the life of that individual. If you genuinely repent, are baptised in full immersion, you will receive the Holy Spirit, and you will know it has happened because you will start speaking in a language you've never learnt before. This is what happened at Pentecost, and all through the Bible, and it still works the same today.
;): i heard you also have to twirl in circles and sing the hoky poky
:jiggy::adf asdfjhasoef asldf asdfoasf alshdfaosehfas ldfhasdofhweofhasldf jasodfhwldfksdofhsoefhawoefhsldfj dfoae osdf owh foasdf woefh soduifhaoe asdf howdfh.
:D: Yeah i just had the Holy spirit in me!
Is there any other belief system whereby it is offered 'if you do a) and b) then c) will happen', where c) is a tangible, spiritual experience?
FSM?!:fsm:
Unfortunately, the vast majority of 'christians' don't even know this proof is available, so as to why they believe in God above any other 'god', i have no idea.
Me::thud: YouTube - An Atheist Meets God

Unfortunately, the vast majority of 'christians' don't even know this proof is available, so as to why they believe in God above any other 'god', i have no idea.
Possible Answer: :preach:

Last edited:

jhod

Thanks, how insightful!
Try googling 'Glossolalia university pennsylvania' (since i can't post links!).
the bible is very specific about tongues, what it means, what it's for and how it should be used - you can't believe everything you see on Borat!

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Thanks, how insightful!
Try googling 'Glossolalia university pennsylvania' (since i can't post links!).
the bible is very specific about tongues, what it means, what it's for and how it should be used - you can't believe everything you see on Borat!
Why can't i google: "Roman Catholic Church" or "Mormons" or "Eastern Orthodox Church" Why is your version and interpretation of Christianity correct?

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

To my knowledge, true Christianity is the only religious view that provides the opportunity for an individual to have a real, tangible proof of God - that He exists and that He is acting in the life of that individual. If you genuinely repent, are baptised in full immersion, you will receive the Holy Spirit, and you will know it has happened because you will start speaking in a language you've never learnt before. This is what happened at Pentecost, and all through the Bible, and it still works the same today.

Is there any other belief system whereby it is offered 'if you do a) and b) then c) will happen', where c) is a tangible, spiritual experience?

There is no religion in the entire world known to man that offers any sort of proof(let alone tangible) as to the existence of any of the gods. This is the reason for faith.

There are, however, many religions in which it's followers may get an experience, feeling, vision, etc that will convince the believer but can never be presented to others as proof. This is what we call Unverified Personal Gnosis(UPG). I'm sure each religion, especially the mainstream ones, can present many instances of UPG from it's followers. However, anecdotal evidence should never be taken as concrete proof of a diety's existence.

As to your question: Is there any other belief system whereby it is offered 'if you do a) and b) then c) will happen', where c) is a tangible, spiritual experience?

Yes.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

This was really not the place to start that battle...

Elessar

fine, just check out homeschoolingtoday.com its somewhere in there since they were ones who said the figure while i was watchin angle t.v. ;)
though i guess it could just be more false christian propaganda.:p

Can't find any existent "homeschoolingtoday.com". But, if my suspicions are correct, the website or whoever you were citing was a small evangelical or exclusivist version of Christianity which considers their own children leaving their denomination for other forms of Christianity to be "leaving the Christian faith." Then, those numbers would be realistic.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Can't find any existent "homeschoolingtoday.com". But, if my suspicions are correct, the website or whoever you were citing was a small evangelical or exclusivist version of Christianity which considers their own children leaving their denomination for other forms of Christianity to be "leaving the Christian faith." Then, those numbers would be realistic.
i guess that's true. let me find the site for you.
oops, its-homeschooltoday ; no "ing"

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

I have seen Anubis standing in a room with me. I have felt energy being channeled and spent during my rituals. I have felt the energies of others, and siphoned them into me. I have also seen and read their auras. I have conjured spirits and have had conversations with them.

rojse

RF Addict
What do you mean? god loves to kill people he did it all the time he even wiped out practically all life on earth.
Not to mention he watched his son tortured and murdered. Im pretty sure he like it.

Only if you read the bible in a literal sense.

J-Train

Only if you read the bible in a literal sense.

what other way are you suppose to read the bible.
and your answer to my question should come from a view that god is real whether you believe it or not.
its just for arguments sake

A

angellous_evangellous

Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

Well, that's the reason many of us are Christians.

Every time I go to church, the preacher says, "Hey losers, remember in the Dark Ages when they had those dad-burned Crusades? That was fun!"

Yeeee-haw

crystalonyx

It's not literalism vs. spiritualism, it's a question of hierarchy. Those who accepted a hierarchy survived. Those who did not, by and large, did not - a few did, but we are no longer "Christians". Thus, Catholic-Orthodoxy, which is the root of all Christianity today.

Back in ther early days of Christianity it certainly was the literalists againsts the Gnotists, many despised the fact that the literalists were insisting that Jesus was a real person instead of a spiritual being.

Elessar

Back in ther early days of Christianity it certainly was the literalists againsts the Gnotists, many despised the fact that the literalists were insisting that Jesus was a real person instead of a spiritual being.

There was a question of gnosticism vs. literalism, yes, but then, there was the question of the validity of St. Paul, the question of messianic divinity, the question of the meaning of messianic deity, the trinitarian question, and so on. There were so many questions, that none of them, specifically, were the "Question" that caused modern Christianity. The "Question" was - do you accept the validity of the Five Patriarchs (Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem) as the leaders of the Faith, and do you accept the authority of the Roman Emperor, and his Councils, to decide doctrine for the Faith.

If yes, then you were okay. If no, then you were a heretic. It's really that simple. Gnostics, Arians, nontrinitarians, and Messianists outside the rite of St. Paul were all, alike, oppressed and suppressed by the Empire and by the Catholic-Orthodox Church because they refused to accept Imperial authority to decide doctrine. But even those who agreed, doctrinally, in every way, except in Imperial authority to decide doctrine, were suppressed.

The dominance of Catholic-Orthodoxy and it's derivatives (Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Protestantism) is because of this.

crystalonyx

There was a question of gnosticism vs. literalism, yes, but then, there was the question of the validity of St. Paul, the question of messianic divinity, the question of the meaning of messianic deity, the trinitarian question, and so on. There were so many questions, that none of them, specifically, were the "Question" that caused modern Christianity. The "Question" was - do you accept the validity of the Five Patriarchs (Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem) as the leaders of the Faith, and do you accept the authority of the Roman Emperor, and his Councils, to decide doctrine for the Faith.

If yes, then you were okay. If no, then you were a heretic. It's really that simple. Gnostics, Arians, nontrinitarians, and Messianists outside the rite of St. Paul were all, alike, oppressed and suppressed by the Empire and by the Catholic-Orthodox Church because they refused to accept Imperial authority to decide doctrine. But even those who agreed, doctrinally, in every way, except in Imperial authority to decide doctrine, were suppressed.

The dominance of Catholic-Orthodoxy and it's derivatives (Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Protestantism) is because of this.

This was much later on, during and after the Council of Nicea by Roman emporer Constantine.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Christianity is popular, because in the old days, Christian couples had many babies? :D

Having children is one good way to spread your faith. The more you have, the higher the number of children who won't leave your faith.
(Off-topic- I wonder which Christian denomination has the highest percentage of children who leave the Christian faith).