• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theist or Atheist ?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Theist or Atheist,
Who was the first one on this earth ? and what benefit was he/she getting of being so ?
Theists, obviously. There first had to be someone to say "there is a god" before someone else could answer "I don't believe you".

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Theist or Atheist,
Who was the first one on this earth ? and what benefit was he/she getting of being so ?

Atheist!
First one on this Earth was a more simple bloke, thoughts only for survival....... and reproduction....... heh heh! :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Theist or Atheist,
Who was the first one on this earth ?
I would say that they were Atheists because there would have been no way for anyone to know that God existed until God sent the first Messenger. I believe that dates back to early man, but I do not think the Messenger showed up until there were people to reveal Himself to. Of course nobody really knows what happened that many years ago so this is just a personal opinion.
and what benefit was he/she getting of being so ?
I do not see that there would have been a benefit of being an Atheist, that would just have been the way it was because people don't just decide to believe in God with no evidence. The Messengers have always been the evidence that God exists and that is one reason God sends them.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
When a belief has proved so successful, pervasive and enduring across almost all human societies, the odds on it having 'no advantage' are practically zero.

It is exponentially more likely that you simply haven't worked out what the advantages are.

Many, but probably the main one is the ability to form and unify larger social groups beyond genetic kin. Participation in religious rituals also acts as a sign of group membership, you are paying a 'cost' to belong to the group which helps build trust.

How are you measuring success here?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
They certainly perceived things differently than modern man, and it wouldn't have made a difference either way.

Interestingly, it seems as though the more certain someone appears to be about their own theism or atheism, the more insecure they tend to appear when approaching the opposing view.

chinu

chinu
The same benefit you receive by being an avampirist and an aleprechaunist - freedom from a false, oppressive belief. There is no advantage to dedicating time and other resources to a false belief. As an avampirist, you sleep more soundly at night and don't waste your garlic on nonexistent monsters.

As an aleprechaunist, you are relieved of the futile search for the pot of gold at the ever elusive end of the rainbow. As a secular humanist, I am spared much. Sleeping in on Sundays and using what would have been thrown into the collection plate to attend to my family's needs rather than those of some priest or preacher is a great reward.

Also, freedom from the terror of hell theology That's good. How about the comfort of knowing that when later today, some doe-eyed child dies from leukemia, that it was just rotten luck, and not the plan of some malevolent or indifferent deity.

I have lived both within and without religion. The latter is preferable. That's the advantage, which was lost to the first theists.
Who said you that.. I am avampirist and an aleprechaunist ?

Wrong assumption :)

chinu

chinu
I would guess (and I've probably heard too), that religion started as a way to attempt to explain how the world works. Since the people that were making up the explanations knew so little, their explanations were pretty bad.
Why they got an idea to explain.. how the world works ?

chinu

chinu
Early humans had no concept of god,i.e they did not believe in what they didn't know. So i suppose technically they were atheist.

Benefit? None, it was simply the way life was
If so, what the difference between Early human vs Animals ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would say that they were Atheists because there would have been no way for anyone to know that God existed until God sent the first Messenger. I believe that dates back to early man, but I do not think the Messenger showed up until there were people to reveal Himself to.
Why? Is not Adam your first manifestation of Allah? So, there were theists even before they were banned from the Garden of Eden. So no time lag. Theists were the first on earth. Trailblazer, you do not even understand your own books. An atheist has to remind you.

chinu

chinu
As per what others have said, but it is likely we (our ancestors) were sun-worshippers long before we entertained any concepts of gods, and no doubt we were grateful for what it provided each day (if we were lucky), and no doubt such origins evolved into the many gods and the one God eventually. Was there any benefit to sun-worshipping - especially when looking directly at the sun can damage one's eyes?
Sun-worshippers ?

And what about moon ?
Sun's wife ? :D

And why sun so hot ? and moon cold ? :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If so, that time what was the difference between Animals vs Atheists ?
Ask what is the difference between animals and theists. None. Are not humans animals if they have conflict or fight for imaginary things?
Why they got an idea to explain.. how the world works ?
The shaman will intervene on behalf of others so that they get better hunt and victory against another clan. Of course, the shaman has to be paid for services, tith.