• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Flat Earth Kyle

Both are based on faith,anyone can claim to be a prophet,the part lacking is proving they are IMO

I think Christ described how to know a true prophet from a false prophet quite clearly. "By there fruits shall ye know them."

Matthew 7:16-19
"15¶Beware of afalse prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening dwolves.

16Ye shall aknow them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good afruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

If you understand that, excellent, if not I can explain it to you.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think Christ described how to know a true prophet from a false prophet quite clearly. "By there fruits shall ye know them."

Matthew 7:16-19
"15¶Beware of afalse prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening dwolves.

16Ye shall aknow them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good afruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

If you understand that, excellent, if not I can explain it to you.

The fruits so far are the Abrahmic religions which i personally don't see a lot of good fruit or otherwise.

AmbiguousGuy

Even if we accept Jesus as an expert on prophets, which I personally see no reason to do, how do we judge which fruit is good and which is bad?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes, but to my knowledge, not quite in the same way that Christians consider themselves in a personal relationship with God. "Personal" has different meanings, if I remember correctly, but I could be remembering wrong. Christians mean the kind of personal relationship where people tend to influence each other, share their thoughts and feelings, and engage in activities together. Is this the same as what Muslims believe?

It's the kind of thing Gaudiya Vaishnavas have with Krishna.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes, but to my knowledge, not quite in the same way that Christians consider themselves in a personal relationship with God. "Personal" has different meanings, if I remember correctly, but I could be remembering wrong. Christians mean the kind of personal relationship where people tend to influence each other, share their thoughts and feelings, and engage in activities together. Is this the same as what Muslims believe?

I can't answer for Muslims, but I'm sure there are many non-Christians that would also describe their relationship with their deity as a relationship. I'm not really trying to find fault with that description, don't misunderstand me -- I'm just finding fault with the idea that calling it a relationship makes it different in some way from having a religion.

This is what I'm talking about when I say religion, from a bing.com search:

bing said:
re·li·gion [ ri líjjən ]
  1. beliefs and worship: people's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life
  2. system: an institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine
  3. personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by
It appears to me that you have beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of Jesus; as well as beliefs and opinions about God/Jesus's involvement in the universe and human life: fulfilling (1).

It appears to me that you probably have at least a personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine: fulfilling (2).

It appears to me that you probably have a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes based on the above beliefs and opinions that you live by: fulfilling (3).

Even if you consider it a relationship, it's still a religion by the definition of the word. Now, I get that maybe you disagree with the institutionalization of religion or something like that; but it's still a religion even if it's personal. "Religion" isn't a dirty word.

It's sort of like a worldview. Everyone has a worldview, even atheists*. You just happen to have a religious worldview.

(* -- there is no atheist worldview, but atheists do have worldviews.)

pwfaith said:
It depends. You do understand I do not believe God will be torturing anyone, right? Just want to make that clear before we begin. Hell is a place of complete and total separation from God. It was originally created for Satan and the fallen angels, not people. We see it as a consequence [result or effect of an action or condition] of rejecting God's offer of salvation, through Christ. So basically people torture themselves. And yes, I think it's horrid and it completely breaks my heart to think of anyone having to endure that for eternity :(

Hmm, well, I don't want to steer you off topic too far, but I'm curious about this. Do you believe that atheists suffer in Hell? For instance, is it a place of fire and pain and gnashing of teeth, etc.? If so, how can you possibly call that a "choice" -- who would choose such a thing?

I'm an atheist, but I'm open to the idea of a god existing. I just haven't seen evidence that would convince me to believe that as true. Would I suffer eternally if I died tomorrow in ignorance? If so, then that seems a little monstrous to me that any god would allow that. Imagine if you had a hypothetical child that never saw you its entire life; a child whose only crime is failing to know that you exist: would you stand idly by and let that child suffer and call it a "choice?"

If God is omniscient and omnipotent, then God should know that I'm not against His existence -- I just don't believe things without justification. It'd be a little less cruel if upon my death He shows up and says, "Well, here's the answer you were looking for: I do in fact exist. Now, do you want to be with me or not?" That I could understand, because that's giving me an informed choice. I would most certainly choose "yes, I'll be with you now that I know you exist."

But according to some Christian beliefs, it doesn't work that way -- I would be damned for merely being ignorant. Doesn't that seem horribly wrong to you?

crocusj

If God is omniscient and omnipotent, then God should know that I'm not against His existence -- I just don't believe things without justification. It'd be a little less cruel if upon my death He shows up and says, "Well, here's the answer you were looking for: I do in fact exist. Now, do you want to be with me or not?" That I could understand, because that's giving me an informed choice. I would most certainly choose "yes, I'll be with you now that I know you exist."
So you would choose to be with him as opposed to be removed from him merely by dint of his existence? What about all the evil? God does not necessarily mean good god.

there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

I believe the "right path" is the one that is best for you. I chose my path because I believe in a continuation of my existence; a continuation that extends beyond this life, into eternity. And of course, with eternal continuation, comes eternal increase.

crocusj

Assuming that it is a good god, of course.
And if bad (by our criteria) we can reject Him and be removed from something we don't like or want. So Hell is only hell for those who have believed and want God but are rejected by Him. Pascal gave us a bum steer...

pwfaith

Hmm, well, I don't want to steer you off topic too far, but I'm curious about this. Do you believe that atheists suffer in Hell? For instance, is it a place of fire and pain and gnashing of teeth, etc.? If so, how can you possibly call that a "choice" -- who would choose such a thing?

I honestly do not know if it will be a place of literal fire, but I do believe there will be pain, great pain. As I said earlier, I believe it to be a place of separation from God. In my beliefs all that is good in our world comes from God. So if God is completely and totally removed from there, there will be absolutely no good, no beauty, no happiness, no joy, nothing that we would even remotely consider to be good. I think we only get a mere glimpse of what a world like that would be when we see all the evil in this world, there would simply be nothing to balance that evil, nothing to give hope. It would just be completely absent of good.

Good defined in the dictionary:
morally excellent; virtuous; righteous
satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree
right; proper; fit
well-behaved
None of this will exist there, and everything that comes with all of this being absent will result.

I ask myself that all the time, who would want a world like that, but people don't often look at it this way. I don't think people choose this, they simply do not choose what will keep them from this. Hell is a consequence. A consequence is the effect, result or outcome of something occurring earlier - or in this case the effect/result of not accepting something given to us freely. So in a way it's not a choice to it, it's the result of a choice of not accepting the way out of it. Does that make sense? :) (at least from my pov)

I'm an atheist, but I'm open to the idea of a god existing. I just haven't seen evidence that would convince me to believe that as true. Would I suffer eternally if I died tomorrow in ignorance?
Unfortunately, yes I believe you would :( But I do not believe anyone is ignorant. I am sure, there have been people here who have attempted to provide you evidence of God's existence, which you have not accepted. So you are not ignorant. Scripture says people will be held responsible for the truths they have been told, not for their understanding of the truths. Obviously to us - God being real, loving you and me, us sinning and not being righteous in God's sight, Jesus living a sinless life, dying on the cross for our sins and resurrecting are all considered 'truths'. We are responsible for accepting these truths or denying them, not whether or not we understand them completely. I read a quote once that I liked, that said "we don't have to be 100% correct in our theology, only 100% in our faith in Christ". I believe this to be true. Faith in Christ, imo, comes from accepting our own faults/sins/failures and accepting Christ as the only way to make them right. One either believes this to be true, or they do not. The consequence for accepting it to be true is eternity with God, denying it to be true is eternity without God.

If so, then that seems a little monstrous to me that any god would allow that. Imagine if you had a hypothetical child that never saw you its entire life; a child whose only crime is failing to know that you exist: would you stand idly by and let that child suffer and call it a "choice?"
I understand how you are looking at it. This is how I see it. God cannot look upon anything that is not righteous. We are all unrighteous b/c we have all sinned. However when we accept the payment Jesus made for us, then God sees us as righteous. God cannot allow anything that is unholy or unrighteous to enter heaven. It would corrupt the perfect holy heavenly realms. So the only way one can enter is if they are considered righteous in the eyes of God and the only way to do that is to live a completely sinfree life, which none of us can do, or accept the payment Christ made.

I don't see it as the child never having seen you though. This would be my hypothetical. I have a child that was adopted out by someone who was not very nice. They won't let me have complete access to them and they tell them lies about me but b/c I love my child SO much I want them to know that I DO love them and I AM here and want desperately to be with them. So I do what I can to show them - I send them flowers, I give them gifts, I try to talk to them, but their adoptive parents keep telling them the flowers aren't from me, they came from somewhere else, they keep telling them I'm dead or I don't care about them. Something inside them wonders if this is true or not. What happens next is different for each "child". I would do everything in my power, but none of this will matter if they just don't believe me. What happens when I even show them the birth certificate and they just tell me they think it's a fake? What do I do? They're an adult, I can't force them to come with me and be my child or love me. I will never give up trying but won't it always still be their choice of what to believe about me? Are they ignorant, are they deceived, are they rebellious? I don't think there is one across-the-board answer b/c every individual is different. Do they have to understand everything first or just believe me in order for a relationship to begin being built?

Romans 1:20-22(The Message)
But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse. What happened was this: People knew God perfectly well, but when they didn't treat him like God, refusing to worship him, they trivialized themselves into silliness and confusion so that there was neither sense nor direction left in their lives. They pretended to know it all

Same verse in NIV (I like to look at 2 versions at least for a clean understanding)
For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification], Because when they knew and recognized Him as God, they did not honor and glorify Him as God or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and godless in their thinking [with vain imaginings, foolish reasoning, and stupid speculations] and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise.

If God is omniscient and omnipotent, then God should know that I'm not against His existence -- I just don't believe things without justification.

So basically what you are saying is you want God to play by your rules, not the other way around?

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It would just be completely absent of good.

Good defined in the dictionary:
morally excellent; virtuous; righteous
satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree
right; proper; fit
well-behaved
None of this will exist there, and everything that comes with all of this being absent will result.

I'm not sure if I can agree with that. I know a lot of nonbelievers who are morally excellent, virtuous, righteous, satisfatory in quality, quantity, and degree; right, proper, fit, and well-behaved. In what sense would goodness not exist, then, if there are good people in Hell -- and I daresay that I'd count myself as a good person, too?

pwfaith said:
Hell is a consequence. A consequence is the effect, result or outcome of something occurring earlier - or in this case the effect/result of not accepting something given to us freely. So in a way it's not a choice to it, it's the result of a choice of not accepting the way out of it. Does that make sense? :) (at least from my pov)

I understand it from your pov, but I think there are some serious issues with that mode of thinking. My counterpoint is very similar to the one I would offer to your next paragraph, so just see my response below.

pwfaith said:
Unfortunately, yes I believe you would :( But I do not believe anyone is ignorant. I am sure, there have been people here who have attempted to provide you evidence of God's existence, which you have not accepted. So you are not ignorant. Scripture says people will be held responsible for the truths they have been told, not for their understanding of the truths.

Can't you see the dubious unrighteousness of such a system, though? Just because someone reads a book to you and exposes you to a subject, you're forever accountable for having been exposed to it -- even if a good argument wasn't made? God still gets to say "Well, you heard about me, even if a good case wasn't made; and you didn't believe it, so, sorry, you get to go to Hell?"

Please, think of it like this. Most people end up in the same religion they're born around. How is it fair that God will send people to Hell just for being born in India or Pakistan, for instance -- places where most people do not end up as Christians but rather as another religion? Is that righteous on God's part?

Look at it from a person's POV who isn't sure what to believe. 50 different people will approach them in their lifetime and tell them about 50 different religions or variations of religions: I'm sure everyone on this forum has been exposed to Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, Scientology, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, and many more -- it appears that you believe God expects people to listen to the Christians that approach them and single them out as the only correct ones, even though they sound exactly like all the other ones.

Here's an analogy. You wake up with a bomb in your hands. It has 50 buttons on it; all of them look the same to you as far as you can tell. You're surrounded by 50 different people, each of them telling you to press a different button. A note by the bomb says that it's going to explode soon, and that only one of the buttons disarms the bomb -- pressing the wrong button just causes it to explode anyway. None of the people telling you to press their choice of button are making a very good case for why their choice of button is the right one.

Is this a fair situation?

If you agree that it's not a fair situation, then you'll understand why I find your notion of God allowing people to go to Hell through merely being unconvinced by Christian evangelists to be unrighteous, even evil.

pwfaith said:
One either believes this to be true, or they do not. The consequence for accepting it to be true is eternity with God, denying it to be true is eternity without God.

Ok, suppose that I asked you whether or not a 300 km square shaped crater existed on the far side of Pluto; but I don't offer you very good evidence either way. I then tell you that if you make the right choice, I'll give you $1,000,000; but if you make the wrong choice something horrific will happen to you.

Am I offering you a fair choice? Of course not! A loving God wouldn't play such childish games.

A loving God -- a just God -- would give people an informed choice, not some blind guesswork in the dark with eternity as a consequence! If you ask me, it sounds more demonic than God-like to judge people on a choice that isn't well informed -- that's just monstrous, that's totally malevolent and vile.

If you have children, try punishing them for some choice they have to make without knowing why they're making it or how they're supposed to know the right choice: see if you feel like a monster or not after punishing them. I bet you would, and for good reason -- it's a horrible thing to do. So why would God do it?

pwfaith said:
I understand how you are looking at it. This is how I see it. God cannot look upon anything that is not righteous. We are all unrighteous b/c we have all sinned. However when we accept the payment Jesus made for us, then God sees us as righteous. God cannot allow anything that is unholy or unrighteous to enter heaven. It would corrupt the perfect holy heavenly realms. So the only way one can enter is if they are considered righteous in the eyes of God and the only way to do that is to live a completely sinfree life, which none of us can do, or accept the payment Christ made.

Ok, so why not give us good evidence that He exists so we can make an informed choice instead of blindly guessing in the dark -- instead of blindly pressing a button on our bomb with 50 other buttons? As far as I know, maybe Allah exists and Mohammed was his prophet and I'll actually go to Hell for not believing in him. As far as I know, maybe Zeus exists and Jesus doesn't, and I'll go to Hades for not paying my respects to Zues. How am I supposed to pick which -- if any -- religion is right if there is no good evidence for any of them? What kind of sick and perverted monster would punish people eternally for making a wrong choice (or abstaining from a choice) because they don't feel they have enough evidence to make a wise choice?

pwfaith said:
Are they ignorant, are they deceived, are they rebellious? I don't think there is one across-the-board answer b/c every individual is different. Do they have to understand everything first or just believe me in order for a relationship to begin being built?

The point, though, is whether or not you would allow the child to suffer immensely just because they aren't sure whether or not you exist?

Something tells me that you wouldn't. Would you consider a parent who allows their child to suffer horribly just because that child isn't sure the parent exists to be a good person or a bad person?

If you answer "bad person," then why does God get exception to that?

Here's an analogy. Ever seen Honey, I Shrunk The Kids? Let's say that for whatever reason some parents get shrunk such that their kids can't see them, and for the sake of argument we'll say that the kids are taken care of somehow. Let's say that the tiny couple tries to leave little signs here and there, which the kids see, but the kids aren't sure how to interpret them: are they coincidence, are they a message, etc.? The kids ultimately decide they don't have enough evidence to come to a conclusion, so they withhold judgement about whether or not their parents are still around.

Do the parents then say, "Aha, they have made their choice, so be it -- I will now leave forever and leave these kids to starve in my absence?"

What kind of horrible parents would do that?

What kind of horrible God would do that?

pwfaith said:
So basically what you are saying is you want God to play by your rules, not the other way around?

I'm saying is that if God expects people to make blind guesses without good evidence, then that's a totally unreasonable expectation. He might as well stick all of us in front of 3 numbered doors and tell us to pick one (which we get stuck with eternally), and behind two are hell and behind one is heaven. With little information to go off of, we're stuck eternally with our "choice" (it can't really be called a "choice" unless it's an INFORMED choice). That's not fair. That's downright evil. That sounds more demonic than Godly.

connermt

there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

Why does there only have to be "one" right religion? Religion is is set of beliefs in something. Beliefs can exists independent of fact. Therefore, without facts, religion can be of anything or anyone. That said, people have individual needs that are met by (sometimes at least) specific religions. When a person finds a religion that fits those needs, that's the "right" religion for them. That doesn't mean it's the "right" religion for you or me necessarily.

Flat Earth Kyle

The fruits so far are the Abrahmic religions which i personally don't see a lot of good fruit or otherwise.

:sarcastic By the fruits of that (Claimed prophet) you shall know them.
Their fruits are their works. In Joseph Smith's case it was translating the Book of Mormon and restoring Christ's church.
The Book of Mormon has the promise
" 3Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your chearts.

4And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will fmanifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the btruth of all things."

Flat Earth Kyle

Why does there only have to be "one" right religion? Religion is is set of beliefs in something. Beliefs can exists independent of fact. Therefore, without facts, religion can be of anything or anyone. That said, people have individual needs that are met by (sometimes at least) specific religions. When a person finds a religion that fits those needs, that's the "right" religion for them. That doesn't mean it's the "right" religion for you or me necessarily.

In your terminology then the "right religion" isn't the same as the one true religion where everything is fact.

Azekual

Lost
In your terminology then the "right religion" isn't the same as the one true religion where everything is fact.
The problem with finding that religion is that you have no idea at all which one it might be. If we're lucky, it's our own religion. If not, it could be some religion that died out millennia ago because it never got a foot hold.

And if bad (by our criteria) we can reject Him and be removed from something we don't like or want. So Hell is only hell for those who have believed and want God but are rejected by Him. Pascal gave us a bum steer...

I like to think of Hell as a place for anyone who maintains his own slant to define the path to eternal happiness.

Last edited:
I don't believe there are any "right" religions. I believe all religions are man-made. However I believe there are only 2 paths - one is narrow, the other is wide. The only one to eternal joy is the narrow one and can only be walked by having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

I like the quote by the authors of the Left Behind series that says "Religion is man's attempt to reach God, while Jesus is God's attempt to reach man."

Eph 2:19-20
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.

This looks an awful lot like a church to me.

Flat Earth Kyle

The problem with finding that religion is that you have no idea at all which one it might be. If we're lucky, it's our own religion. If not, it could be some religion that died out millennia ago because it never got a foot hold.

Every religion out there has some truth in it, some religions more than others. I believe the honest seeker of truth can be led by God to find it.
*Going back again to the Picture under the sand analogy stated earlier on in this thread* God does not wish for us to remain in darkness.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
:sarcastic By the fruits of that (Claimed prophet) you shall know them.
Their fruits are their works. In Joseph Smith's case it was translating the Book of Mormon and restoring Christ's church.
The Book of Mormon has the promise
" 3Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your chearts.

4And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will fmanifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the btruth of all things."

This requires a lot of faith which you undoubtedly have but i don't believe in the books of the Bible ,book of Mormon or Qur'an because it seems to me that they were authored by Humans,thats MO,thats why when people talk of prophets or messengers of a God its purely faith as to whether you believe it or not because there is no proof,thats why IMO there is no right religion.