• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the truth behind hip hop ex ministries

Booko

Deviled Hen
:rolleyes:the purpose of this post is to understand the reason why people are told not to especially christians. i want to hear opinons. this is not to scare you but to show one of the reasons why christians are to have their own seperate thing from others. This is one of the reasons christians do not or should not be involved with alot of things other people do.

In addition to what MaddLlama said, occasionally individuals have a need to feel like their religion is so much more special than others as far as moral constraints go.

Which, if you study up on other religions, you'll see pretty soon is not so.

They pretty much all warn that if you surround yourself with spiritual poison, you'll get poisoned by it eventually. There's no great mystery in that, and it isn't unique to Christianity by any means.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
what makes certain types of music "evil" per say is because of the secret messages they give. the way they have horrible effects on people. remember music is a very powerful mood aguster. you can be happy one min and then become emo the next. also what they teach and what the artist represent. is a thing especially christians should not support.

What secret messages, exactly? Can you give some examples and perhaps reference some clinical studies?

And, are you trying to say that emotions are bad for Christians?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Well then, for starters, how about you tell us why Christians and people in general, should consider hip-hop and rap music as an unhealthy thing that is on par with something such as alcohol or drugs?

The same reason we heard what we did about other forms of music before hip hop, JMoum.

Isn't it fascinating that in this country the music that's supposed to be morally degrading is always something that comes out of the African-American community?

Things that make you go hmmmm.......

Hip hop/rap are nothing but poetry set to rhythm. As my husband the poet maintains, if you take poetry out of the hands of the people, they will always take it back somehow. Hip hop is exactly that.

Criticisms of the subject matter in *some* of that music are valid. Criticizing the form itself strikes me as nothing more than a form of racism, however veiled it may be or the critic unaware of the implications.

I could criticize a lot of the subject matter in country tunes as well, showing it's demeaning to women, glorifies alcohol use, etc etc. But we NEVER hear that form of music decried by certain people claiming to be Christian leaders.

I wonder why? :sarcastic

Booko

Deviled Hen
Agreed. If that were effective, wouldn't the best solution for Christians be to begin putting such messages as "repent" and "worship Jesus" in songs destined for radio play? It's "The Great Commission" without all the travel.

I wonder why they haven't thought of that! :D

Maybe we should organize an email campaign and let these guys know about this great suggestion. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Wait, I thought it was Barry White that makes you want to do the horizontal mambo.

Hah...yeah well I've seen some vertical mambo at HS dances lately, but I suppose that's because the admin tolerates it and not because the music "caused" it.

If you played the same tune in another culture, the response would be different.

storm2020

Cliff Richard is evil. He makes ears bleed. And he sings christian songs which send old grannies into a murderous trance....:eek:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
are there any links to a you-tube or google viewing of this series? would be interesting to know what is actually being talked about...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I saw that advertised on TV awhile ago.
I'll bet I can tear the one about Rock 'n Roll to shreds and leave it with nothing after it's lies are taken away.
Allthough I will not deny the music "industry" is quite possibly the most greediest, and most corrupt industry there is. Music should never be a way to make millions or revolve around trends to be considered marketable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Rock is evil ,not rap. Leave it alone. Rap is by far the best type o music next to r and b
BAH!!! I'll take Hendrix, Zombie, Megadeth, Ozzy, Sabbath, Disturbed, and Manson any day. Rap and R/B is my least favorite music.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I saw that advertised on TV awhile ago.
I'll bet I can tear the one about Rock 'n Roll to shreds and leave it with nothing after it's lies are taken away.
Allthough I will not deny the music "industry" is quite possibly the most greediest, and most corrupt industry there is. Music should never be a way to make millions or revolve around trends to be considered marketable.

On this we agree. Not only does the music industry operate on a blood-sucking level, but it's huge marketing budget marginalizes thousands and thousands and thousands of acts that are, many times, better than what is shoved out into the public eye.

Of course, the film and televion industries are just as greedy.

But, that's Mystic going further into off-topic land. Gotta pull in the reins.

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The same reason we heard what we did about other forms of music before hip hop, JMoum.

Isn't it fascinating that in this country the music that's supposed to be morally degrading is always something that comes out of the African-American community?

:clap I see the same thing. It's ridiculous.

Hip hop/rap are nothing but poetry set to rhythm. As my husband the poet maintains, if you take poetry out of the hands of the people, they will always take it back somehow. Hip hop is exactly that.

Criticisms of the subject matter in *some* of that music are valid. Criticizing the form itself strikes me as nothing more than a form of racism, however veiled it may be or the critic unaware of the implications.

I could criticize a lot of the subject matter in country tunes as well, showing it's demeaning to women, glorifies alcohol use, etc etc. But we NEVER hear that form of music decried by certain people claiming to be Christian leaders.

I wonder why? :sarcastic

If only certain people who are harsh critics of hip hop would do a little research into it's roots, they'd see how glaringly obvious they were mistaken.

It's also interesting that when white hip hop artists find some success, they are highly regarded as "artists", but the dominance of blacks in hip hop somehow doesn't account for the artistry they possess by the general public.

I'm a huge fan of the Beastie Boys, but I love introducing The Roots and Big Daddy Kane to anyone who isn't all that familiar with the art.

Peace,
Mystic

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
BAH!!! I'll take Hendrix, Zombie, Megadeth, Ozzy, Sabbath, Disturbed, and Manson any day. Rap and R/B is my least favorite music.

Rock on brother, I listen to them on a daily bases. Plus Mudvayen, Slipknot, and Mushroom Head, and also all the old rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, AC/DC, and so on, if there were hidden messages in them to be evil then I would be a bad person, but I'm not. I'm one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I also agree that music is a strong from of power when it's come to emotions, but when people start blaming it for bad thing it's a cop out, a scape goat for those that can't take responsibility for there own actions.