• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theme of the Bible

joeboonda

You missed the point entirely. I was saying that it "wasn't translated by a scholar". If it were, I would expect the text to read differently than the KJV. We really have little knowledge about how the process worked. It's pretty much a certainty that he wasn't looking at the text and saying "this word means 'rock' so that's what I'll put there". Either, by some miraculous process, he was seeing English text, in which case God was doing the translating and was giving the people what they already were comfortable with, or he was getting the basic ideas and was phrasing them in the same way that he was familiar with. Either way it doesn't prove that he plagerized the KJV.

Again - you should try reading the link I posted a while back.
I'm not debating on this thread anymore. We must stop now or get an infraction and I have WAY too many of those! Sorry, was nice to talk to you. Peace!

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Well, look at III Nephi, chapters 12, 13, and 14. They correspond, in King James English, FROM the King James Bible, to Mathew 5, 6, and 7. Its almost word for word all the way through. If this was translated from 1500 year old plates it would read much different. It is impossible that it would just happen to translate exactly as the King James. There are many other phrases unique to the King James Bible that are found all throughout the BoM. It is quite evident to me that J.S. got much of his BoM straight from the KJV, not from 1500 year old "reformed Egyptian" on gold plates.

uh, still your opinion. Your unwillingness to look at the link provided by Soy Leche and your inability to provide any evidence other than to show that Jesus was consistant with his message, shows me that all you have is an opinion on the subject and one that you are not willing to actually examine or put to any test which is why you refuse to read Soy's link.

;)

SoyLeche

meh...
uh, still your opinion. Your unwillingness to look at the link provided by Soy Leche and your inability to provide any evidence other than to show that Jesus was consistant with his message, shows me that all you have is an opinion on the subject and one that you are not willing to actually examine or put to any test which is why you refuse to read Soy's link.

;)
Don't worry about it - I've won this one. Now we can get on with our lives :sleep:

DeepShadow

White Crow
Back on topic, I think the theme of the Bible is God's personal dealings with His children. Them can be explored in different directions, but it all comes back to this.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Sonic brings up an interesting point though. The Bible is a very unique literary piece in that it incorporates 66 individual books, written by different authors, at different times in history, and yet still remains a wonderful cohesive whole. What other book on the planet can make this kind of claim? And what are the odds that a book like this could be formed?

Not so cohesive to the non-Christian reader, I'm afraid. Actually a rather odd hodge-podge from the unbeliever's point of view.

Sonic247

Back on topic, I think the theme of the Bible is God's personal dealings with His children. Them can be explored in different directions, but it all comes back to this.

That another theme that runs throughout the Bible, and you can even say with everyone not only his children. And Jesus Christ is a more specific part of that theme, scripture that can be applied to every dispensation is- "the just shall live by faith", Jesus is the specific object of that faith for even the Old Testament though as we see in Peter-

1 Peter 1:10- Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace [that should come] unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

Sonic247

If we are all his children already why is the Mormon church always seeking new converts? Certainly a child of God has nothing to fear, since he is a righteous father.

arthra

Baha'i
To me the Bible is a library of books..some history...some literature...poetry...and it was revealed over say about a thousand years. So it is record of revelations and describes as a theme the relationship between God and man.

- Art

DeepShadow

White Crow
If we are all his children already why is the Mormon church always seeking new converts? Certainly a child of God has nothing to fear, since he is a righteous father.

An excellent question! I suppose the short answer, as I understand it, is that we are trying to put people in better contact with their Father. It's kinda connected to the Mormon understanding of the afterlife, but suffice it to say that we're less about saving a person from eternal hellfire and more about increasing his or her personal relationship with the divine.

That's my take, at any rate. If you want to discuss it further, we can resurrect SoyLeche's old thread or start a new one.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Joe said:
There are books written about what on the surface are seeming conradictions, that when examined more closely are not. I have not found any that do not have a good theological explanation from top Biblical scholars.

I am sure good theologians can "prove" the Qur'an has no contradicts, as well as the Talmud and the Hadith.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Confining myself to the OT, some major themes seem to be:
1. This land which God gave you, kill everyone in it. (OR, alternatively, the land that God gave us, we killed everyone in it.)
2. How to properly sacrifice animals to God.
3. What you are allowed to eat and not eat, who you are allowed to have sex with/not have sex with, what you are allowed to wear, etc. etc.
4. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no other Gods before me. If you do, I will do terrible things to you.

Those four themes take up most of the pages of the OT.