• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Opinion !!!, I support all that write with Biblical support , it is you and the majority of the members that only contribute their opinions without ever any Bible verses.

Because the bible is 100% true and anyone who says otherwise is wrong?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Opinion !!!, I support all that I write with Biblical support , it is you and the majority of the members that only contribute their opinions without ever any Bible verses.
Problem is that your citations come with a whole lot of eisegesis. You've done nothing more that I've seen other than find some passages that support your position.

Falcon

I'm dealing with a person that has gone the same route as Judas and another that makes up ignorant fibs about Christ's Catholic Church.
All that the Catholic Church Teaches is supported by the Holy Bible.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

A parent who holds his disobedient child's hand over a hot stove would be arrested and charged with cruelty in most countries. Men are not as merciful or loving as the true God is.
The teaching that God will torment people eternally in Hell is a slander against the true God. The Bible reveals that there is but one true God (John 17:3). He clearly tells us in his Word that "the wages sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23) He also explains that the dead cannot feel, think, or suffer. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,10) The soul dies when the body dies. (Ezekiel 18:4) This God-dishonoring hellfile doctrine has it's roots in pagan religions and was adopted by apostate "Christianity" in the 2nd century CE forward. It is not supported by the Bible and the true religion does not teach this lie.

I am sorry but you are wrong. Hell is real. You are the one who is quoting pagan doctrine.

AmbiguousGuy

wonder if the holy spirit told those parents god would heal their children by faith...

Probably so. I don't see any way to distinguish a true Holy Spirit from a false one.

there is no difference between this way of thinking and the thinking that justified people flying into buildings.

I agree. But what are you going to do -- concede that the 911 guys were guided by the Holy Spirit, while you have no such spirit guiding you?

our own moral sense will distinguish what is bad behavior done in the name of religion, so what is the point of religion if it can justify just about anything?

I don't see 'religion' as distinguishable from 'non-religion' in most usages. Anyone can justify anything, whether religious or not, especially in the closed privacy of one's own mind. In my view, the only answer is hard debate -- the willingness to put one's beliefs up for examination.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Hi, Meow Mix. Sorry for the delay in answering.

The way you find the one true God is by allowing the Holy Spirit to direct you to the one true God... just like everyone else does.

Ok, how do I do that? How do I know there is a Holy Spirit, anyway?

Gary Ingram

In the back of our minds we feel there must be something after death. A continuance, rising to a new level of understanding as a school child is promoted to a higher grade. Worry not oh ye of little faith, the hand of God (whoever he/she/it is) will guide us all when we cross over after death. We have only begun our journey.

AmbiguousGuy

Ok, how do I do that? How do I know there is a Holy Spirit, anyway?

The same way you know anything. You just know it.

Do you see the nature of knowing differently than that? If so, I'd be curious to hear your comments on it. How do you come to know things?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
The same way you know anything. You just know it.

Do you see the nature of knowing differently than that? If so, I'd be curious to hear your comments on it. How do you come to know things?

I know people exist because they are observable. Is the holy spirit observable? and if it is how can we know that is the holy spirit and not something else?

AmbiguousGuy

I know people exist because they are observable. Is the holy spirit observable? and if it is how can we know that is the holy spirit and not something else?

Hi, Westy. Yes, we seem able to see objects, but some of us see pink unicorns and insist we have knowledge about pink unicorns. These people know pink unicorns just as you know the people around you. Maybe you would argue that they don't really know the pink unicorns, but I would allow them their knowledge. If they claim to know it, I accept that they know it. (I might opine that their knowledge doesn't match exterior reality, of course.)

Anyway, I hear people all the time claiming to know things which are not physically provable. I know that justice was done to Bin Laden. You know that your neighbor hates your dog. People in this thread know the right religion from the wrong one, and Moses knew that God was in the bush rather than a natural gas leak.

The OP of this thread asserts that there must be a 'right religion' and asks how we can come to know it. My simple answer is that we just know what we know. We know the right religion by convincing ourselves that we know it. It's the same way we know the Holy Spirit from a false spirit.

How else do we know things except by convincing ourselves that we know them?