• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Revealed Revelations of God

lunamoth

Will to love
The Quran, revealed to Muhammad by the angel Gabriel around 622 CE.

The Torah, revealed to Moses and other prophets and writers through direct communication with, or inspiration from, God.

The Bible (New Testament), revealed to the Gospel writers and through letters inspired by, or through communication with God.

Seven Valleys, the Four Valleys, Hidden Words and the Book of Certitude, revealed to Mirza Husayn-'Ali-i-Nuri (Baha'u'llah) through Godly inspiration.

The Book of Mormon, revealed to Joseph Smith by the Angel Moroni.

The Vedas, original authors unknown. Inspired by God.

Not to mention the many other supernaturally inspired revelations that have kick started the various world religions and faith practices.

A common theme among the revelations is God revealing him/her/itself to man. An explanation of life and the rules for living as set forth by God.
Amazingly, God allows interpretations by man to result in many sects deriving from one revelation. And contradictions between the supposed revelations themselves. Not to mention the many Godly inspired "truths' found everyday by religious leaders.
Of the many revelations, which one is a true revelation from God? Why would that one true revelation not be made to many? Or all?
What are the criteria for establishing that a revelation is truly from God?

I think God is revealed in all of these sacred writings. Different times and cultures may hear the word of God in various ways, but there is a golden thread that runs though most scripture: Love God and Love each other.

God4me

God4me
The Quran, revealed to Muhammad by the angel Gabriel around 622 CE.

The Torah, revealed to Moses and other prophets and writers through direct communication with, or inspiration from, God.

The Bible (New Testament), revealed to the Gospel writers and through letters inspired by, or through communication with God.

Seven Valleys, the Four Valleys, Hidden Words and the Book of Certitude, revealed to Mirza Husayn-'Ali-i-Nuri (Baha'u'llah) through Godly inspiration.

The Book of Mormon, revealed to Joseph Smith by the Angel Moroni.

The Vedas, original authors unknown. Inspired by God.

Not to mention the many other supernaturally inspired revelations that have kick started the various world religions and faith practices.

A common theme among the revelations is God revealing him/her/itself to man. An explanation of life and the rules for living as set forth by God.
Amazingly, God allows interpretations by man to result in many sects deriving from one revelation. And contradictions between the supposed revelations themselves. Not to mention the many Godly inspired "truths' found everyday by religious leaders.
Of the many revelations, which one is a true revelation from God? Why would that one true revelation not be made to many? Or all?

So you are saying that God keeps changing His mind,
Sure, Ther is some truth in these riligious groups, But not the main doctrines.
There is only one gospel, There is only one way to God, "Through Jesus", Anything that contradicts the truth isn't from God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So you are saying that God keeps changing His mind,
Sure, Ther is some truth in these riligious groups, But not the main doctrines.
There is only one gospel, There is only one way to God, "Through Jesus", Anything that contradicts the truth isn't from God.

Why is that? What is it about the Bible that makes it the absolute truth?
What made you believe that the Bible was the truth, and all others are not from God?

I think God is revealed in all of these sacred writings. Different times and cultures may hear the word of God in various ways, but there is a golden thread that runs though most scripture: Love God and Love each other.

I agree with your statement as modified.

I think [a people's conception of a god] is revealed in all of these sacred writings. Different times and cultures may [develop a conception of a god or gods] in various ways, but there is a golden thread that runs though most scripture: Love [a concept of god or gods] and Love each other.

Just_me_Mike

Chance...
roll_the_dice.png

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I don't think God would have it any other way, because it then puts the human in control and not God.
Unfortunately, gambling is not about controlling the outcome. If what you say is true, then many are putting their money on the wrong spin of the wheel. I would hope that human life would have more value than that.

Just_me_Mike

Unfortunately, gambling is not about controlling the outcome. If what you say is true, then many are putting their money on the wrong spin of the wheel. I would hope that human life would have more value than that.
I didn't say gambling, I said chance. The difference is gambling seems to invoke a win or take all cowboy concept, and chance well, it is a serious risk if one is wrong, but can be done with humbleness and devotion.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe they're the same thing.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Chance, such as a game of Russian Roulette. As I said, I would hope the value of human life would be more...

Just_me_Mike

Chance, such as a game of Russian Roulette. As I said, I would hope the value of human life would be more...
Why? Aren't humans the same as the ants we crush under our feet everyday? I think maybe it is our perception of suffering and the actual value of our life that is flawed.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Why? Aren't humans the same as the ants we crush under our feet everyday? I think maybe it is our perception of suffering and the actual value of our life that is flawed.
So you would compare the Sacrifice of Jesus to a man choosing to give his life to save a few ants. Interesting theology.

Just_me_Mike

So you would compare the Sacrifice of Jesus to a man choosing to give his life to save a few ants. Interesting theology.
Sure, it is you who is placing an unnecessary value on human life.
It pleased God to send his son to do that. As a result, lucky people will be chosen, but that is besides the point.
Which is why we find language in the bible that God creates some for destruction and others for pleasure.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Sure, it is you who is placing an unnecessary value on human life.
It pleased God to send his son to do that. As a result, lucky people will be chosen, but that is besides the point.
Which is why we find language in the bible that God creates some for destruction and others for pleasure.

And if you have chosen the wrong revelation?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think people sometimes get glimpses of ultimate reality. These are inexpressible, and all else is interpretation.

Of the many revelations, which one is a true revelation from God?
Maybe all, maybe none. The only way to know for sure is to sit down and talk with the person who had it, and even then it's just an educated guess.

Why would that one true revelation not be made to many? Or all?
Because it's not about God handing down edicts from on high. It's about shifting one's perspective.

It's more of an intuitive art than a science, with no guarantee of accuracy.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think people sometimes get glimpses of ultimate reality. These are inexpressible, and all else is interpretation.

Maybe all, maybe none. The only way to know for sure is to sit down and talk with the person who had it, and even then it's just an educated guess.

Because it's not about God handing down edicts from on high. It's about shifting one's perspective.

It's more of an intuitive art than a science, with no guarantee of accuracy.
Are you thinking more of personal revelations, or those supposedly meant for the masses?