• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is irrefutable evidence from Polonium halos that the rock layers of the Grand Canyon where all formed in a short time, the worldwide flood.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Can you give a reference?

Again, can you give a reference? Where does the Bible say, for example, that it is already two hours before noon in India when the Sun is rising in Rome?

Job 26:7 says, 'He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.' It does not say that the Earth is spherical. The Greek philosopher Anaximander (ca. 611-540 BC) said much the same thing about the Earth hanging on nothing at about the same time as the book of Job. In any case, the statement is inaccurate. The Earth does not hang on nothing; it is in orbit around the Sun.
The fact is that other ancient societies believed the earth was situated on top of a turtle, or something like that, so the idea that the earth hangs on nothing is perfectly explained in a picturesque way. Hope you can read this -- it's not long but it explains.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a manuscript that has existed for about 4000 years.
The consensus seems to be that the Torah was compiled during and after the Babylonian captivity in the 6th century BCE, using in part earlier written materials which can't be specified, and the rest by about 200 BCE.

The Book of Job, it's thought, was written somewhere between the 7th and 3rd centuries BCE.

Even allowing it's fiction, the morality attributed to God in the Job story ─ ruin, murder, humiliation, degradation, desolation of a good man just for a bet ─ is particularly repulsive.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The consensus seems to be that the Torah was compiled during and after the Babylonian captivity in the 6th century BCE, using in part earlier written materials which can't be specified, and the rest by about 200 BCE.

The Book of Job, it's thought, was written somewhere between the 7th and 3rd centuries BCE.

Even allowing it's fiction, the morality attributed to God in the Job story ─ ruin, murder, humiliation, degradation, desolation of a good man just for a bet ─ is particularly repulsive.
Regardless of what you think about it, mankind is killing itself in many different ways, that including evolution, wars, guns, knives, plus much more. That is, if you believe in evolution, of course.

SavedByTheLord

The kings were to read the law and that was when Saul and David were kings which would have been circa 1000 BC

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regardless of what you think about it, mankind is killing itself in many different ways, that including evolution, wars, guns, knives, plus much more. That is, if you believe in evolution, of course.
I understand what evolution is and, in outline, what the theory of evolution says about it. I'm comfortably persuaded that it's a set of valid scientific theories. One reason for this is that the alternative appears to require belief in magic, and I have no reason to think magic ─ the alteration of reality independently of the rules of reality ─ exists outside of the imagination of individual humans.

You say that "evolution" is one of the ways that "mankind is killing itself". What's an example of your claim?

SavedByTheLord

I understand what evolution is and, in outline, what the theory of evolution says about it. I'm comfortably persuaded that it's a set of valid scientific theories. One reason for this is that the alternative appears to require belief in magic, and I have no reason to think magic ─ the alteration of reality independently of the rules of reality ─ exists outside of the imagination of individual humans.

You say that "evolution" is one of the ways that "mankind is killing itself". What's an example of your claim?
Sorry but evolution is the belief in magic .
Creation by God Almighty is just scientific fact.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The kings were to read the law and that was when Saul and David were kings which would have been circa 1000 BC
As I said, some of the Tanakh may be from texts earlier than the Babylonian captivity, but if so with very rare exceptions it's impossible to say which. There is very little evidence of David outside of the Tanakh's books, but arguably not none. The rules of historical research apply as much to the characters of the Tanakh as to the texts of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans and so on.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry but evolution is the belief in magic .
My definition of truth is that truth is a quality of statements and a statement is true to the extent that it accurately reflects / corresponds to objective reality (the world external to the self).

How do you define "truth"? What definition do you use, and what objective test for truth does it provide?

Creation by God Almighty is just scientific fact.
I recall your saying in the past that God is objectively real, and I asked you to post authentic photos or videos of this objectively real being. But of course you still haven't done so ─ and I suspect that's because you can't ─ and I suspect that's because the only way God is known to exist is as a concept, notion, thing imagined in an individual brain.

So front up with those photos and videos of this real God and show me I'm wrong.

SavedByTheLord

Nope. Nothing in the theory of evolution requires any suspension or violation of natural law.

Since god-magic DOES require the violateion / suspension of natural law, it is anything but scientific.

You managed to get it exactly backwards.
Like the Big Bang which does violate the laws of physics, cause and effect and sanity.
Except evolutionists do not have God Almighty to reduce their false theories.

SavedByTheLord

As I said, some of the Tanakh may be from texts earlier than the Babylonian captivity, but if so with very rare exceptions it's impossible to say which. There is very little evidence of David outside of the Tanakh's books, but arguably not none. The rules of historical research apply as much to the characters of the Tanakh as to the texts of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans and so on.
It was commanded to that any king was to read the law circa 1500 BC. David read it. Josiah read it. So it must have existed in written form circa 1500 BC.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Like the Big Bang which does violate the laws of physics, cause and effect and sanity.

1. notice how you just moved the goalposts from biology to cosmology

2. wrong again (off course). big bang theory does not violate any law of nature either (and causality isn't even a law of physics lol)

Except evolutionists do not have God Almighty to reduce their false theories.
Evolution doesn't require any gods or fairies or angels or leprechauns or whatever other "supernatural" / magical entities you can come up with, to work.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In Deut 17:19 it says that kings were to read a copy of the law. That took place circa 1500 BC. So the law was in written form circa 1500 BC.
No, that is extremely poor reasoning. You keep forgetting that Deuteronomy was written around 500 BCE. They probably had no idea of what was going on a thousand years earlier. In fact Israel in any form probably did not exist then.

You cannot use just the Bible to prove the Bible.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It was commanded to that any king was to read the law circa 1500 BC. David read it. Josiah read it. So it must have existed in written form circa 1500 BC.
No, something may have existed back then and perhaps it more closely or less closely or not at all resembled parts of what has come down to us in the post-Babylonian era, but just what and in what wording we very largely don't know. Nor, to coin a phrase, can any purported claim in the bible to the contrary be taken as gospel.