• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theology is Falsifiable, thus, - Scientific.

MonkeyFire

Hmm...if faith is 'absolute trust', then I see a *very* good reason to reject faith: such absolute trust is dangerous if the ideas trusted are false. And there is no way to know they are true.

Ideas are not false if you believe it. That's what absolute trust is.

Milton Platt

Ideas are not false if you believe it. That's what absolute trust is.

Are you saying that something is true just because you believe it is?
Cool. I believe someone just deposited 3 million dollars in my checking account. Now, let me go see if it's there........

Milton Platt

Good for you, but your probably not believing that.

No, because I have no evidence to support the belief. but you essentially asserted that something is true if you believe it is true. I was simply following your logic to it's inevitable conclusion. Whatever I believe to be true is.......

MonkeyFire

No, because I have no evidence to support the belief. but you essentially asserted that something is true if you believe it is true. I was simply following your logic to it's inevitable conclusion. Whatever I believe to be true is.......

You actually have to be passive and feel the faith. You can't just "say" you believe something and not go through the proper channels, that would be a lie.

Milton Platt

You actually have to be passive and feel the faith. You can't just "say" you believe something and not go through the proper channels, that would be a lie.

But you are effectively implying that something is true because somebody believes it is true. that is patently absurd. Do the Roman and Greek gods exist? is the earth the center of our solar system? These were sincere beliefs held by many.

MonkeyFire

But you are effectively implying that something is true because somebody believes it is true. that is patently absurd. Do the Roman and Greek gods exist? is the earth the center of our solar system? These were sincere beliefs held by many.

A belief has to be true. That is definatvly what faith is.

Milton Platt

I don't think it constitutes a belief at all. It is my good nature anyways.

I d not understand what you mean. Just because someone believes something that is not true does not mean they do not hold the belief.
People hold all sorts of beliefs which turn out to be untrue. A belief is a belief whether what is believed is true or not. I have already given examples of untrue beliefs.

MonkeyFire

I d not understand what you mean. Just because someone believes something that is not true does not mean they do not hold the belief.
People hold all sorts of beliefs which turn out to be untrue. A belief is a belief whether what is believed is true or not.

Imo the premise must be true in order to believe something.

Milton Platt

Imo the premise must be true in order to believe something.

I have already given you examples of people believing in something which is untrue. If you are going to ignore clearly presented facts which directly refute your position, I don't know what else to say.

MonkeyFire

I have already given you examples of people believing in something which is untrue. If you are going to ignore clearly presented facts which directly refute your position, I don't know what else to say.

Those are examples of dis-belief. Either the belief is true and God exist, or the "faith" is really dis-belief and God doesn't exist.

Milton Platt

Those are examples of dis-belief. Either the belief is true and God exist, or the "faith" is really dis-belief and God doesn't exist.

Nope.
People believed the sun revolved around the earth. People believed you could turn lead into gold. People believed lightning was hurled by Thor. People believed you could cure some diseases by bleeding the person.
When Columbus landed in the Americas, he thought he landed in India. Millions of people believed Hillary Clinton would win the last presidential election. They all believed things which were wrong.

MonkeyFire

Nope.
People believed the sun revolved around the earth. People believed you could turn lead into gold. People believed lightning was hurled by Thor. People believed you could cure some diseases by bleeding the person.
When Columbus landed in the Americas, he thought he landed in India. Millions of people believed Hillary Clinton would win the last presidential election. They all believed things which were wrong.

I wouldn't call it that. Faith is an important thing and for it to work it requires science.

Milton Platt

I wouldn't call it that. Faith is an important thing and for it to work it requires science.

Not talking about faith. I haven’t mentioned it once. Talking about belief.

But one can have faith in something that is not true, if you want to use that word. Name something one could not believe on faith alone.

MonkeyFire

Not talking about faith. I haven’t mentioned it once. Talking about belief.

But one can have faith in something that is not true, if you want to use that word. Name something one could not believe on faith alone.

I'm not going to let you abuse my nature. I decline to answer your question.