• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You are forgetting history. There was likely far more written about other religions than for Christianity .. The reason we do not have these writing is because the Christians destroyed them.
If they were destroyed long ago then how do you know they existed at all. Regardless this is an argument from silence and is not valid.

Paul did not meet the risen Christ. Paul had a vision and even the Biblical accounts give 3 different versions fo the story.
Wrong, the vision said Saul why are you persecuting ME? It was jesus that was addressing him.

There is almost no information on the life of Jesus or the resurrection of Jesus in the writings of Paul. The least Paul could have done was recounted some of the stories of the life of Jesus but he did not even do that.
Paul was not a follower at the time of the resurrection.That was not paul's role he was more involved with the propegation of the Church and defineing doctrine. Since the other apostles had no problem with Paul why would you.

The fact that Paul did not record any stories of Jesus for us is more evidence that these stories were written after Paul rather than supporting Matt, Mark, Luke.
The gospels are widely believed to be written after much of Paul's was. What is the relevance?

It is understandable that Paul would not be aware of the aforementioned gospels because they had not yet been written but would he not have known at least of any of the stories ?
He did record some of them. Ex...The 500 witnesses. What are you trying to say. There is no point to these statements.

Pauls message deviates so widely from that of Jesus and James that it is hard to believe that Paul was anything other than a rogue religious person who had his own agenda much like may of the televangelists of today.
First this is just nuts. Second Paul wrote more than any other apostle did in the new testament. It would be more logical to think the others were the rogues. His life demonstrated a sincere 180 degree change that happened at his conversion. His teachings were accepted by the other apostles. His messages are overwhelmingly viewed by theologans to be consistent with the teachings of Christ. This sound more like an opinion resulting from a bias than a researched one.

I'm not sure where you are getting this "consistent theme" idea because the Bible is anything but consistent nor was it written over thousands of years. The OT was written in roughly 400 BC and the NT was mostly written by 250 AD.
This is not even close. I will amend my statement to remove a pointless contention. It was written over more than a thousands years. That doesn't change anything and it is in fact a larger period of time. The Old Testament was written from approximately 1400 B.C. to approximately 400 B.C. Moses wrote the first five books known as the Pentateuch, which included the editing of Genesis into its final form from oral or earlier written records. In this latter regard some scholars consider that Abraham himself wrote much of Genesis, since we now know that writing was in use for centuries before Abraham. His birth in 2161 BC would then date his writing considerably earlier than Moses, probably done during his time in Canaan. These tablets would then have been preserved and handed down to eventually come into the hands of Moses. In terms of preservation it is worth noting that this is a very small time considering that tablets have been found in the 20th Century which date to around this time. This theory, known as the 'Tablet Theory' is advanced by some to explain the 'toledoth phrases' found in a number of places in Genesis which mark the end of a tablet dealing with a particular subject. This theory dates the original writing somewhat earlier than its final edited form which would be what has been handed down to us.
When was the Old Testament written
It could also be backed way up if the oral traditions are considered.

Things like the lambs blood used as a means to escape God's judgement in Exodus correlating with the blood of Jesus (the lamb) being what saves a Christian from judgement are the type of consistent themes written by two different people seperated by hundreds of years that suggest the supernatural aspects of the bible. There are thousands more just like this.....

The Israelites of the OT prior to the Babylonian Captivity did not think much of Yahweh and believed in sacrificing children to their various Gods which consisted mostly of El (the father), Asherah ( El's consort/wife) and Baal (the son).
That is irrelevant. The Israelites like the rest of us are a dissobedient stiffnecked bunch of people. They were always screwing up. God condemned these practices. The bible says were have somekind of rebelious nature resulting from the fall that makes us seek our own will and makes us resist authority. Their rebellion is consistent with the narrative. If they were perfectly obedient then that would be inconsistent.

It was not until the Persians that the Jews adopted monotheism and gave up on human sacrifice. This was because the Persians were monotheistic (Zoroastrianism) and detested human sacrifice. Judaism was transformed into its current form on the basis of adopting the religious beliefs of the Persians.
Wrong, this claim pops up every now and then. Dr James White a very respected textual scholar completely and utterly destroys this idea. I believe you could find it in video form online. Videos are blocked where I am and I cannot look for it.

Isaiah 45 even claims that King Cyrus was "annointed by God" to subdue nations.
Correct. Many times God used people regardless of their nationality, faith, or qualification. This is a temporary type of empowerment and is not salvation.

The Persians were the world empire and they freed the Jews from the grasp of the Babylonians so it is no wonder they thought the Persian king was annointed by God and that God was giving them a second chance. Obviously if the Perisan king was "annointed by God" his religion must be the correct one and Judaism adopted it (including the Genesis creation story) lock stock and barrel.
Persia was definately a world power. He was annointed but they did not adopt their religion. The Jewish religion existed prior to their captivity. Some individual Jews may have adopted their religion because were led into captivity because they had rejected God in a sence, but the religion its self existed prior to captivity. With the exception of this persian point I don't see the relevance of the rest. The Persian issue is interesting and I will learn more, however I have seen this position refuted by scholars.

Muffled

Jesus in me
IMHO the right religion is to simply limit your beliefs to what you know. I know the earth is not flat but a slightly oblate sphere and I know it goes around the sun and not the other way around and I know it is considerably much much older than 6,000 years in spite of what the young earth creationists tell us. What I don't know can be placed under varying degrees of plausibility, like I don't know with absolute certainty there is or not a God but do I find an Abrahamic God to be extremely implausible. I do know I am going to die some day but where my ego came from and where it is going beyond my death I have absolutely no idea but as for living on as some entity which retains some or all of them memories of this life as some supernatural spirit realm such a heaven I also find extremely implausible. I keep my beliefs practical like for instance I think it is far safer to believe smoking is bad for your health believing or not in the existence of God.

This is an implausible world. I find it implausible that fusion can provide as much energy as fission, however it is true despite its implausibiity. When looked at logically it is no more unlikely that there is spirit than it is likely. I don't say electiricity is unlikely because I can't see it. I can see the results. Jesus said the same thing. You can't see the wind but you can see the results of the wind blowing on leaves on a tree. ( He put it differently saying that you can hear the wind blow.)

It is totally impractical to ignore the afterlife and God. It is like saying going through stop signs without stopping is practical.

This isn't what you are doing. You are throwing out perfectly good evidence simply because you don't like the evidence.

I tend to agree but dating systems have many problems and you were not there 6,000 years ago that you can remember. (7,000 according to most historians)

waitasec

Veteran Member
I didn't ask or assign you to a category. I was making a generic observation.
no. this goes beyond generic observation
If you have some wordview that makes you resistant to the concept of God even if you don't realise it then once again you can find plenty of reasons to justify unbelief.

I believe I am destined to answer yes. Actually I believe there is such a thing but maybe it's not universal.
that is a double standard

Wisecracker, actually when evaluating God it is necessary only to incorporate his characteristics he has revealed. In other news his attributes are indicated in other more concrete ways. For example his attributes are the exact ones considered necessary for whatever created the universe. They were written in the bible way before man figured out that those were the necessary requirements for any first cause.There are many other ways to derive a certain amount of confidence or evidence for God's attributes. Do you ever use philosophy to evaluate God, these things are apparent if you have. Forgive me if I should have known better than ask this because you have already answered it.
the evidence for an indifferent god cannot be ignored...
actually it dwarfs any evidence for a god who's concerned with human emotions, aspirations, dreams and, well being.

A Troubled Man

I don't say electiricity is unlikely because I can't see it.

You've never seen lightning or electricity arc through the air? Many others have.

You can't see the wind but you can see the results of the wind blowing on leaves on a tree.

The molecules in the atmosphere can't be seen by the human eye but they can be observed through powerful microscopes.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, then they cannot be blamed.
I will add though, that treating the living, human Egyptians as mere disposable characters probably doesn't paint god in a very good light. He allowed them to die and go to Hell, simply as a convenience.

As regards the question I was answering, did the Egyptians do right by not choosing God as the 'right religion', then?

Still doesn't sound very moral or appealing, though, does it?

I find no biblical evidence that they went to hell. The Bible supports re-incarnation whereupon they would have a new chance to believe in God building upon previous experience.

Like it or not God consideers us all disposable but He doesn't end life just for fun or to be mean. The wicked deserve to die.

Of course they didn't do right but it would have taken a great deal of courage for them to overcome cultural adversions. I don't know for sure but I am willing to think that the Egyptians wouldn't put blood on their lintels since they kept their distance from those who herded sheep. I think God purposely made it more difficult for Egyptians to be saved in order to punish them for their idolatry.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I find no biblical evidence that they went to hell. The Bible supports re-incarnation whereupon they would have a new chance to believe in God building upon previous experience.
The Bible supports reincarnation?? Hold on a sec. You need to site scripture for that, as such an idea is counter to anything heard before.

But, I will agree with you to be companionable, that there's nothing saying they went to Hell. But, if they were the nemeses of the Israelites, held them in bondage, and were subjected to plagues by God, does that conclusion not seem likely? I would be delighted if their reward for being non-player characters was a trip to Paradise, I just have never seen anything written to suggest it. Can you enlighten us?
Like it or not God consideers us all disposable but He doesn't end life just for fun or to be mean. The wicked deserve to die.
If we were disposable then yes, he does. Do you understand what the word 'disposable' means?
Of course they didn't do right but it would have taken a great deal of courage for them to overcome cultural adversions. I don't know for sure but I am willing to think that the Egyptians wouldn't put blood on their lintels since they kept their distance from those who herded sheep. I think God purposely made it more difficult for Egyptians to be saved in order to punish them for their idolatry.
OK, so, let me try and understand. The Egyptians did not do right for not choosing God, simply because that is always the right answer, no matter what befalls, is that what you are saying?

If the Egyptians came from a culture that did not really know God, how did their idolatry convict them? Is there not a kind of alleviation for those who did not know of God, before they die? This was how they were raised, so, can they not be treated gently for being ignorant, in a sense? Then, once their slaves began teaching them of God, is it not understandable, event o god, that they had reasonable doubts [ie., these 'chosen people' were slaves]? Back then, I think Man thought that one's station and situation were determined for you by divine powers, so, if the lessons of this One god were coming from the lowest from society, how could their word be taken over that of the established, successful priests of the Egyptian pantheon?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I've argued this with Christians. Usually they won't budge.
I'm happy to see others who recognize this. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
And Adam said to Eve "woohoo, what are those things?" sorry just joking.
And Eve said to Adam "you think your gonna put what where?" sorry just joking.

Theoretically all the things that go with being naked were realized when they realized that they were naked. However we can go further because the text also says that Eve would desire a man and get pregnant.

beerisit

Muffled said:
No I must pull you up there and remind you of the biblical phrase that states categorically that "only the good die young".

beerisit

Theoretically all the things that go with being naked were realized when they realized that they were naked. However we can go further because the text also says that Eve would desire a man and get pregnant.
Didn't god tell 'em to go do the horizontal tango before that. What? Did they just stand around waiting for him to nick off and then laugh and say WTF? And how lucky was Eve that there was one just lying around handy?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've argued this with Christians. Usually they won't budge.
I'm happy to see others who recognize this. :)

I've argued on a few threads like that. The Bible account says nothing about anyone going to Hell until the end of the World (as we know it). A right religious perspective isn't based on supposition, assumption or specualtion.

A Troubled Man

Interesting. Considering that God is not around to point out those who are wicked, can we assume that those who share your beliefs are the ones that will decide who deserves to die?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
no. this goes beyond generic observation
People claiming to know more about other peoples motives than they do really gets old. It was my statement, I know why I made it. Believe whatever makes you feel better.

that is a double standard
I don't get it. God can assign a destiny or not. He can even assign a partial destiny but leave other things to chance and freewill. If he exists then this is obvious.

the evidence for an indifferent god cannot be ignored...
actually it dwarfs any evidence for a god who's concerned with human emotions, aspirations, dreams and, well being.
There is very little evidence of a non personal God. By the very definitions, a personal God would provide vastly more evidence than an impersonal one would. This is the case. And I have not ignored most major views of different Gods.

Oryonder

If they were destroyed long ago then how do you know they existed at all. Regardless this is an argument from silence and is not valid.

We have writings that tell of the existence of texts and destruction of these texts. The real argument from silence is yours.

Wrong, the vision said Saul why are you persecuting ME? It was jesus that was addressing him.

It was a vision .. having a dream and meeting someone are two different things.

Paul was not a follower at the time of the resurrection.That was not paul's role he was more involved with the propegation of the Church and defineing doctrine. Since the other apostles had no problem with Paul why would you.

Paul supposedly knew and had contact with Peter, James and so on .. surely he would have been aware of some of the stories of Jesus. Almost nothing of Jesus is mentioned .. Paul did not know Jesus or much of the life of Jesus.

The gospels are widely believed to be written after much of Paul's was. What is the relevance?

The relevance is that Paul did not seem to know anything about the life of Jesus.

He did record some of them. Ex...The 500 witnesses. What are you trying to say. There is no point to these statements.

Big deal .. Paul heard one story of supposed witnesses to the resurrection. Was there nothing else about the life of Jesus that was worth recording ?

First this is just nuts. Second Paul wrote more than any other apostle did in the new testament. It would be more logical to think the others were the rogues. His life demonstrated a sincere 180 degree change that happened at his conversion. His teachings were accepted by the other apostles. His messages are overwhelmingly viewed by theologans to be consistent with the teachings of Christ. This sound more like an opinion resulting from a bias than a researched one.

Many of Pauls teachings were not accepted by the other apostles .. Read James 2 sometime. They came to an agreement on the circumcision issue and that was about it.

This is not even close. I will amend my statement to remove a pointless contention. It was written over more than a thousands years. That doesn't change anything and it is in fact a larger period of time. The Old Testament was written from approximately 1400 B.C. to approximately 400 B.C. Moses wrote the first five books known as the Pentateuch, which included the editing of Genesis into its final form from oral or earlier written records. In this latter regard some scholars consider that Abraham himself wrote much of Genesis, since we now know that writing was in use for centuries before Abraham. His birth in 2161 BC would then date his writing considerably earlier than Moses, probably done during his time in Canaan. These tablets would then have been preserved and handed down to eventually come into the hands of Moses. In terms of preservation it is worth noting that this is a very small time considering that tablets have been found in the 20th Century which date to around this time. This theory, known as the 'Tablet Theory' is advanced by some to explain the 'toledoth phrases' found in a number of places in Genesis which mark the end of a tablet dealing with a particular subject. This theory dates the original writing somewhat earlier than its final edited form which would be what has been handed down to us

Abraham was not born anywhere close to 2161 BC. That would put the time in Egypt at over 600 years.

We have no idea who wrote Genesis and the post Exodus books.
Some of the poems/psalms likely date to King Solomon's time and there was likely some record of the things that happend in Kings, and the military conquest post exodus and so forth. I will grant that much. The problem is that we do not know how much of these stories were original content and how much artistic liberty was used by the editors in 400 BC.

Writing goes back to 3500 BC- Proto Elamite which we can not read. We can read Elamite which came shortly after. In these early texts you will find the original version of Genesis in much greater detail than given in Genesis and it predates Abraham by a long long time.

These creation stories were in circulation among the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Assyrians, Canaanites and so forth.

If you read the twin stories of creation in Genesis you will see that in the first version the creator is "El" Ellil/Enlil. In the second version El-Yahwah is given credit. The second creation story in Genesis is a later addition. If it was not a later addition then Moses would not have had to ask God his name or at least Moses would have used the same name for God from start to finish in Genesis.

El was the God of Abraham .. El Yahweh (the God Yahweh) a local city God undergoes a fusion into El .. El in to Yahweh. http://www.jhsonline.org/Articles/article_144.pdf

That is irrelevant. The Israelites like the rest of us are a dissobedient stiffnecked bunch of people. They were always screwing up. God condemned these practices. The bible says were have somekind of rebelious nature resulting from the fall that makes us seek our own will and makes us resist authority. Their rebellion is consistent with the narrative. If they were perfectly obedient then that would be inconsistent.

The only thing that is consistent is that the writers of the OT in 400 BC attributed the downfall of Israel to worship of other Gods. They then adopted the Persian religious customs of monotheism and abhorrence of human sacrifice because they thought that God favored the Persians.

What is consistent throughout most of the history of Israel after the Exodus is that the Israelites did not seem to have much reverence for the God that supposedly parted the Red Sea, performed a bunch of other miracles, and took them out of Egypt, and followed them around in a tent for a number of years helping them win wars.

Just a few years after leaving Egypt, when Moses goes up the mountain for a couple days, Aaron - brother of Moses has the people bring him Jewlery and Gold out of which a Golden Calf is made. (Think El, Asherah) El Yahweh is even shown with his consort Asherah in archeaological inscriptions from Israelite settlements from a later date.

Not only do these early Israelites believe in the God of Moses .. his own Brother is not convinced. This does not even pass the giggle test.

When Moses comes back he is ******. Turns the calf into powder and makes the people drink it. He then asks the people to take sides (those on the side of the lord and the rebels) and has assassins kill those who took the other side.

What we have is an insertion of a word into the original story .. (instead of the side of "the lord" what Moses is really asking is if they side with him)

Moses was a great military leader and he put dissent down quickly.

Wrong, this claim pops up every now and then. Dr James White a very respected textual scholar completely and utterly destroys this idea. I believe you could find it in video form online. Videos are blocked where I am and I cannot look for it

Serious Biblical scholars agree that there was an cross adoption of religious customs between the Jews and the Persians. I gave you the part in Isaiah where they even claim that Cyrus was annointed by God. What is also clear from "Bibilcal History" is that for centuries prior to the Babylonian captivity the vast majority of Israelites had little reverence monotheism and engaged in human sacrifice as required by these other Gods.

It is rediculous to assert that for over 500 years the vast majority of Israelites are worshiping other Gods and sacrificing humans to these Gods and then "suddenly" of their own accord they turn to monotheism.. which just happened to conicide with them gaining some freedom and legitimacy under the Persians after being reduced to nothing by the Babylonians.

To suggest that the Jews adoption of monotheism and cessation of human sacrifice had nothing to do with the fact that these were the Religious customs of the Persians who saved them and who's king was thought to be annointed by God is beyond absurd and beyond logic.

Persia was definately a world power. He was annointed but they did not adopt their religion. The Jewish religion existed prior to their captivity.

Of course the Jewish religion existed prior to their captivity. This religions of the Israelites was not monotheistic and included human sacrifice. After Persia .. who were monotheistic and abhorred human sacrifice .. all of a sudden so were the Jews .. go figure.

The Israelites had 1400-500 .. roughly 900 years to adopt monotheism and they did not. It was only after the Babylonian captivity/ during the Persian reign that this happened.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The Bible supports reincarnation?? Hold on a sec. You need to site scripture for that, as such an idea is counter to anything heard before.

You've heard the term "Born again"? Most Christians take this to mean some form of transformation that takes place at some point when they accept Jesus as their savior. What if it actually just meant what it says? Being "born again"?

If we were disposable then yes, he does. Do you understand what the word 'disposable' means?

Not to speak for Muffled, but my own thinking. For a supposedly all powerful being. He could create you, un-create you, re-create you a billion or so times. You would not be any the wiser. Alter your entire past. make it as though you never existed. An all powerful being has no accountability as they can alter anything. That makes any individual life pretty disposable. God could end all creation at any point and start over. Who is God accountable to?

OK, so, let me try and understand. The Egyptians did not do right for not choosing God, simply because that is always the right answer, no matter what befalls, is that what you are saying?

If the Egyptians came from a culture that did not really know God, how did their idolatry convict them? Is there not a kind of alleviation for those who did not know of God, before they die? This was how they were raised, so, can they not be treated gently for being ignorant, in a sense? Then, once their slaves began teaching them of God, is it not understandable, event o god, that they had reasonable doubts [ie., these 'chosen people' were slaves]? Back then, I think Man thought that one's station and situation were determined for you by divine powers, so, if the lessons of this One god were coming from the lowest from society, how could their word be taken over that of the established, successful priests of the Egyptian pantheon?

They serve a purpose. They fulfilled a role so we could learn from the past. Not malice or punishment.

If reborn they also learn from the past. If disposable, they served God's purpose. God creates and un-creates an all powerful being is sovereign, unaccountable.

No malice, no punishment, no suffering after death. Perhaps rebirth, perhaps non-existence/uncreation of that individual identity. However the energy/matter remain is reused in another form. Nothing is lost except perhaps the illusion of identity. Matter/energy return to God to be reused. Identity is what is disposed.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Interesting. Considering that God is not around to point out those who are wicked, can we assume that those who share your beliefs are the ones that will decide who deserves to die?

We all die. The illusion of identity is perhaps lost. The energy/chemicals remain whether you believe in a God or not. No one decides, the death of the self is inevitable.

Maybe circumstances serve the purpose of a God, maybe they do not. It is not about what is deserved. We have been given life by whatever means. We are left to deal with the circumstances we find ourselves in the best we can.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We have writings that tell of the existence of texts and destruction of these texts. The real argument from silence is yours.
How is a book on the existence and size of missing documents enough to judge their worth by assuming that they even exist. Can you supply a link for this I sounds interesting?

It was a vision .. having a dream and meeting someone are two different things.
It was not a vision in the pschological non material sense. Why is it you think that it was not Christ that was produceing the bright light. He does the same thing in revelations. Regardless why is this significant?

Paul supposedly knew and had contact with Peter, James and so on .. surely he would have been aware of some of the stories of Jesus. Almost nothing of Jesus is mentioned .. Paul did not know Jesus or much of the life of Jesus.
Each writer had a particular mission, each gospel is written for a specific audience. Paul who had by far the least association with Christ would be expected to provide less accounts of him. I still don't see the significance. Paul's mission concerned the new Churches organization and doctrine, he was not trying to retell stories about Jesus. there were already 4 + accounts that did this.

The relevance is that Paul did not seem to know anything about the life of Jesus.
There is nothing cotradictory between Jesus message and Pauls. Or at least nothing obviously so.

Big deal .. Paul heard one story of supposed witnesses to the resurrection. Was there nothing else about the life of Jesus that was worth recording ?
I just listed the first one that popped in my head. If I knew what difference it would make then a more thurough answer might be justified.

Many of Pauls teachings were not accepted by the other apostles .. Read James 2 sometime. They came to an agreement on the circumcision issue and that was about it.
I get why your are comparing the two. If if they were contradictory why wouldn't Paul be the more authoritative since he wrote vastly more of the bible than James did. I do not think they are contradictory:

The following is Mathew Henry. The most universally respected commmentary.
I. Upon this arises a very great question, namely, how to reconcile Paul and James. Paul, in his epistles to the Romans and Galatians, seems to assert the directly contrary thing to what James here lays down, saying if often, and with a great deal of emphasis, that we are justified by faith only and not by the works of the law. Amicæ scripturarum lites, utinam et nostræ—There is a very happy agreement between one part of scripture and another, notwithstanding seeming differences: it were well if the differences among Christians were as easily reconciled. "Nothing," says Mr. Baxter, "but men's misunderstanding the plain drift and sense of Paul's epistles, could make so many take it for a matter of great difficulty to reconcile Paul and James." A general view of those things which are insisted on by the Antinomians may be seen in Mr. Baxter's Paraphrase: and many ways might be mentioned which have been invented among learned men to make the apostles agree; but it may be sufficient only to observe these few things following:—1. When Paul says that a man is justified by faith, without the deeds of the law (Rom. iii. 28), he plainly speaks of another sort of work than James does, but not of another sort of faith. Paul speaks of works wrought in obedience to the law of Moses, and before men's embracing the faith of the gospel; and he had to deal with those who valued themselves so highly upon those works that they rejected the gospel (as Rom. x., at the beginning most expressly declares); but James speaks of works done in obedience to the gospel, and as the proper and necessary effects and fruits of sound believing in Christ Jesus. Both are concerned to magnify the faith of the gospel, as that which alone could save us and justify us; but Paul magnifies it by showing the insufficiency of any works of the law before faith, or in opposition to the doctrine of justification by Jesus Christ; James magnifies the same faith, by showing what are the genuine and necessary products and operations of it. 2. Paul not only speaks of different works from those insisted on by James, but he speaks of a quite different use that was made of good works from what is here urged and intended. Paul had to do with those who depended on the merit of their works in the sight of God, and thus he might well make them of no manner of account. James had to do with those who cried up faith, but would not allow works to be used even as evidence; they depended upon a bare profession, as sufficient to justify them; and with these he might well urge the necessity and vast importance of good works. As we must not break one table of the law, by dashing it against the other, so neither must we break in pieces the law and the gospel, by making them clash with one another: those who cry up the gospel so as to set aside the law, and those who cry up the law so as to set aside the gospel, are both in the wrong; for we must take our work before us; there must be both faith in Jesus Christ and good works the fruit of faith. 3. The justification of which Paul speaks is different from that spoken of by James; the one speaks of our persons being justified before God, the other speaks of our faith being justified before men: "Show me thy faith by thy works," says James, "let thy faith be justified in the eyes of those that behold thee by thy works;" but Paul speaks of justification in the sight of God, who justifies those only that believe in Jesus, and purely on account of the redemption that is in him. Thus we see that our persons are justified before God by faith, but our faith is justified before men by works. This is so plainly the scope and design of the apostle James that he is but confirming what Paul, in other places, says of his faith, that it is a laborious faith, and a faith working by love, Gal. v. 6; 1 Thess. i. 3; Titus iii. 8; and many other places. 4. Paul may be understood as speaking of that justification which is inchoate, James of that which is complete; it is by faith only that we are put into a justified state, but then good works come in for the completing of our justification at the last great day; then, Come you children of my Father—for I was hungry, and you gave me meat, &c.
James 2 Commentary | New Testament | Matthew Henry | St-Takla.org

Abraham was not born anywhere close to 2161 BC. That would put the time in Egypt at over 600 years.
Every site I found gave approx 2000BCE as the birth date. Is this a problem? This is getting too big to post I will address the rest later. They are good points.

Oryonder

How is a book on the existence and size of missing documents enough to judge their worth by assuming that they even exist. Can you supply a link for this I sounds interesting?

Google Zoroastrianism and you can read about how the Greeks destroyed many of the religious texts at the temple of Xerxes. \

Google Constantine/Destruction nof knowledge and you can read how he went about destroying religious documents and symbols.

There was a 700 year old school of philosophy at Alexandria .. One of the salaried directors was awoman named Hypathia who taught mathematics. Hypatia

She represented heretical teachings, including experimental science and pagan religion. She was an associate of Orestes. And she was a woman who didn't know her place. Cyril's preaching against Hypatia is said to have been what incited a mob led by fanatical Christian monks in 415 to attack Hypatia as she drove her chariot through Alexandria. They dragged her from her chariot and, according to accounts from that time, stripped her, killed her, stripped her flesh from her bones, scattered her body parts through the streets, and burned some remaining parts of her body in the library of Caesareum.

Any reading of the history of the Catholic Church will detail out numerous instances of knowledge destruction, particularely if it conflicted in any way with the teachings of the church.

After 1000 years of Church dominance not even the Kings could read and many of the monks were illiterate. Institutionalized stupidity.

It was not a vision in the pschological non material sense. Why is it you think that it was not Christ that was produceing the bright light. He does the same thing in revelations. Regardless why is this significant?

Who knows what Pauls vision was or was not. The Pauline writings has 3 conflicting accounts.

Each writer had a particular mission, each gospel is written for a specific audience. Paul who had by far the least association with Christ would be expected to provide less accounts of him. I still don't see the significance. Paul's mission concerned the new Churches organization and doctrine, he was not trying to retell stories about Jesus. there were already 4 + accounts that did this.

None that Paul had any knowledge of .. they were written after his time.

There is nothing cotradictory between Jesus message and Pauls. Or at least nothing obviously so.

Paul has the same contradictions with Jesus as he does with James. I read posting from Matt Henry and went to his site. I do not know how you can call this guy the most "universally respected" .. The guy was born in the 15th century and is apparently well liked by evangelicals (strike one for that). More on this commentary later.
I get why your are comparing the two. If if they were contradictory why wouldn't Paul be the more authoritative since he wrote vastly more of the bible than James did. I do not think they are contradictory:

One of the problems with the NT is that there is so much reliance on Pauline epistles IMO. Paul did more writing but this does not make him an authority. Also a number of Pauline epistles were not written by Paul. Also Constantine was likely a fan of Paul's idea that you could be saved purely on the basis of faith and it was during his time that what went into the Bible was chosen .. .and what did not.

The following is Mathew Henry. The most universally respected commmentary.

Again ... not sure where you get this "most universally respected" idea from.

He makes some intersting points but where he fails is when he claims that Paul was talking about what is required to be justified before Christ and James was talking about what is required to be justified before man.

There are a couple of problems with this line .. first is that he does not justify this claim and second this contradicts the words of Jesus in the sermon on the mount.

Jesus explicitly states that he is talking about the kingdom of heaven .. and entrance/high status requires works.

Every site I found gave approx 2000BCE as the birth date. Is this a problem? This is getting too big to post I will address the rest later. They are good points

Big difference between 2170 and 2000. I got a date of 1976BC on wiki. No biggie in any case.

If we put Abraham around 2000 he is mostl likely worshiping El (Father, Creator and all powerfull God)

What is funny is that Noah and a couple of his sons are still alive and kicking while Abraham is alive. Obviously if the father of all humanity were still alive everyone on the planet would be worshiping that person and whatever God he and his son believed in and all the people of the world would be making regular pilgramiges to see "the father of all humanity"

Clearly and without any doubt .. the story of Noah is false.

What is even more odd, is that shortly after the flood story Noah is never mentioned again. At the time of Abraham (round 2000BC) both the Egyptian and Sumerian and Canaan religions are well established and had been for centuries. Same thing for India, South America, Africa, and Europe.

Noah must have been a busy fellow in the 400 years he lived after the flood. (and his seed must have contained multiple races)

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
You've heard the term "Born again"? Most Christians take this to mean some form of transformation that takes place at some point when they accept Jesus as their savior. What if it actually just meant what it says? Being "born again"?
Given the context of the passage it appears in in John, and the incredibly late point at which it appears [and with no mention whatsoever in any previous texts], I don't see this as a rational supposition for what the passage intends. The Abrahamic Monotheist concept is a single lifetime, with a judgment at the end for that lifetime; it has never varied.

Not to speak for Muffled, but my own thinking. For a supposedly all powerful being. He could create you, un-create you, re-create you a billion or so times. You would not be any the wiser. Alter your entire past. make it as though you never existed. An all powerful being has no accountability as they can alter anything. That makes any individual life pretty disposable. God could end all creation at any point and start over. Who is God accountable to?
Well, of course. So, how is it that you can disagree with my assessment? We are all disposable, and God is uncaring in what he does with us, except as regards his own desires.

They serve a purpose. They fulfilled a role so we could learn from the past. Not malice or punishment.
They served a disposable role and did not share in the lesson, did they? That is malicious, and smacks of punishment.

If reborn they also learn from the past. If disposable, they served God's purpose. God creates and un-creates an all powerful being is sovereign, unaccountable.

No malice, no punishment, no suffering after death. Perhaps rebirth, perhaps non-existence/uncreation of that individual identity. However the energy/matter remain is reused in another form. Nothing is lost except perhaps the illusion of identity. Matter/energy return to God to be reused. Identity is what is disposed.
Identity is the only valuable thing. All the rest cannot be achieved without it.
The only illusion here is that some thing can be more valuable than the self.

I must say, the more you folks try to ponder God's aims the more dangerous and immoral he appears.