• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

The Wizard

I'm assuming the true Creator and Heavens are able to shine through most religions onto a person. So, every religion usually holds a portion of truth and a piece of the larger puzzle. The right path is found from within and by studying whats currently availible... imo.

The Neo Nerd

"Religious education" is not at all the same as Bible knowledge. Most religiouls schools teaching bear little to no resemblance to Bible teachings. So I am not surprised you found such unconvincing.

We did both. One of my favourite subjects was religious education. We learnt about all the world religions and some of the ancient ones. I really love the greco/roman ones. They make no qualms about the anthropomophised nature of their gods.

Question: have you read the Bible to the point that you understand at least it's theme and historical timeline?
Yes after seven years of church and sunday school and 12 years of bible studies at school, i am aware of the major themes.

Which would you like to discuss?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Salvation from what?

Those who follow them.

How do you know you are saved from sin when it only happens when you die.

You are still taking it on faith. Just like every other religion.

Sin.

This is incorrect. I am saved from sin now. When I die my judgement will consist of blessings instead of punishment.

On the contrary. If I make a cake and leave out levening, it will be flat. I don't need faith to see that the cake is flat. If I look for sin in my life that used to be there and it no longer is there, that is reality and I don't need faith to know the difference.

Muffled

Jesus in me
As someone who believes that God is a creation of the human mind, I agree with you. There are as many gods as there are people, and some folks own some pretty nasty ones.

Have you thought about my question? If you and Jesus disagree about some moral act, would you obey Him or would you follow your conscience? I think it's an important question. I'm only pressing it a bit because you said earlier that you are determined to face the questions.

Why would anyone create a god like Yahweh. In a previous life I was a barbarian and loved pillaging, raping and murdering. Yahweh is against all those things. I wouldn't have created a god like that. Ask a homosexual if he would have created a god who made a law against homosexuality. Now the Greeks had a god you could have fun with: Dionysus believed in getting drunk and having free sex.

We did disagree before I was saved but now I agree with Him. Hindsight is 20/20.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Why would anyone create a god like Yahweh. In a previous life I was a barbarian and loved pillaging, raping and murdering. Yahweh is against all those things. I wouldn't have created a god like that. Ask a homosexual if he would have created a god who made a law against homosexuality. Now the Greeks had a god you could have fun with: Dionysus believed in getting drunk and having free sex.

We did disagree before I was saved but now I agree with Him. Hindsight is 20/20.

Control

waitasec

Veteran Member

ahhh no he wasn't...
read numbers 31

you create a god that fits your agenda....
you create a god that justifies bad behavior
you create a god of double standards
you create a god that uses fear to control

The Neo Nerd

Not every religion has a concept of sin. Degrading other religions for not addressing the problem that your religion identifies ignorant or atleast christo-centric.

This is incorrect. I am saved from sin now.

And how is your life different NOW, than if you weren't saved from sin.

When I die my judgement will consist of blessings instead of punishment.
Unless you have even the SLIGHTEST amount of sin on your soul, then god will send you to hell. You really should know the tenets of your religion.

On the contrary. If I make a cake and leave out levening, it will be flat. I don't need faith to see that the cake is flat. If I look for sin in my life that used to be there and it no longer is there, that is reality and I don't need faith to know the difference.
Im sorry you are going to have rewrite this one. It's logically incoherent.

AmbiguousGuy

Why would anyone create a god like Yahweh. In a previous life I was a barbarian and loved pillaging, raping and murdering. Yahweh is against all those things. I wouldn't have created a god like that.
I think Yahweh was created for just that reason -- too much pillaging and raping. Think about Islam. Arabia was a wild place. The culture needed some kind of organization and control, so Muhammed created a God who hated lawlessness. One must submit to the Great Lawmaker.

It was easier back then to use magical thinking, rather than secular law, to control folks. Convince a guy that a spiritual Being is watching him, and you can make that guy behave.

Ask a homosexual if he would have created a god who made a law against homosexuality. Now the Greeks had a god you could have fun with: Dionysus believed in getting drunk and having free sex.
Homosexuals didn't make the God. Anti-homosexuals made the God.

Once Yahweh was made, and everyone began to assume that 'God' was this Being-in-the-Bible, then each individual created his own version of God. Lots of gays today view God as fully supporting homosexuality. Their individual version of God is based on the Biblical Guy, but it is a God unique to the person.

That's how it all seems to me, anyway.

St Giordano Bruno

There are so many of them to confuse the best of us and if only one of them was right then the chances are you have chosen the wrong one.

rusra02

Premium Member
We did both. One of my favourite subjects was religious education. We learnt about all the world religions and some of the ancient ones. I really love the greco/roman ones. They make no qualms about the anthropomophised nature of their gods.

Yes after seven years of church and sunday school and 12 years of bible studies at school, i am aware of the major themes.

Which would you like to discuss?

Sure. what do you think is the Bible's main theme?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There could be many Gods
There could be only one God Creator. (A universe can only be created once)
We are the ones who assign attributes to our gods.
we decide what is sinful or good.
we design our religions
we decide what is necessary for membership.
We write the religious books
we form the dogma.

"So what does God do"
he Created the universe.
He established the rules of how the universe functions.
He kick started evolution in the universe.
He links us to himself with the "spark of life" "our soul"
He has sent "prophets" to guide our morality.
He speaks to us through prayer.
He guides and comforts us through the Holy Spirit.

There is no one true religion
Religion is no more than a path we follow.

Am I biased....? Of course I am ....we all are....

Muffled

Jesus in me
ahhh no he wasn't...
read numbers 31

you create a god that fits your agenda....
you create a god that justifies bad behavior
you create a god of double standards
you create a god that uses fear to control

However that does not reflect God's perect will but simply His permissive will. God permits divorce also but He hates it.

You couldn't be talking to me personally because I never created a god. I only have one agenda and that is to serve the God I know from the Bible.

That isn't my God.

I would not do that. I wish to control my own life and I don't wish to be in fear.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
However that does not reflect God's perect will but simply His permissive will. God permits divorce also but He hates it.

Why? Also If God has a perfect will why would he need a permissive will?

Super Universe

Defender of God
there r many religion in the world, but surly there r only one right religion, but how could we reach the right believe, the right path? :)

Take an ant, a mosquito, a beetle, and a worm, which one is most like a human?

This is, essentially, what you are asking. Each religion is so far from the correct idea of God that it's not even worth worrying about who's more right.

riley2112

Take an ant, a mosquito, a beetle, and a worm, which one is most like a human?

This is, essentially, what you are asking. Each religion is so far from the correct idea of God that it's not even worth worrying about who's more right.
I could not agree with you more. Very well said.:bow:

bigbadgirl

It was always there. Revealed religions never existed until someone decided to reveal them. There cannot be a revealed religion without someone to reveal it. What did people do for religion before the revealed ones came along? They followed the natural one.