• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the right religion

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Matt 24:45-47
You realise this is a parable? It is a teaching that uses hypothetical people and events to illustrate a concept. It does not directly indicate who will develop doctrine or the Church. Here is a commentary that deals with these verses:

Since this parable applies to everyone, Christ admonishes us to lead in a way that unites and inspires others to be faithful. We do this by giving them the truth, a good example, and encouragement. In this way, we become wise and faithful stewards of the trust God has given us.
In these verses, Christ strongly links belief with behavior in both examples. If we believe in His return, we will not live as we would like carnally. It is as simple as that. If we really believe He will return soon, this parable shows that our belief will regulate our lives, keeping us from extremes of conduct.
Read more: Matthew 24:45 (King James Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

This parable concerns all manner of small and large tasks and roles. It does not directly concern only the leadership of the Church and I disagree totally with your 99% of Christians are illegitamite. What Jesus makes Holy is Holy and you or I do not have the power to label. Anyone born of the spirit is a member of the body of Christ and is a true Christian. This parable does have an application of course but you are assuming it to apply specifically and absolutely to something it wasn't made to address in detail and specifically IMO. It is a general statement about being good stewards of what we are given and is not meant to define who is the true denominations or Christians and who is not. That is determined by whether we are born again or whether our doctrines are biblical and only God can reliably know the first one anyway.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Why in the world is it meaningfull to label biblical principles with the most negative label that can possibly be found but has the slightest thread of relevance? By the way the opposite POV in this discussions context so far is manditory lobotamy for everyone. The bible says that we will not be sad in heaven. I said that God may remove any memory that would cause sadness as a possible method for this because it seems that a critic must know how something is going to happen to believe that it could even though this principle is only applied to the bible and not in the rest oftheir everyday life. I do not know the method God will use I just know what he said heaven will be. Me personally I have no desire to remember anything that would result in pain but if I could retain my memories and they just simply didn't cause pain then that would be fine as well. The point is I trust God and have enough experience with him to have faith that he will probably do way more than I could ever dream of and his methods are up to him.
Interesting.

As it is a bit off topic, I will start a thread on this concept.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Interesting.

As it is a bit off topic, I will start a thread on this concept.
Very well but as I have said I do not know exactly what method God will use so I do not know how deep it can be addressed. If you wish my contrabution please PM me about your thread.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Living by every utterance of God like Jesus said man needs to do is not so simple a task in a world where satan is the ruler and sin is pleasure.
:spit:
again with the convenient disclaimers. there is no way you can determine any of that...

but if it makes you feel better about yourself...

waitasec

Veteran Member
800,000 words in the most studied and relied upon book in human history is anything but blind. When the some of the smartest people on the planet (Newton, Kepler, Copernicus, Descarte, Pascal, Faraday, Kelvin, Collins) all believe in God your position just isn't.
do you have a problem with the concept of faith?
seems like it. how quaint.

So God will remove any memories that would cause pain and I guess you love pain so much you would rather destroy your soul than suffer this terrible fate. Who is a Zombie?

not at all. i prefer to be lucid. and for you to willingly say to yourself that any of the people you care about are potentially going to be erased from your memory is sort of well, sick...but hey if this works for you ... :areyoucra

Good lord. So Cancer doesn't exist because no one completely understands it. Love doesn't exist because no one understands it. You do not exist because no one can understand you completely. That makes a lot of sence. This silly assertion just destroyed approx 80% of science.
i understand cancer, and love and pain.
i don't understand the idea of willingly wanting to be brain washed..

Oh yes they are. You have only a fraction of the total understanding for what is going on around you and that applies to everyone.
are you going to pull out the car breaking card?
please. theses extra ordinary claims of wanting to be brain washed is
the first hurdle for me to understand... one step at a time...

What are you talking about? My system gives the only satasfactory explenation for what is going on. Yours can only blunder around in the dark making strange noises and never provide an explenation, a cure, meaning, or a solution. I guess it is just nuts to demand answers from a system you adopt.
sure if you are willing to be brain washed anything is possible....
:areyoucra

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Living by every utterance of God like Jesus said man needs to do is not so simple a task in a world where satan is the ruler and sin is pleasure.

Especially when you assume all 774746 or so words in the Bible have been uttered by God.

kjw47

You realise this is a parable? It is a teaching that uses hypothetical people and events to illustrate a concept. It does not directly indicate who will develop doctrine or the Church. Here is a commentary that deals with these verses:

Since this parable applies to everyone, Christ admonishes us to lead in a way that unites and inspires others to be faithful. We do this by giving them the truth, a good example, and encouragement. In this way, we become wise and faithful stewards of the trust God has given us.
In these verses, Christ strongly links belief with behavior in both examples. If we believe in His return, we will not live as we would like carnally. It is as simple as that. If we really believe He will return soon, this parable shows that our belief will regulate our lives, keeping us from extremes of conduct.
Read more: Matthew 24:45 (King James Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

This parable concerns all manner of small and large tasks and roles. It does not directly concern only the leadership of the Church and I disagree totally with your 99% of Christians are illegitamite. What Jesus makes Holy is Holy and you or I do not have the power to label. Anyone born of the spirit is a member of the body of Christ and is a true Christian. This parable does have an application of course but you are assuming it to apply specifically and absolutely to something it wasn't made to address in detail and specifically IMO. It is a general statement about being good stewards of what we are given and is not meant to define who is the true denominations or Christians and who is not. That is determined by whether we are born again or whether our doctrines are biblical and only God can reliably know the first one anyway.

While i was a fornicator,thief,drug addict,drunk,liar,etc on a daily basis, i attended a baptist church--the teacher said that if i came up front and prayed 3 lines i was born again( saved). That is so far from truth it isnt funny to tell someone that--its a serious lie, there isnt a mortal alive who has the right to try and tell another that they are in a saved position. So you are right about biblical doctrines.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
do you have a problem with the concept of faith?
seems like it. how quaint.
What strange response. I mention several factors (among hundreds and thousands)that make faith a very reasonable proposition non-blind faith, to which you reply I have a problem with faith. I am sure it is root in some unreasonable hairsplitting semantic literal definition of blind but I will just wait for it.

not at all. i prefer to be lucid. and for you to willingly say to yourself that any of the people you care about are potentially going to be erased from your memory is sort of well, sick...but hey if this works for you ... :areyoucra
This from someone who's system eliminates any brain function at all after death and limits it during life.

i understand cancer, and love and pain.
i don't understand the idea of willingly wanting to be brain washed..
You at best understand some small constituent components of Cancer and love and a thousand other things but the vast majority of many concepts are unknown by you and everyone else. They are however believed in whole heartedly with exception of the bible. And your prefer a system the guarantees brain death for everyone. That is like returning an apple cpu with a minor problem you invented in favor of a acer that has no processor or motherboard and is smashed into dust. Then saying people who choose the apple are idiots.

are you going to pull out the car breaking card?
What?

please. theses extra ordinary claims of wanting to be brain washed is
the first hurdle for me to understand... one step at a time...
I prefer a system that retains most memories and makes the others non painful, you prefer one that annihilates all memory. It is you that has more to explain.

sure if you are willing to be brain washed anything is possible....
:areyoucra
Coming from someone who desires no brain function at all.

waitasec

Veteran Member
What strange response.
it's not strange. you are the one putting forth quasi evidence.

I mention several factors (among hundreds and thousands)that make faith a very reasonable proposition non-blind faith, to which you reply I have a problem with faith.
faith is not reasonable. not the faith mentioned in hebrews 11...
i find your stance to be irreconcilable, so.. whatever makes you feel better.
I am sure it is root in some unreasonable hairsplitting semantic literal definition of blind but I will just wait for it.
semantics is the key and if you can't explain yourself accurately then you failed in doing so.

This from someone who's system eliminates any brain function at all after death and limits it during life.
why did you dodge the point?
you are willingly saying to yourself that any of the people you care about in your life in the here and now are potentially going to be erased from your memory...can you actually talk about what we are talking about?

You at best understand some small constituent components of Cancer and love and a thousand other things but the vast majority of many concepts are unknown by you and everyone else. They are however believed in whole heartedly with exception of the bible. And your prefer a system the guarantees brain death for everyone. That is like returning an apple cpu with a minor problem you invented in favor of a acer that has no processor or motherboard and is smashed into dust. Then saying people who choose the apple are idiots.
wow...so any or all of those you care for being erased from your memory sits well with you?
see, the difference here is that you are so desperately trying to use your silly disclaimers that explains the double standard here. "my system" is the ultimate finality of what i know...which includes everyone i know...not just some of what i know and who i know, and that is where the double standards is applied for you...you are willing to say some of the people you know will be forgotten. how is that going to work with people whose lives are interwoven? you got some essplaining to do...

if you only had one chance to do something, something that was meaningful, would you want to dive into it and relish it? connection to others seems to be something that is disposable for you because you are willing to say to yourself, 'i might not remember this person in the hereafter', which diminishes the connection you have with them now.

I prefer a system that retains most memories and makes the others non painful, you prefer one that annihilates all memory. It is you that has more to explain.
it's actually quite simple.
i have come to the point of surrender...i will die, everyone i've known or know has or will. not some, but all of us will.
it's been happening since life began.
so really "your system" of retaining most memories is actually a selfish and narrow way of looking at it.
what about those who have had pathetic lives whose memories are tainted with constant pain? you speak from the bravery of being out of range from the horrific situation...but again, if it makes you feel better, that's all that matters...who cares if it doesn't really make sense.

Coming from someone who desires no brain function at all.
stop dodging the issue...you are willing to be brain washed.
I prefer a system that retains most memories
there can be no happiness without sorrow...if sorrow disappeared then happiness becomes null.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Good day Muffled---- Before Jesus, the israelites were Gods people--they didnt practice islam?

From the technical meaning of Islam ie hearing and obeying God, the Israelites practiced Islam if somewhat imperfectly but then everyone falls short of perfection. David heard and obeyed God but managed to ignore His laws at times.

waitasec

Veteran Member
From the technical meaning of Islam ie hearing and obeying God, the Israelites practiced Islam if somewhat imperfectly but then everyone falls short of perfection. David heard and obeyed God but managed to ignore His laws at times.

what is the technical meaning of islam?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Equality?

Everyone gets saved or no one should get saved.
Every life is important, no more no less then my own.

A sense of unity among men. Unity, forgiveness, compassion. Not wanting to see anyone caused unnecessary suffering. A rejection of heaven if everyone we care about can't enjoy it.

I suppose an unwillingness to give up compassion at any cost.

So let me get this straight. If I get a box of chocolates but my loved one has rejected chocolates, I'll feel bad eating the chocolates because he/she can't have one?

So which is better to be tormented by a loved one's loss or not remember it. I suppose the masochists are the normal people and those who don't wish to suffer are the sciopaths, huh?

Muffled

Jesus in me
what is the technical meaning of islam?

Muslims see Islam as hearing and obeying God through the Qu'ran. However Abraham is seen by Muslims as Islamic simply because he heard and obeyed God. That doesn't fit the Muslims understanding of Islam that includes the Qu'ran, but it does fit hearing and obeying God.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So let me get this straight. If I get a box of chocolates but my loved one has rejected chocolates, I'll feel bad eating the chocolates because he/she can't have one?

We are talking about heaven, not a box of chocolates. Slightly different scale of importance I'd think.

So which is better to be tormented by a loved one's loss or not remember it. I suppose the masochists are the normal people and those who don't wish to suffer are the sciopaths, huh?

Since I loved/cared about the person, I'd want them to be happy, that's all. It's not really important if I remember them or not.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Muslims see Islam as hearing and obeying God through the Qu'ran. However Abraham is seen by Muslims as Islamic simply because he heard and obeyed God. That doesn't fit the Muslims understanding of Islam that includes the Qu'ran, but it does fit hearing and obeying God.

you left out someone very very central to the entire premise of islam;
mohammed.

nice try though...

so again...is islam the right religion or is christianity?

pssst....this is what i think.....
there cannot be one right religion, unless you think god is a monoglot....but if you do... cool.

waitasec

Veteran Member
*sigh*
are you for real. a box of chocolates is not even comparable...
again you failed.

well there will be nothing of what i know...so i don't see how the masochism plays any role in it. it is sociopathic to willingly say to ones self of a loved one, "i won't remember so and so if they don't make it, so whatever, it's all about me and how i feel"

Last edited:

kjw47

Does islam serve the God named YHWH?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Does islam serve the God named YHWH?

As far as I'm concerned God has no name. People just like to give God names cause it makes them think they know something about God.

From what I understand Allah is the Arabic word for God.
According to them there is one God, the same God of Christians and Jews.

Yet people still have to fight over it. :shrug:

kjw47

As far as I'm concerned God has no name. People just like to give God names cause it makes them think they know something about God.

From what I understand Allah is the Arabic word for God.
According to them there is one God, the same God of Christians and Jews.

Yet people still have to fight over it. :shrug:

There is no fight over who God is- he told everyone his name is YHWH( Jehovah)
Yes Allah is just a title--God is a personal living being with a name.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is no fight over who God is- he told everyone his name is YHWH( Jehovah)
Yes Allah is just a title--God is a personal living being with a name.

The pronunciation "Jehovah" is probably wrong. However this is how the Jehovah Witness pronounce it. Are you one? Most use Yahweh,

The Tetragrammaton seems more a description then a name. I am that I am or I am he that creates or I am life perhaps.

God could have been telling Moses that "I am Life" Or "I am the Creator". That he was trying to tell Moses his name was "Jehovah", probably not.