• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Yep, It was said a lot, I see. Don Adams died, Barbara Feldon is still alive at 91. Of Edward Platt as chief was older, so I know he can't still be alive.

Agent 99 was smarter and more capable than agent 86, that's for sure. She was a capable agent, which made her a good role model for women, and showing her as capable was ahead of its time. On Wikipedia, it says that Don Adams won three emmy awards for Maxwell Smart. The show is described as a combination of James Bond films, and Inspector Clouseau films (Pink Panther). Mel Brooks had a co-creator named Buck Henry. Mel Brooks said "No one had ever done a show about an idiot before. I decided to be the first."

His next important project was "The Producers" which featured a musical as part of it that included the song "Springtime for Hitler". The core idea for the film was that he wanted to have some sort of satire about Hitler with a song "Springtime for Hitler". I loved that movie. In it Brooks featured Gene Wilder for the first time, who went on to star in other Mel Brooks movies, like "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein". I loved Gene Wilder.
Somehow I ended up with one post and another one with an addition.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Some of us do not feel that way. I believe life itself is the proof for God. If someone is not alive there is no proof of God's existence in that person because he (the person) doesn't exist. Even when a person is conceived they have no knowledge of the possibility of God in the womb or even for some time after birth.

Yeah, you feel and believe. That is not the standard for proof as generally used in effect for objective claims about the world or parts of it.

jimb

Premium Member
LOL!!! There is plenty of evidence for God!

I'm pressed for time right now, so here is something to ponder...

Romans 1:18-20, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse."

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
LOL!!! There is plenty of evidence for God!

I'm pressed for time right now, so here is something to ponder...

Romans 1:18-20, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse."
I'm pressed for time right now to so let me respond without giving much thought.
Your "evidence" i.e. Bible verse, is what I would call "babble": words strung together that don't serve a purpose.

It says God makes it plain then also say his attributes are invisible... so they can be clearly seen???

Can you elaborate on how this is evidence for God? You stated nothing of substance for anyone to "ponder".

jimb

Premium Member
I'm pressed for time right now to so let me respond without giving much thought.
Your "evidence" i.e. Bible verse, is what I would call "babble": words strung together that don't serve a purpose.

It says God makes it plain then also say his attributes are invisible... so they can be clearly seen???

Can you elaborate on how this is evidence for God? You stated nothing of substance for anyone to "ponder".

If you consider what the Bible says as "nothing of substance", there is nothing more to discuss.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yeah, you feel and believe. That is not the standard for proof as generally used in effect for objective claims about the world or parts of it
Well, you know it's interesting (at least I think so) that scientists are delving into the intricacies of the brain. So because some people's brains function differently, does that mean that they're "wrong"? For instance, there are people here that claim to have connections with dead persons. How do you feel about that?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, you know it's interesting (at least I think so) that scientists are delving into the intricacies of the brain. So because some people's brains function differently, does that mean that they're "wrong"? For instance, there are people here that claim to have connections with dead persons. How do you feel about that?

No, people are not wrong or right. But that is not the same as if God exists or not.

YoursTrue

No, people are not wrong or right. But that is not the same as if God exists or not.
So let me get this straight about your answer. If someone claims to communicate with a dead person but you personally don't see it (and the person maybe only hears voices), you're saying that could be true, even though you don't have "proof" they are communicating with a dead person? I'm looking forward to your answer. :) Thanks.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So let me get this straight about your answer. If someone claims to communicate with a dead person but you personally don't see it (and the person maybe only hears voices), you're saying that could be true, even though you don't have "proof" they are communicating with a dead person? I'm looking forward to your answer. :) Thanks.

No, to me it is unknown. I don't consider it true or false. I just believe differently.
You have to learn to consider true, false, unknown.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So because some people's brains function differently, does that mean that they're "wrong"?

Not all brains function alike.

I had a long set of experiences dealing with "premonitions" [I prefer "spiritual connection"] several decades later that involved an old girlfriend who changed my life. At first, I thought this was my brain playing tricks on me, but this went on for 2 & 1/2 years and shocked me to my very core as it became obvious that this was very much real. I finally told my wife even before the final year of this, and she believed me even though the other was her "competition" decades ago. It led me to drive 2 hours to the parish mentioned at the bottom of my posts, which led to my return to Catholicism.

This whole invent is way too long to explain and let me also mention that science is "my thing" as you well know so I'm not at all prone to superstition.

jimb

Premium Member
There is plenty of topic with substance to talk about when referring to the Bible.

The verse you provided for evidence for God was empty in that regard.
Thank you for your opinion -- NOT. What you consider many, many people for many, many years have considered it to be just the opposite. You may think that you have understanding, but I think just the opposite.

Anarchy = tragedy. Why do you boast about wanting to overthrow the government?

YoursTrue

I had a long set of experiences dealing with "premonitions" [I prefer "spiritual connection"] several decades later that involved an old girlfriend who changed my life. At first, I thought this was my brain playing tricks on me, but this went on for 2 & 1/2 years and shocked me to my very core as it became obvious that this was very much real. I finally told my wife even before the final year of this, and she believed me even though the other was her "competition" decades ago. It led me to drive 2 hours to the parish mentioned at the bottom of my posts, which led to my return to Catholicism.

This whole invent is way too long to explain and let me also mention that science is "my thing" as you well know so I'm not at all prone to superstition.
righto, and I can understand because -- if I play with 'things' sometimes I can get sidetracked. Our brains are remarkable instruments, aren't they? We (my husband and I used to do that before we studied the Bible -- ) (things like the ouija board, etc.) Although I am willing to have brief conversations showing some what the Bible says now I do not like to let my brain go to a different mode. (It can happen.) Meaning to get involved with spirits, etc. I just read an article about findings about the brain, and it is realized apparently that those considered as brain-dead may actually have thoughts. While I think it is remarkable how scientists can convert brain waves to speech, I am very wary about letting my brain go into different realms. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about.

YoursTrue

Very interesting, thank you.

YoursTrue

@metis -- speaking of brain waves, there is an interesting article in the NY Times recently regarding scientists and patients who are unresponsive, even those whose eyes are open for years but do not communicate, etc Yet are now thought by scientists to actually think. Oh well. I put my faith in God who says He will heal all matters like that so we can live happy productive lives.

YoursTrue

That is a shame that anyone has their life cut so short. We have the life we have. Even if we take the best care of ourselves that we can, we can still end up with the maladies associated with age. I've known several people that didn't bother to eat right, drank at least occasionally, smoked, etc. and lived into their 90's. Some of us are born winners of the genetic lottery and others have to do the best we can. It is difficult to know if you win, since you have to survive that long to know.
Yes -- if not killed in a building collapse or war. For example.

YoursTrue

That is a shame that anyone has their life cut so short. We have the life we have. Even if we take the best care of ourselves that we can, we can still end up with the maladies associated with age. I've known several people that didn't bother to eat right, drank at least occasionally, smoked, etc. and lived into their 90's. Some of us are born winners of the genetic lottery and others have to do the best we can. It is difficult to know if you win, since you have to survive that long to know.
The article about the scientist I read about (NY Times) was saying how he realized that there is a cap upon our years based on cells eventually stopping their reproduction or something like that. Interesting. Do I think God can reverse these things? (You guessed it...) But for now, that's what it is. Physically.

YoursTrue

By the way, I would think so. I still can't figure why Einstein was so concerned with light in outer space. I mean big deal...when I was in school and with some brainy people (I was in the Honor Society among other groups like that), I thought what's the point? But anyway, he died and as I understand it thought he'd had anough of this life. OK, forget about Einstein. I was just hearing a report about lithium batteries and how people want them, but the cost factor comes into play with the manufacturers. They know they're polluting the atmosphere, but hey, money is money I suppose. But I appreciate the Bible at Revelation which says that God will ruin those ruining the earth. I'm looking forward to a beautiful "new earth," as described also in Revelation and Isaiah.

YoursTrue

No, to me it is unknown. I don't consider it true or false. I just believe differently.
You have to learn to consider true, false, unknown.
The ones (here) that claim to have contact with dead people will say they are sure. That they know. So do you think they are lying about this? By the way, such ones do not claim to "believe" they are speaking with the dead -- they claim to "know" they are.