• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I think those who use merely reason should prolytcerize@%%^#$ and advertise. rather they do it then those who submitt to previous convecture without giving things much thought.
well, whatever....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Update: apparently, the ads are too controversial for Halifax. From Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign - Official Website:

Yesterday we official received word from Sherry Kirwin, General Manager of Pattison Maritimes, that our banner is too “controversial” for Halifax Metro Transit.

“We are aware of your message due to the existing media coverage you are experiencing. We are not able to accept your message as it currently reads.
If you would like to submit an alternative message, we will submit that for approval.

If any potential ad message is deemed to be possibly controversial, we must advise the transit system. They rarely refuse creative content, however have advised us that in this particular case, your message has already stirred up enough media exposure across the country to be deemed controversial.

All advertisements must meet acceptable community standards of good taste , quality and appearance . Furthermore, the ads will not be considered discriminatory, or objectionable to any race creed or moral standard“, explained Ms. Kirwin.

Today during an interview, Lori Patterson of Halifax Transit Public Affairs mentioned “[...]this groups ads were known to be or were already viewed to be inflammatory or controversial before they reached this market.” When asked why it would be viewed as “inflammatory” and mentioning that the ads and atheism certainly represents a significant part of the population, she replied stating “it could be viewed as inflammatory to a certain group in population and that is certainly what we’re hearing. We have to recognize that this is an older area of the country and people still have, you know, traditional views. [...] All the calls we’ve been getting have been against us running them.”

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I can't remember, Penguin, was that the slogan in the OP? The "There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life" (to paraphrase)?

challupa

Update: apparently, the ads are too controversial for Halifax. From Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign - Official Website:
They also stated that running anything controversial like religion or politics was not something they got into. I hope that holds true and they stick to not advocating any of those groups to keep it equal. I don't have a problem with them not advertising any of those groups. I would however have a problem if they did ads for religious groups but not for athiest groups.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I have to admit, there are a couple of religious ads that I don't mind, from the God Billboard people:

Don't make Me come down there! ~ God

Keep taking My Name in vain, and I'll make rush hour longer. ~ God

These don't bother me, mostly because I think they're funny. More reasonably, they're not proselytizing or telling you to go to church or anything. At least I don't see them that way. I see them as light-hearted expressions of faith. Also, they strike me as more aimed at the faithful than anything else.

Thoughts?

challupa

I have to admit, there are a couple of religious ads that I don't mind, from the God Billboard people:

These don't bother me, mostly because I think they're funny. More reasonably, they're not proselytizing or telling you to go to church or anything. At least I don't see them that way. I see them as light-hearted expressions of faith. Also, they strike me as more aimed at the faithful than anything else.

Thoughts?
Yes I would agree with that. They are funny and light hearted and anything that makes people smile should be technically a good thing. However, some religious folk might take exception to them I suppose.:shrug:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The first one is my favorite. It gives me this mental image of God as the classical old, bearded man in flowing white robes, hopping up and down on His cloud and yanking at His hair in frustration.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Let me finish that: "Dont make me come down there prove all your religions wrong!" ~ Highest Being
i think this is a good agnostic add that all would agree with.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I can't remember, Penguin, was that the slogan in the OP? The "There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life" (to paraphrase)?
I originally assumed it was, but I've since found out otherwise. The slogan that was rejected in Halifax was "You can be good without God".

I personally see no way that that could be reasonably taken as offensive. Boring, maybe. Offensive, no.

challupa

I originally assumed it was, but I've since found out otherwise. The slogan that was rejected in Halifax was "You can be good without God".

I personally see no way that that could be reasonably taken as offensive. Boring, maybe. Offensive, no.
Actually when you think about it that really speaks volumes for how humanity views itself. It needs a God to be good, what is that???

challupa

The first one is my favorite. It gives me this mental image of God as the classical old, bearded man in flowing white robes, hopping up and down on His cloud and yanking at His hair in frustration.
Yeah makes me laugh just picturing God having a tantrum and all because of little ole us!!:D Kids they can be sooo trying!:yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Update: live in Ottawa? OC Transpo has decided that you don't get to see "no God" ads on your buses - Article.

Apparently, an atheist ad is "religious advertising which might be offensive to transit users", but Alpha Course ads aren't. Hmm.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Update: live in Ottawa? OC Transpo has decided that you don't get to see "no God" ads on your buses - Article.

Apparently, an atheist ad is "religious advertising which might be offensive to transit users", but Alpha Course ads aren't. Hmm.
What do Alpha Course ads say?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What do Alpha Course ads say?
I haven't seen the ones in Ottawa specifically, but generally, they have a message like "there's more to life than this" with the URL for a web site where one can sign up for an "Introduction to Christianity"/proselytization course.

Edit: I was wrong on their slogan. According to the Alpha Canada web site, it's "Is there more to life than this?"

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I'd love to see these flashed on highway traffic info signs during rush hour. They might lighten things up a bit.:angel2:

Comicaze247

See the previous line
:shrug: I don't see a problem with it. It's a perfectly good way to get people to see religious advertising for what it is: propaganda. In my opinion, intelligent people would see that it is no different than religious advertising. A sharing of beliefs in a way that could get people to think.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Thoughts?

Religious slogans annoy agnostics and non-theists; and this advertisement is only going to be doing the same thing to theists.

At the end of the day, though... is a difference of opinion really worth fighting over? In a perfect world, people would be able to voice their opinion and no one would be upset by it. Meh.... :D

Last edited: