• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theme of the Bible

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
No alot of the Quran, Book of Mormon, and a whole bunch of religious books and teachings that came up took words characters and stories from the old and new testaments, that doesn't prove that they are all approved by God.
Whose to say Jesus was the son of God, and in reality, God GREATLY disapproves of Christianity?

joeboonda

Good point, Paul. The Bible was written by many different men under the direct influence of the Holy Spirit while some of these other 'scriptures' were taken from the Bible and changed and added to by one man. This tells me something important. Let him who has understanding be enlightened.

joeboonda

Could you prove that please?

while some of these other 'scriptures' were taken from the Bible and changed and added to by one man

Could you prove this please?
That the Bible was written by many different men? That is without question. That it was written by men guided by the Holy Spirit? I think it speaks for itself. It has a cohesive unity and one central theme throughout, which is Jesus Christ, the Messiah, revealed from Genesis to Revelation.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
I think it speaks for itself. It has a cohesive unity and one central theme throughout, which is Jesus Christ, the Messiah, revealed from Genesis to Revelation.
Mainly to emphasize the "cohesive unity" part of your point. In the Bible, we find many contradictions and inconsistencies. There simply cannot be any form of unity in the Bible with such self-contradictions.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If it was written by men guided by the Holy Spirit why we find contradictions ?

Because the Holy Spirit was/is filtered through individual minds, all with a different outlook on the same existence. Our interpretations of the Bible are also guided by the same Spirit. :cool:

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
no any letter changed in The Muslims holy book (Qura'an) for about 1400 years:

[112:0] In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
[112:1] Proclaim, "He is the One and only GOD.
[112:2] "The Absolute GOD.
[112:3] "Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten. <A name=4>[112:4] "None equals Him."

WARNING: The following opinion may be offensive. Please realize this is my honest opinion, not an attack on any person or on any person's character.

Sorry but since you brought it up, this is how the Quran appears to me:
a. incomprehensible
b. noncohesive
c. incoherent

Now I am sure there are those who would say the same thing about the Bible. But really in purely literal terms there is no comparison between the two. As a matter of fact it becomes obvious that one borrows heavily from the other, but that's not even the worst of it. Where's the beef? Where's the story? Why would anyone take a bunch of verses and sort them BY LENGTH?? Of COURSE it doesn't "flow". There is no chronology, no heart to it, nothing that to me would place it in the category of readable literature even. It is a mess. It appears contrived.

I came away disappointed, for a reader it's the worst crime any book can commit. For me finally reading the entire Quran was like standing in line to see the emperor's glorious new clothes and then....

This is only MY honest opinion, based on only ONE (interminably boring and frustrating) reading. I promised myself never to put myself through that again.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
The theme of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is one of return from exile.

Good point, Paul. The Bible was written by many different men under the direct influence of the Holy Spirit while some of these other 'scriptures' were taken from the Bible and changed and added to by one man. This tells me something important. Let him who has understanding be enlightened.

That the Bible was written by many different men? That is without question. That it was written by men guided by the Holy Spirit? I think it speaks for itself. It has a cohesive unity and one central theme throughout, which is Jesus Christ, the Messiah, revealed from Genesis to Revelation.

These are excellent posts, :yes: .

moegypt

This is only MY honest opinion, based on only ONE (interminably boring and frustrating) reading. I promised myself never to put myself through that again.

You respond yourself...

If one want to see anything bad .. he will see it bad
interminably boring and frustrating will never lead you to the truth.

AS a muslim, i believe in jesus and Gospel.. the "true" gospel is god words...
Give me it.. and i believe in it!

After multiple christianity holybooks ( may be what you think it is the bible,another christian believe in another one) , humanity need precise holy book ... it is the qura'n.

if you know arabic language deeply... you will "feel" the Qura'n.. and if you read translations i think you will not get this feeling.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Sonic brings up an interesting point though. The Bible is a very unique literary piece in that it incorporates 66 individual books, written by different authors, at different times in history, and yet still remains a wonderful cohesive whole. What other book on the planet can make this kind of claim? And what are the odds that a book like this could be formed?

have you read the Book of Mormon?

moegypt

As a matter of fact it becomes obvious that one borrows heavily from the other

Borrow like this!!!

Luke:
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Qura'n:

5:75. Christ the son of Mary was no more than an apostle; many were the apostles that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how Allah doth make His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!

it is a difference in main faith not in a small point.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
No alot of the Quran, Book of Mormon, and a whole bunch of religious books and teachings that came up took words characters and stories from the old and new testaments, that doesn't prove that they are all approved by God.

have you read any of these religious books that you so easily pass judgment on? What would you say to someone who dismissed the bible as silly fairy tales without having read it? ;)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

and yet another person passing judgement on the Book of Mormon without having read it. Pretty sad really.

Of course if you have read the whole book cover to cover I will happily apologize. :)

What evidence would you provide that the Book of Mormon is just modified bible passages written by one man?

joeboonda

If it was written by men guided by the Holy Spirit why we find contradictions ?
There are books written about what on the surface are seeming conradictions, that when examined more closely are not. I have not found any that do not have a good theological explanation from top Biblical scholars.

joeboonda

The theme of the Old Testament was an eye for an eye.

The theme of the New Testament is Forgiveness.

Quite an evolutionary change.
This is due in part to the fact that the OT gave us the Law, which shows us we are sinners in need of a Saviour, and the NT gives us the Saviour and the free gift of undeserved, unmerited favor (grace)--salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ, who paid for our sins by his death on the cross. The OT showed how the Law is good, but our flesh is weak in that it is indwelt with sin and therefore the Law brings death, thus and eye for an eye, etc. The NT brings us reconcilliation through Christ. Those who have trusted Christ have died in Christ and are now dead to the Law, set free from the law of sin and death. Christ summed up the law as loving God and others. We are free and empowered to live this life of love, thus we can turn the other cheek. The OT is also about forgiveness. God says over and over in the OT that if his people return to him and forsake their wicked ways he will forgive and forget. Anyway, there is more to it than this but t.a.f.n.

joeboonda

Qura'n:

5:75. Christ the son of Mary was no more than an apostle

Bible:

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
John 20
... then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.
29Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. 30And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Acts 20:28
...feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

SoyLeche

meh...
and yet another person passing judgement on the Book of Mormon without having read it. Pretty sad really.

Of course if you have read the whole book cover to cover I will happily apologize. :)

What evidence would you provide that the Book of Mormon is just modified bible passages written by one man?
Not really on topic, but some may find this interesting: On Verifying Wordprint Studies: Book of Mormon Authorship

The conclusion of the study:
Conclusions

By using a new wordprint measuring methodology which has been verified, we show that it is statistically indefensible to propose Joseph Smith or Oliver Cowdery or Solomon Spaulding as the author of the 30,000 words from the Book of Mormon manuscript texts attributed to Nephi and Alma. Additionally these two Book of Mormon writers have wordprints unique to themselves and measure statistically independent from each other in the same fashion that other uncontested authors do. Therefore, the Book of Mormon measures multiauthored, with authorship consistent to its own internal claims. These results are obtained even though the writings of Nephi and Alma were "translated" by Joseph Smith. We also described control studies of modern language academic translations where, in practice, a single translator can consistently preserve the unique wordprints of the several original authors he has translated.