• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's not the only thing one can do.

The other thing is to just pick the path you like the best. I like Shaivite Hinduism best, so I'm a Shaivite Hindu. It has its flaws, like all religions, but for me, those flaws do not outweigh its values, as they may for others. I don't want to be an atheist, so I'm not.

A religion that you like best is a purely human religion with human flaws. That is waht Satanists do. They picked their religion because they don't like other religions and because they like free sex and other ego gratifying things.

A religion designated by God does not stroke the ego but it is the right religion for the person for whom He is designating. However God does not require a participation in parts of a religion that are flawed. For instance I can opt out of social/political activities if God is not interested in having me participate even if others in the religion feel obligated.

Muffled

Jesus in me
i don't deny the gospel and torah were revealed by the god, but it's distorted, and also of that distortion it's still able to guide people to islam and i'll show that later

This is a constant error on the part of Muslims. The Bible is not distorted. God would not allow that. All distorted texts (heresies) have fallen out of use. The Bible was never intended to guide anyone to Islam (as a religion). Efforts to force it into that mold are spurious at best.

rsd

ACBSP77
there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

Your question reminds me of something I once read....
“When we are on the material platform, there are different types of religions - Hinduism, Christianity, Mohammedanism, Buddhism, and so on. These are instituted for a particular time, a particular country or a particular person. Consequently there are differences. Christian principles are different from Hindu principles, and Hindu principles are different from Mohammedan and Buddhist principles. These may be considered on the material platform, but when we come to the platform of transcendental devotion service, there are no such considerations. The transcendental service of the Lord is above these principles. The world is anxious for religious unity, and that common platform can be achieved in transcendental devotional service...”

Muffled

Jesus in me
Do you know what circular reasoning is?

Yes and my reasoning is inductive. Although I did express it backwards. The second part implies the first part.

For instance the fact that gravity pulls equally implies that the earth is not square but round. Therefore I can say that the earth is not square because gravity will not allow it to be.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A religion that you like best is a purely human religion with human flaws. That is waht Satanists do. They picked their religion because they don't like other religions and because they like free sex and other ego gratifying things.

A religion designated by God does not stroke the ego but it is the right religion for the person for whom He is designating. However God does not require a participation in parts of a religion that are flawed. For instance I can opt out of social/political activities if God is not interested in having me participate even if others in the religion feel obligated.

I think I should point out that Mother Kali has been with me even before I knew who She was. :yes: I don't like Shaivism for the same reason that Satanists like their religion. Shaivism does not stroke the ego at all; Hinduism in general is about ultimately getting rid of the ego.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm not sure that any religion can be a "right" religion. Anything that relies on faith, anecdote and authority rather than reason alone seems like a bad decision in my opinion. Perhaps it can lead to some good things, but that seems like it's only a happy accident when it does.

pwfaith

there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

I don't believe there are any "right" religions. I believe all religions are man-made. However I believe there are only 2 paths - one is narrow, the other is wide. The only one to eternal joy is the narrow one and can only be walked by having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

I like the quote by the authors of the Left Behind series that says "Religion is man's attempt to reach God, while Jesus is God's attempt to reach man."

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't believe there are any "right" religions. I believe all religions are man-made. However I believe there are only 2 paths - one is narrow, the other is wide. The only one to eternal joy is the narrow one and can only be walked by having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

I like the quote by the authors of the Left Behind series that says "Religion is man's attempt to reach God, while Jesus is God's attempt to reach man."

Surely you understand that belief in Jesus is religious in nature, though? It's something of a cop-out to call a belief, no matter how deeply held, a "relationship." I've never understood the whole "it's a relationship not a religion" thing. That's not true. It's still most definitely a religion, and there's little evidence that there's any sort of "relationship" at all any more than between a child and an invisible friend.

Your belief in Jesus and Jesus's nature as some sort of savior are part of a religion, whether you like to avoid that term or not. It's not fundamentally different from someone else's belief in Mohammed and Mohammed's nature as Allah's prophet, or Buddha and his nature as... well, whatever Buddha's nature is. Your religion isn't so special that you get to call it a "relationship" in some sort of contrast to other peoples' religiosn -- not trying to sound offensive, but the tactic that you're using could be construed as somewhat elitist and exclusive.

Flat Earth Kyle

Born Again Christians believe all religions are man made?

pwfaith

Surely you understand that belief in Jesus is religious in nature, though? It's something of a cop-out to call a belief, no matter how deeply held, a "relationship." I've never understood the whole "it's a relationship not a religion" thing. That's not true. It's still most definitely a religion, and there's little evidence that there's any sort of "relationship" at all any more than between a child and an invisible friend.

Your belief in Jesus and Jesus's nature as some sort of savior are part of a religion, whether you like to avoid that term or not. It's not fundamentally different from someone else's belief in Mohammed and Mohammed's nature as Allah's prophet, or Buddha and his nature as... well, whatever Buddha's nature is. Your religion isn't so special that you get to call it a "relationship" in some sort of contrast to other peoples' religiosn -- not trying to sound offensive, but the tactic that you're using could be construed as somewhat elitist and exclusive.

By the world's definition, yes it is a religion. However I do not live by the world's definition. These are notes I took from a sermon several years ago about the difference between being in a "religion" and being in a "relationship" for me, it is entirely true:

The difference between having a relationship with God and having a "religion".

FREE-DUMB! (WHAT WE DON'T KNOW DOES HURT US)

"We don't defend our freedom aggressively"

When we don't defend our freedom aggressively...we are robbed of 2 precious things...

1. We are robbed of RELATIONSHIP & left with RELIGION
Galatians 5:1-6 (Freedom in Christ) It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

STAND FIRM! it says. In other words, Be aggressive! In those days they believed the only way you could be accepted by God was to obey the law.

Their outward sign of circumcision became "bondage" to them. They became bound to that "outward sign".
Romans 3:19-25a (Righteousness through faith) Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—

Paul is saying that the reason God gave us the law was to show us our problem, not to live it perfectly. Many times people think they are "good enough" b/c they compare themselves to other people. Compared to other PEOPLE they probably are pretty "good". BUT when compared to GOD, no one is "good enough". It says "for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". B/c when we compare ourselves to God, we will ALWAYS "fall short". God gave us the law to show our need, not as a ritual to follow. The people in that day had moved from "relationship" to "religion". Things today aren't all that different, are they?
Philippians 3:4-11 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless. But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

In a Relationship - we have Position - we are adopted into his family, given equality, given mercy, grace and purpose
In Religion - it's about Performance - it is not about position, it's about performance, not about receiving but about achievement, there is no contentment. It is about works, not faith.
The Results - our Identity - in a relationship God defines you; in religion others define you (friends, boss, spouse, etc) In a relationship you strive to please God. in religion you strive to please others.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In a Relationship - you have Freedom & Peace - In the Galatians passage it says "do not be burdened again". You are free to fail when you have a relationship with God. When you are free to fail with God you tend to allow others to be free to fail. When you fail, you have the peace in knowing you are also forgiven by God, in turn you are also more forgiving of others when they fail.
In Religion - you have Frustration & Anxiety - it is never enough. There is always worry about failing or about it not being enough and you tend to look at others that way.
The Result - our Attitude - attitudes are completely different between people who have a relationship with God, compared to those who are in a religion.

In a Relationship - we Obey Because We're Loved
In Religion - we Obey To 'Earn' Love
The Result - our Motivation - when we are in a relationship with God we love b/c we were loved first and love unconditionally. In religion we try to force others to earn our love, we have conditional love.

2. We are robbed of Confidence & Left with Condemnation
Without spiritual freedom, all other freedoms become bondage - an addiction. We can't stand on both - relationship and religion. It has to be one or the other. No one is good enough. When we are bound to our freedoms, they become free-dumbs. We are "dumb" in our identity, attitude and motivation.

Sorry that's kind of lengthy. For me this holds very true and is what I mean when I talk about a difference between being in a "relationship" vs a "religion".

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Sorry that's kind of lengthy. For me this holds very true and is what I mean when I talk about a difference between being in a "relationship" vs a "religion".

No problem about the length, don't worry :)

However, have you considered that many Muslims consider themselves in a relationship with Allah, for instance?

My point is that whether you call it a "relationship" or a "religion," the fact of the matter is still that you're believing something without epistemic justification. It still comes down to having "faith," i.e. operating in the absence of strong evidence. That's unacceptable to me.

I'm glad that you and others have found something that you find acceptable and comforting; but I hope you can understand why I raise my brows at ideas such as rejecting nonbelievers to a place of eternal fiery torment for the simple sake of nonbelief. Do you find the idea of allowing people to be tortured for something so simple as non-belief in Jesus at least a little grotesque?

pwfaith

No problem about the length, don't worry :)

However, have you considered that many Muslims consider themselves in a relationship with Allah, for instance?

Yes, but to my knowledge, not quite in the same way that Christians consider themselves in a personal relationship with God. "Personal" has different meanings, if I remember correctly, but I could be remembering wrong. Christians mean the kind of personal relationship where people tend to influence each other, share their thoughts and feelings, and engage in activities together. Is this the same as what Muslims believe?

Do you find the idea of allowing people to be tortured for something so simple as non-belief in Jesus at least a little grotesque?
It depends. You do understand I do not believe God will be torturing anyone, right? Just want to make that clear before we begin. Hell is a place of complete and total separation from God. It was originally created for Satan and the fallen angels, not people. We see it as a consequence [result or effect of an action or condition] of rejecting God's offer of salvation, through Christ. So basically people torture themselves. And yes, I think it's horrid and it completely breaks my heart to think of anyone having to endure that for eternity :(

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
How do I know that God sends prophets to correct the distortation of his church and His scriptures?
Or How do I know that God both sent and sends prophets?

Both are based on faith,anyone can claim to be a prophet,the part lacking is proving they are IMO