• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Muffled

Jesus in me
But you still have to try.

Faith without works is useless.

I think Paul understood that, but for Paul he needed faith to be the end all be all. He had done so much wrong to Christians in his mind and whatever his affliction was that he felt there was no way that he could actually be redeemed for them. So faith makes sense, because there what you did in the past "doesn't matter" because you believe.

I wonder though if he ever asked for forgiveness from the Christians or if he just focused on doing works (as he did by spreading the word).

I believe all I need to do is get out of the way so Jesus can do His thing. It is about as mindless as breathing. I never try unless God wishes for that to happen.

The works proceed from Jesus. I simply have faith that He will do the right thing because He is good.

This is what Paul said: Eph 2:8 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not of works, that no man should glory.

Paul recognizes that his course and ministry is God's work: Acts 20:24 But I hold not my life of any account as dear unto myself, so that I may accomplish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The Jewish paradigm is quite different as it never was assumed we could be perfect and, therefore, there are provisions supplied by Torah and Tanakh dealing with God's willingness to forgive us even without the Temple.
Yes the Jews used animals as a sacrifice for sin. They were told to by God. This is going to get a little complex so hang on.

In the garden when Adam and Eve sinned the first thing God did to start the process of fixing this was slaughter two animals and place the skins on them. All covenants, and all profound dispensations, and changes come sealed in blood. God had decided that blood was to be what washed away sin. Our aversion to blood has nothing to do with the way God sees things and I will soon why. God used blood even though we think it grotesque for a good reason. I will just give a list of things involved here with blood atonement in somewhat Chronological order.

1. God saved man though bold in the Garden (not soul salvation but physical salvation).
2. God's justice meant their immediate destruction but sealed them in blood because blood is the means by which God would save mankind. I know this sounds a little morbid so far but it will eventually pan out a salvation model so sophisticated no man could have ever thought it up.
3. That use of blood in the Garden was no accident, next it was to be the blood of PERFECT Lambs etc... offered by the high priest that was to push sin forward, not forgive it. That was the system the Hebrews lived under or part of it.
4. The other part was their faith in a future Messiah who would actually forgive all the sins that the blood of animals pushed forward year to year. They like Christians were saved by faith in the messiah. For them it was a future messiah, for us it was a past messiah. The problem is that they killed the messiah and claimed he was not him after all. That is the only place we split.
5. Also note that is was the blood of perfect lambs put on door posts that separated those that would be killed from those that would not be in Egypt. It is the blood and only the blood (not ethnicity, not sinless-ness, not good works) that separate those whom God spares from those that are not.
6. Also notice the first covenant (OT) was born in blood when Abraham sacrificed the ram (that God had provided: note that) instead of his son. That was intended to say two things. A. Do not practice child sacrifice as most others did and B. That God and God alone would provide the sacrifice.
7. This type of thing is called a type and shadow. OT events are types of later real events. They are shadows of later real provisions.
8. This theme continues in the NT is that the new covenant was establish by blood. Not just any blood but Christ's blood. The take this in remembrance of me verses are about Christ's blood being the true blood of covenants.
9. It was not blood God rally cared about from animals or Christ. The blood was only the chosen method of provision. Probably chosen because by being crucified (the actual reason we may be saved) came with bloodshed. Just like the lambs and Rams Christ was perfect.
10. So salvation's details were always known but were maintained and brought for with countless men over several centuries not even living in similar cultures to a poetic and exhaustive conclusion with Christ. Who unlike the high priests of Israel had to offer the blood of animals year by year, Christ offered his true blood once and for all.

This is the most perfect plan of redemption known and what Christ taught. Other (non-Biblical prophets) taught other methods but when God raised Jesus from the dead he put his stamp of approval on what Jesus taught. I could have written a chapter for every point I made and still not have exhaustive the intricacies and interconnection of the development of God salvation plan as it came into place over time to it's climax with the greatest being to ever walk the Earth and the one more associated with perfection and love than any other. Just on its face claims like we must all be good, just, sinless, agree to intellectual propositions, or say incantations and perform ceremonies just seem all to stupidly human. However it is much worse in that they are impossible. Merit based salvation is not possible.

Thanks, but as I say above, I don't agree with those theological constructs.
I am not sure to which ones you are referring. Are you saying your misunderstanding of Jewish salvation models are nor agreeable to you?

Why operate out of an either/or paradigm? Might it not be possible that different religions may contain some truths? And does any one religion really contain all the truths?
It is certainly possible but it is highly inconsistent with benevolence. Could you trust a God that told the Jews to kill Christ, told the apostles he was the messiah, told Islam he was a prophet but never died on a cross nor forgave anyone, and told Hindus he was simply a good teacher. That God is insane at best and downright evil at worst. Most theological textual claims mutually exclusive and therefore can't more than one of them be right, not to mention you have no way to know which nor which parts of which. Truth is exclusive, so should God's word be. There are an almost infinite number of wrong answers for every right one.

Because I'm an anthropologist now retired, I have studied the world's major religions and a great many smaller ones, and I simply find no room for the "my way or the highway" type of approach.
On what basis is there no room for that? Many of the texts themselves say they are exclusive.

Makes not one iota of sense to me.
It makes perfect sense to me and 2 billion other Christians. It makes perfect sense to another 1.6 billion Muslim that Muhammad gave the only correct path. In fact I would say 2/3 of the Earth population holds exclusive views. If you want I will give you links to the greatest philosophers still alive where you can see the philosophical reasons suggesting exclusivity and the lack of reason suggesting plurality. If you want plurality try Hinduism. They have between one and 330 million God's. I have never met two Hindus who had the same number.

I consider the above to be both arrogant and highly judgmental. I have not attacked your religion but somehow you feel free to attack others. There are a great many Christians who have found some wisdom in the eastern religions, and vise-versa.
What I said was neither. I have no idea what your religion is. Using invalid methodology invariably results in errors in results. It is like a person who is a politically Liberal whether the candidate is right or wrong. When there is a wrong candidate (and most are on the left) that person preference has forced him to defend the indefensible. Your aversion to exclusivity has more than likely forced you to exclude the truth (truth is almost always exclusive) and you left defending the indefensible.

I didn't know there was some contest here. The idea that the "Bible wins again" is just so short sighted.
There is a contest of idea here. That is what a debate is. I said that on both my argument and using your standards you get the Bible as the mostly likely answer. You may not prefer that but it is logically derived from my arguments and your universalism standard.

FYI, I taught Christian theology to adults for 14 years and comparative religions for an additional two years, so I know exactly where you're coming from and why. So far, there is not one single item that you've mentioned that I haven't run across many times before.
What qualified you to teach a subject that begins with an experience you did not have? A physicist could explain 2 dimensional elastic collisions, or I as a person with a math degree could explain trajectories of a 1 ounce 30MM Bofors slug but no one could know what getting hit by Tyson or shot from a A10 would feel like nor even if they existed. However the most ignorant man who ever lived if hit be either would know very very well they exist. My argument rests in application, experience, and provision not in academic description.

Because I am not anti-Christian, so if your believe helps you be a better person, I'm all for that being an approach that helps you. OTOH, if one uses their religious beliefs to bash others, then I have a rather serious problem with that. who said not to judge others, nor with Paul who said he was not even willing to judge himself.
I did not say it made me a better person. If you assumed a person became better by being a Christian is that not enough reason alone to be one. I do not bash believes I bash what I perceive as untruths or irrational claims. I have no idea what religion you are so I do not know what your defending. I am not prevented but demanded to judge theological claims. Even that judgment verse is misunderstood apparently by your application. Every single character in the Bible judged. There are too many subjects here so I will not get into that verse but it is widely misunderstood.

Since it is quite clear that we are never going to agree on even the most basic items, and since it appears you have no intention of trying to be even slightly objective, I prefer to call an end to my part of this discussion.
Please put bail outs up front to save my effort in the future. Selah,

I gave you a very very easy way to show your position correct. Yet you did not even attempt to construct even a bad hypothetical merit based salvation model as proof one could ever be constructed.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I hear that sometimes, but it's usually not so blatant. At virtually all the funerals I attend, the speaker declares his happiness that the deceased, though his faith in Jesus Christ, is assured his spot in heaven.

They're not telling me that i'm headed for hell, but the implication is sure there.:)
I do not remember ever telling anyone they are going to hell outside of sarcasm nor ever heard it done. However would you prefer no one tell you smoking, polio, and cancer is bad? They say the worst possible child abuse is to not teach them right from wrong and the consequences.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Interestingly enough several people were judged by God in the OT to be blameless (noah, job, abraham). It would imply that the perfection that God expects from us is not the same perfection we attribute to God.

Which is funny because one of the first thing Noah (called perfect in some translations/blameless in others), does is getting hammered and passed out.
I think blames is a bad translation. It should have been righteous. Righteous applies right standing with God not perfection or blamelessness. It is deserved or un merited legal approval. Abraham was said to be righteous based on faith alone.

AmbiguousGuy

I do not remember ever telling anyone they are going to hell outside of sarcasm nor ever heard it done. However would you prefer no one tell you smoking, polio, and cancer is bad? They say the worst possible child abuse is to not teach them right from wrong and the consequences.

It's why I try to pry you from your certainty. The same reason I warn teenagers about smoking and cancer. God tells me that ambiguity, the absence of certainty, is the future. He could be putting me on, but I have to go with what He says. We mustn't deny the Holy Spirit.

But I appreciate you warning me about hell. I'm afraid that I consider it like being warned that the voodoo doctor is going to get me, but it's nice that you care enough to warn me.

Pann

then you missed the point, which is that God doesnt care what song and dance you put on for him, God just wants your love

1robin

Christian/Baptist
then you missed the point, which is that God doesnt care what song and dance you put on for him, God just wants your love
That is not what all Big three faiths claim. How much love? Of what type? If I love God can I kill everyone else? Emotional or in action? What standard can be used to know if I am doing enough? What if I love totally for the last 49% of my life only? These ambiguous standards only serve to justify what someone wishes to do.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
It's why I try to pry you from your certainty. The same reason I warn teenagers about smoking and cancer. God tells me that ambiguity, the absence of certainty, is the future. He could be putting me on, but I have to go with what He says. We mustn't deny the Holy Spirit.

Ambiguousness: Polio is bad or maybe good, whichever.
Cancer, some don't like others might, who cares.
Smoking makes you look cool but it stains everything.
Nicotine is addictive but it makes you feel good.

Verses God's clarity.

Polio is bad.
Cancer is bad.
Smoking is bad.

I fail to see any advantage in what you promote. Truth is exclusive not ambiguous.

But I appreciate you warning me about hell. I'm afraid that I consider it like being warned that the voodoo doctor is going to get me, but it's nice that you care enough to warn me.
I didn't warn you. Any warning you received was from your conscience or the Holy Spirit.

Come on, what are you doing here? There is no way you are going to convince me that even you think these arguments are meaningful.

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

The practice of something has no capacity to make what is practiced right or true.

Right. And the belief in something has no capacity to make it true.

So why are you always claiming that there are millions of Christians but very few followers of AmbiguousGuy?

What's that got to do with God's Truth?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Right. And the belief in something has no capacity to make it true.
Agreed.

So why are you always claiming that there are millions of Christians but very few followers of AmbiguousGuy?
As a way of gauging the worth of your text among a wide audience. Numbers are never proof of fact. They are however in absence of proof part of the puzzle that builds a probabilistic argument for worth, accuracy, logic, rationality. Without having a way to know you examine what evidence is consistent with what. The fact almost every believes 2 + 2 =4 does not make it true but if you did not know it was true it is part of a good case to base faith upon. Virtually all historical, legal, and theological arguments are settled by probability not proof. Faith is making the best conclusion for incomplete data.

What's that got to do with God's Truth?
That statement was perfectly valid in response to the claim it addressed. I do not know what purpose your putting it to. His standard for truth was choice and practice and that is wrong.

AmbiguousGuy

I fail to see any advantage in what you promote.

Of course. Since you fail to see what I promote, how could you see the advantage in what I promote?

I didn't warn you. Any warning you received was from your conscience or the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit has warned me that 1robin is spreading nonsensical theology on the forum and that I should counter it with Actual Truth!

Come on, what are you doing here? There is no way you are going to convince me that even you think these arguments are meaningful.

Sometimes as I wander through life, I come upon old timepieces, watches, whose parts are rusted tight, almost fused.

See me as oil. That might help you understand.

Yep, what do you think of 'The Oil of God' as one of my many honorifics? I like it better than 'The Lamb of God' or even 'The Lion of Judah.'

AmbiguousGuy

As a way of gauging the worth of your text among a wide audience. Numbers are never proof of fact. They are however in absence of proof part of the puzzle that builds a probabilistic argument for worth, accuracy, logic, rationality.

I see. So the number of believers doesn't have anything to do with a thing's truth, except that the number of believers argues for a thing's truth.

That doesn't surprise me at all... that you would argue in such a way. I've known you for a good while now.

The fact almost every believes 2 + 2 =4 does not make it true but if you did not know it was true it is part of a good case to base faith upon.

Sorry, but I must insist upon modern American English.

Virtually all historical, legal, and theological arguments are settled by probability not proof.

Such arguments are never settled by wise people.

Faith is making the best conclusion for incomplete data.

So when we get to the edge, we must leap?

Nah.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Of course. Since you fail to see what I promote, how could you see the advantage in what I promote?
Firstly and most important even after requests you have never even attempted to provide any evidence to suggest that anything you have is from God. Secondly I do not think you have any organized body of work of any kind. Third I think you are here for entertainment alone but do not get what you find entertaining about it.

The Holy Spirit has warned me that 1robin is spreading nonsensical theology on the forum and that I should counter it with Actual Truth!
I will grant the former if you provide an original and theological example with proof of the latter.

Sometimes as I wander through life, I come upon old timepieces, watches, whose parts are rusted tight, almost fused.

See me as oil. That might help you understand.

Yep, what do you think of 'The Oil of God' as one of my many honorifics? I like it better than 'The Lamb of God' or even 'The Lion of Judah.'
I do not think anything about any of this. Your one unique little fellow are you not?

AmbiguousGuy

Firstly and most important even after requests you have never even attempted to provide any evidence to suggest that anything you have is from God.

Those who have ears, they will hear. Others will harden their hearts against the Word of God. It's just the way these things work. I hope you have holy ears, 1robin, because I like you.

Secondly I do not think you have any organized body of work of any kind.

Well, neither does Christianity, so....

Third I think you are here for entertainment alone but do not get what you find entertaining about it.

I'm here to help oil your parts. Or, failing that, to announce the correct time for our audience.

I will grant the former if you provide an original and theological example with proof of the latter.

Proof that I deliver the Actual Truth? Oh my.

Some have ears to hear. Some harden their hearts. There's really not much else I can say about that.

I do not think anything about any of this.

It's OK. Maybe some of the lurkers are tracking it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Those who have ears, they will hear. Others will harden their hearts against the Word of God. It's just the way these things work. I hope you have holy ears, 1robin, because I like you.
I like you as well but judging as of late I have troubling seeing why.

Well, neither does Christianity, so....

1. So you are admitting you have no organized body of work. That would still be true whether you comparison was accurate or not.
2. Christianity has the most well known organization of texts ever known.

So you have none and Christianity has the most well established.
Kind of what I have been saying all along.

I'm here to help oil your parts. Or, failing that, to announce the correct time for our audience.
What the heck? What audience? Audience for what?

Proof that I deliver the Actual Truth? Oh my.

Some have ears to hear. Some harden their hearts. There's really not much else I can say about that.
You could have just said you could not do so. It would have avoided all of whatever this was.

It's OK. Maybe some of the lurkers are tracking it.
Doubt it. I am almost out of time thanks for wasting much of it. Just kidding as that is why I do this. It is just usually wasted with more justification than with you today.

AmbiguousGuy

1. So you are admitting you have no organized body of work. That would still be true whether you comparison was accurate or not.

God doesn't like His Word too organized. It makes for rigidity of thought and theology. Our parts might get rusty and frozen in place.

Christianity has the most well known organization of texts ever known.

Oops!!

So you have none and Christianity has the most well established.
Kind of what I have been saying all along.

I'm glad you recognize the frozen state of your theology. It is the first step.

What the heck? What audience? Audience for what?

Don't let it worry you. It's esoteric and all.