• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
According to Proverbs, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. So what miscreant ever changed his ways without being compelled to do so?

Would Saul still be jailing Christians and having them killed if Jesus had never appeared to him? My guess is that he would.

Is the actual fear of him, as in fear like I fear gang violence?

I doubt it.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Disregard the one who give us life, and breath, and every good thing? Who loved us enough to send his only-begotten son to die so that we may live forever? (Acts 17:25, I John 4:8-10)? The God who provides food, sunshine, rain, and air to breathe? (Acts 14:17) I don't think that is a good idea.

I think you need to read my post in context. Also you'll need to prove that it is God who provides those things

rusra02

Premium Member
I think you need to read my post in context. Also you'll need to prove that it is God who provides those things

"The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called 'faith'."

What sort of proof do you require?

Also, a comment on the quotation above. True faith is neither insane nor ignorant. The Bible urges us to use our power of reason. Nor does the Bible teach that those not meriting life will be tortured forever in hellfire. (Hebrews 11:1, Romans 12:1,
Romans 6:23) Rather, the Bible encourages to to take in accurate knowledge and to make sure of all things. (1 Timothy 2:4, 1 Thessalonians 5:21)
The sort of "faith" mentioned in your quote is not faith, but blind credulity.

9Westy9

Premium Member
What sort of proof do you require?

Any evidence that necessitates God.

Also, a comment on the quotation above. True faith is neither insane nor ignorant. The Bible urges us to use our power of reason. Nor does the Bible teach that those not meriting life will be tortured forever in hellfire. (Hebrews 11:1, Romans 12:1,
Romans 6:23) Rather, the Bible encourages to to take in accurate knowledge and to make sure of all things. (1 Timothy 2:4, 1 Thessalonians 5:21)
The sort of "faith" mentioned in your quote is not faith, but blind credulity.

The thing is one could just trust the bible without reasoning wheras someone who reasons may not trust the bible, yet one goes to heaven and the other goes somewhere less nice. Hebrew 11:1 is nice but assurance in what we can't see is just a guess. I can say that the material world is all there is but it's still guess work. I can have assurance of nothing. Romans 12:1 seems to be implying a giving to god rather than a doing good things type of worship. Romans 6:23 is quite a nice passage but just affirms the quotation I gave. 1 Timothy 2:4 he wants us to be saved and know the truth yet hasn't provided stand out evidence for it, to my knowledge. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 referring to testing prophecies, people have already tested them and each side has an argument.

9Westy9

Premium Member
When I'm on God's side, I can't do bad things. By defintion, everything I do is good.

God save us from those who know themselves to be on God's side.

So you can murder someone and that is good? Messed up morality if you ask me.

rusra02

Premium Member
Any evidence that necessitates God.

The thing is one could just trust the bible without reasoning wheras someone who reasons may not trust the bible, yet one goes to heaven and the other goes somewhere less nice. Hebrew 11:1 is nice but assurance in what we can't see is just a guess. I can say that the material world is all there is but it's still guess work. I can have assurance of nothing. Romans 12:1 seems to be implying a giving to god rather than a doing good things type of worship. Romans 6:23 is quite a nice passage but just affirms the quotation I gave. 1 Timothy 2:4 he wants us to be saved and know the truth yet hasn't provided stand out evidence for it, to my knowledge. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 referring to testing prophecies, people have already tested them and each side has an argument.

Hebrews 11:1 states that "Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities, though not beheld." The Greek word rendered "assured expectation" was commonly used in ancient business papyrii to convey the idea of something that guarantees future possession. (A title deed, for example.)
The Greek word translated "evident demonstration" has the idea of presenting evidence to demonstrate something, especially something contrary to what appears to be the case. Evidence, Assurance, legal guarantee, are all ideas present in Hebrews 11:1. The Bible presents abundant evidence to convince one that what God says is true, and the hope he gives is real and certain. A person who chooses to ignore such evidence cannot please God. (Hebrews 11:6)
A person whose car is reported stolen and who is stopped by the police can prove he is the car's owner by producing the title, and evidence that he is the person listed on the title. The police would not take the driver's word that he is the car's owner, for that would be blind credulity. Rather, based on the evidence presented, the police officer is assured, has convincing evidence of the driver's ownership. That assurance is what real faith is.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend islam abdullah,

the right religion
Sorry you have not visited RF over 2 months now but the question brings about the IDEA that there are WRONG religions.
Religions are paths or ways and they have been proven to enlighten the followers and so all paths or religions are equally RIGHT!

If someone agrees with your question they too should understand this fact mentioned.

Love & rgds

cablescavenger

there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

Some of us come to the conclusion that no religion right, why don't you try atheism? if you don't like it you can always return to the dark side :)

9Westy9

Premium Member
Hebrews 11:1 states that "Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities, though not beheld." The Greek word rendered "assured expectation" was commonly used in ancient business papyrii to convey the idea of something that guarantees future possession. (A title deed, for example.)
The Greek word translated "evident demonstration" has the idea of presenting evidence to demonstrate something, especially something contrary to what appears to be the case. Evidence, Assurance, legal guarantee, are all ideas present in Hebrews 11:1. The Bible presents abundant evidence to convince one that what God says is true, and the hope he gives is real and certain. A person who chooses to ignore such evidence cannot please God. (Hebrews 11:6)
A person whose car is reported stolen and who is stopped by the police can prove he is the car's owner by producing the title, and evidence that he is the person listed on the title. The police would not take the driver's word that he is the car's owner, for that would be blind credulity. Rather, based on the evidence presented, the police officer is assured, has convincing evidence of the driver's ownership. That assurance is what real faith is.

part in bold shows exactly why my quote still stands. There is no abundance of evidence of Gods words. We have several different holy book, some of which contradict, all claiming to be true. Abundance of evidence has just been lost.

Even though documentation can be forged, people can change their appearance any way they like etc. He may be able to say it's most reasonable to accept the person as the car owner but the person may not be.

rusra02

Premium Member
part in bold shows exactly why my quote still stands. There is no abundance of evidence of Gods words. We have several different holy book, some of which contradict, all claiming to be true. Abundance of evidence has just been lost.

Even though documentation can be forged, people can change their appearance any way they like etc. He may be able to say it's most reasonable to accept the person as the car owner but the person may not be.

You apparently don't believe (or haven't investigated) the evidence that the Bible is the Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) That is not proof that there is no evidence. In fact, most people do not examine the evidence, even those who claim to worship the God of the Bible, and so never acquire faith. (2 Thessalonians 3:2)

9Westy9

Premium Member
You apparently don't believe (or haven't investigated) the evidence that the Bible is the Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) That is not proof that there is no evidence. In fact, most people do not examine the evidence, even those who claim to worship the God of the Bible, and so never acquire faith. (2 Thessalonians 3:2)

I'm a disbeliever. I haven't seen any good evidence that the bible is divinely inspired, let alone the true and only divinely inspired book.

AmbiguousGuy

So you can murder someone and that is good?

What do you think the 911 attackers believed about their attack? I'm pretty sure they knew themselves to be doing God's holy work.

Do you think they considered their behavior to be 'bad'?

Messed up morality if you ask me.

Um... yeah.:)

As I said, God save us from those who know themselves to be on God's side.

9Westy9

Premium Member
What do you think the 911 attackers believed about their attack? I'm pretty sure they knew themselves to be doing God's holy work.

Do you think they considered their behavior to be 'bad'?

:yes:

Um... yeah.:)

As I said, God save us from those who know themselves to be on God's side.

which is a morality that essentially says 'I can do whatever I want and God will still save me'

riley2112

What if Jesus came to you, convinced you that he was Jesus, and told you to do something which you felt was 'wrong' -- or which offended the common morality?

Would you do it?
:no: If it was something I felt was wrong I could not do it. And if it was really Jesus he would already know that , wouldn't he.:confused:

The Neo Nerd

I looked them up:

2 Timothy 3:16,17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Thessalonians 3:2

And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith.
How are these proofs or even evidence of god?

Am i supposed to believe them just because they are in a holy book.

If that is the case then i'll have to believe everything in the Jewish, Muslim, Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greco/Roman, Hindu, Buddhist scriptures as well. As they are all holy texts.

You've been on this forum for a while now. You should know that quoting passages from your holy book is a really incompetent argument.

-Q

waitasec

Veteran Member
You apparently don't believe (or haven't investigated) the evidence that the Bible is the Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) That is not proof that there is no evidence.
that isn't evidence it's an unsupported claim...

In fact, most people do not examine the evidence, even those who claim to worship the God of the Bible, and so never acquire faith. (2 Thessalonians 3:2)

interesting how that works...

are you saying that the parents of those poor children who died in oregon, died because of their parents 'lack of faith'?
if anything holding them from their meds was an act of faith,
doesn't the book of james say...'i'll show you my faith by my works'?