• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Except your assertion isn't actually true. Based on individual actual analysis, some are blatantly untrue. Hence why I facetiously asked, what do you mean 'even if'.
But I quoted that part of your statement as a way of condensing your long statement, from which it came, down to the only part worth noting. the idea that 'ONLY one is right OR they are all wrong' is a false dichotomy.
I don't quite get what you are saying. Philisophical logic suggests or states that if two ideologys claim to be absolutly true, but have different claims, then only one or none can be true. Absolute truth is an exclusive claim. If we are asked whether it is hot or cold outside, using 70 degrees as the determining mark, I say its hot and you say it's cold. Well I could be right or you could but we both can't be right. It can't be simultaneously be 80 and 60. In a system with more choices than choosers we all could be wrong. In otherwords the worlds religous systems which make contradictory claims can't produce more than one correct one for a specific claim. This is the simplistic tip of the iceburg so to speak but I hope it is addressing what you were thinking.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I find God to be a sure thing. Religion may change but He does not.

I do to but I add Chrsitianity as his true revelation, however that is a subjective truth or atleast can only be proven to be a subjective one. Since God is objectively unprovable even though it may very well be an objective truth then I could never claim to be able to prove his existance to anyone else.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
So the Son of Sam who was a serial killer, since he was a Jew was probably brought up Jewish (I haven't read all of his bio), traversed into Satanismwhile comitting his murders and into Chrisitanity in Jail, was on the right path for him?
I did not type the quote you attribute to me in that post.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I don't quite get what you are saying. Philisophical logic suggests or states that if two ideologys claim to be absolutly true, but have different claims, then only one or none can be true. Absolute truth is an exclusive claim. If we are asked whether it is hot or cold outside, using 70 degrees as the determining mark, I say its hot and you say it's cold. Well I could be right or you could but we both can't be right. It can't be simultaneously be 80 and 60. In a system with more choices than choosers we all could be wrong. In otherwords the worlds religous systems which make contradictory claims can't produce more than one correct one for a specific claim. This is the simplistic tip of the iceburg so to speak but I hope it is addressing what you were thinking.
Since Christianity makes several such contradictory claims, I guess we know where it sits.
It should never have made the claim to 'absolute truth' as it does. A strategic blunder.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Since Christianity makes several such contradictory claims, I guess we know where it sits.
It should never have made the claim to 'absolute truth' as it does. A strategic blunder.
That would depend on whether there are actual contradictions or just some things that people believe are because they are not very knowledgable about the bible. There are dozens of websites that are dedicated to clearing up what some people think are contradictions.

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
That would depend on whether there are actual contradictions or just some things that people believe are because they are not very knowledgable about the bible. There are dozens of websites that are dedicated to clearing up what some people think are contradictions.

There are dozens more showing the clear contradictions. There are actual contradictions. I guess you never should have added that caveat, should you?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There are dozens more showing the clear contradictions. There are actual contradictions. I guess you never should have added that caveat, should you?
All the ones I have researched can be explained by normal language usage at the time. Cultural factors not explicitly mentioned in the bible. Even a couple that they had traced to a scrible error in that particular bible version. Etc........ If you want lay one out and I will try to find the time to check it out.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
lol, and why should I, you will simply offer some staid apologist excuse, even though the language, context and etc will all be in line. It's not like I haven't done this a thousand times before with folks precisely like you.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
lol, and why should I, you will simply offer some staid apologist excuse, even though the language, context and etc will all be in line. It's not like I haven't done this a thousand times before with folks precisely like you.
Then the whole line of reasoning was a waste of time.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Then the whole line of reasoning was a waste of time.
Of course it's a waste of time. You'll never learn anything.
Im merely amusing myself stirring the glass of paramecium

If I were to ask what you would do if you were shown all the actual errors, or even one, you'd do nothing at all about it; you will cling to your dogma desperately, because to realize it's crap would undo your entire life. You have no honor and would never commit to any actual change in yourself. Im very familiar with your type. I've done this for decades and nothing about this surprises me in the slightest.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Of course it's a waste of time. You'll never learn anything.
Im merely amusing myself stirring the glass of paramecium

If I were to ask what you would do if you were shown all the actual errors, or even one, you'd do nothing at all about it; you will cling to your dogma desperately, because to realize it's crap would undo your entire life. You have no honor and would never commit to any actual change in yourself. Im very familiar with your type. I've done this for decades and nothing about this surprises me in the slightest.

What a diatribe. Between the two of us I am the only one who has a different faith than that which I was born with so I think it's you who retain unchanged the same lack of faith you have always had and the same arrogance that is it's direct result. Apparently you arent as familiar with my type as you think because virtually every claim you made to describe me is completely and pathetically inaccurate.

Im out,

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
What a diatribe. Between the two of us I am the only one who has a different faith than that which I was born with so I think it's you who retain unchanged the same lack of faith you have always had and the same arrogance that is it's direct result. Apparently you arent as familiar with my type as you think because virtually every claim you made to describe me is completely and pathetically inaccurate.

Im out,
That's silly; we are all born atheists, so if you or I have any faith we follow, we're both of a different faith than what we were born with... though, what this designation means in any way to what was being said, only you are aware; to the rest it's another strongly-worded non sequitur that you must somehow feel gives you a one-uppance.

I wish i could have been born Heathen, think of all the wasted years of Christianity I would have saved...

1robin

Christian/Baptist
That's silly; we are all born atheists, so if you or I have any faith we follow, we're both of a different faith than what we were born with... though, what this designation means in any way to what was being said, only you are aware; to the rest it's another strongly-worded non sequitur that you must somehow feel gives you a one-uppance.

I wish i could have been born Heathen, think of all the wasted years of Christianity I would have saved...
I am confused aren't you a non-believer (in Christianity). The statement was meant to counter your rediculous unfounded and unkowable to you position that I am resistant to change or closed minded. My faith showing a change from Gnosticism to Christianity is evidence. Anyway How can you use an intelligent sounding word like Non-Sequitur in the same sentence with one-uppance. You said you had no idea what my statement meant but you are sure it is a non-sequitur. That is such a non-sequitur.

From your last statement are you a former Christian (what a self refuting term that is)?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I am confused aren't you a non-believer (in Christianity). The statement was meant to counter your rediculous unfounded and unkowable to you position that I am resistant to change or closed minded. My faith showing a change from Gnosticism to Christianity is evidence. Anyway How can you use an intelligent sounding word like Non-Sequitur in the same sentence with one-uppance. You said you had no idea what my statement meant but you are sure it is a non-sequitur. That is such a non-sequitur.

From your last statement are you a former Christian (what a self refuting term that is)?
Yes, you are confused.
I am a non-believer in Christianity, having formerly been Christian. I am now a Norse Heathen.
Your counter failed, utterly. And 'one-uppance' was merely a humorous made up phrase. I stated your phrase was non sequitur because it was; it's not that I don't understand it's meaning, I just didn't undrestand why you made it at an inappropriate moment. Much of what you try to say is so confused I have trouble dumbing myself down to understand you. It's like trying to herd cats.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes, you are confused.
I am a non-believer in Christianity, having formerly been Christian. I am now a Norse Heathen.
Your counter failed, utterly. And 'one-uppance' was merely a humorous made up phrase. I stated your phrase was non sequitur because it was; it's not that I don't understand it's meaning, I just didn't undrestand why you made it at an inappropriate moment. Much of what you try to say is so confused I have trouble dumbing myself down to understand you. It's like trying to herd cats.

Your Arrogance is appalling, if it wasn't for your avatar I probably would not discuss anything with you. (just kidding, mostly) What is it that makes you claim to be a former Christian. What made you one in the first place. The former Christian claims are selfcontradictory or at least illogical in my opinion. You mean my point that I had adopted a completely new faith and philosophy was innapropriate to address a claim of closed mindedness, or resistance to change. Christians are some of the most intelligent, curious, and open minded people in the world. If we were not how do you explain our adopting a faith completely different than the one we began life with, as most people don't. Muslims are muslims from day one, and I believe hindus are to. What are some aspects of your religion? I am not being insulting but I took it as possibly humor when I first read it..

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Your Arrogance is appalling, if it wasn't for your avatar I probably would not discuss anything with you. (just kidding, mostly) What is it that makes you claim to be a former Christian. What made you one in the first place. The former Christian claims are selfcontradictory or at least illogical in my opinion. You mean my point that I had adopted a completely new faith and philosophy was innapropriate to address a claim of closed mindedness, or resistance to change. Christians are some of the most intelligent, curious, and open minded people in the world. If we were not how do you explain our adopting a faith completely different than the one we began life with, as most people don't. Muslims are muslims from day one, and I believe hindus are to. What are some aspects of your religion? I am not being insulting but I took it as possibly humor when I first read it..

So my rejection of Christianity is illogical (as a former Christian)? Also people change faith. Christians become Muslims and the opposite is also true. Also your claim that Christians are "some of the most intelligent, curious, and open minded people in the world" is demonstratably wrong.

[youtube]wifUXxsOPMA[/youtube]
Are religious Americans really this stupid? - YouTube

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Your Arrogance is appalling, if it wasn't for your avatar I probably would not discuss anything with you. (just kidding, mostly) What is it that makes you claim to be a former Christian. What made you one in the first place.
Given your massive ineptitude I don't particularly feel the need to list my life history for some chimpanzee to dissect, as if he has any frame of reference :D

The former Christian claims are selfcontradictory or at least illogical in my opinion.
No true Scotsman, again.

You mean my point that I had adopted a completely new faith and philosophy was innapropriate to address a claim of closed mindedness, or resistance to change. Christians are some of the most intelligent, curious, and open minded people in the world. If we were not how do you explain our adopting a faith completely different than the one we began life with, as most people don't. Muslims are muslims from day one, and I believe hindus are to. What are some aspects of your religion? I am not being insulting but I took it as possibly humor when I first read it..
You didn't read it at all, and obviously by the posts in the other thread, neither did your supporter. :) But you expound at length on something you clearly state you know nothing about. Typical. You presume a personal wisdom you did nothing at all, to earn.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Given your massive ineptitude I don't particularly feel the need to list my life history for some chimpanzee to dissect, as if he has any frame of reference :D
And that is exactly why you can't judge God and even the sarcastic rhetoric that gave birth to your examples relative insuffeciency to judge is insufficient to indicate your relative insuffeciency to judge God.

No true Scotsman, again.
If you could not ineffectively apply tired Argumentational semantic falacie cliche's your posts would be quite a bit shorter. Being that a true Scotsman is an arbitrary subjective label and A Christian is an objective absolute then those four words weren't worth typing.

You didn't read it at all, and obviously by the posts in the other thread, neither did your supporter. :) But you expound at length on something you clearly state you know nothing about. Typical. You presume a personal wisdom you did nothing at all, to earn.
I wish I hadn't read it at all and would have suffered no loss for it. Whose my supporter?

I enjoy a sarcastic discussion and am almost unoffendable but I don't want to continue at the risk of offending you, your avatar, or the moderators. If you aren't offended then we can continue as I don't usually do it and you seem not to be unable to do it and it's fun.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So my rejection of Christianity is illogical (as a former Christian)? Also people change faith. Christians become Muslims and the opposite is also true. Also your claim that Christians are "some of the most intelligent, curious, and open minded people in the world" is demonstratably wrong.

[youtube]wifUXxsOPMA[/youtube]
Are religious Americans really this stupid? - YouTube

Yes I find it completely illogical, if you want I will explain why but I require you to tell me what you believe makes a Christian in the first place to do so. I will not label you or require you to label your self only point out the biblical requirements to be a Christian and then explain why I find it illogical.